British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, jenga said:

i can see all those away supporters turning up for a meeting @ brough park or whatever its called now  even when their team is not racing there !  todays away supporters only go  to visit away tracks when their team are  riding . but on the very odd occasion i did go to Redcar to see darcy ward @ redcar . but thats a track you can and do race on . 

i think its the feedback from other supporters/fans that have come up with the same conclusion that the track requires special powers to get the best out of it .

workington has dirt on it , . smooth-ish on the inside and grippy on the outside , armadillo !

that Lyle Howarth sounds a good prospect tho . 

Oh no it doesn't sometimes. Like Berwick, the track most times start smooth and then dirt blasted off the surface is mover around during to meeting try and make it consistent. I was there for the Ippy meeting in about August (when Schlein got badly injured) and from the height of the first bend, you could see it was bald all meeting and with dangerous ripple going across the racing line, Try checking your program for that meeting and note how many trips to the fence were had there because it was hard and bald with no grip. 

Kyle is a nice lad and a good rider, but when he gets to Newcastle, like Nick Morris, he forgets to use his brain and just grabs a handful of power, and can spin off and into the fence usually 2nd or 4th corners. How is it that lesser riders can come away uninjured with a higher score, because the watched how to ride it and used the grip help them, not to make them lose control. I have heard many times that riders like riding at Newcastle for us, because once they can ride it every week, they know the visitors don't have that confidence, and can then get beat. Look at how Ludde used to fly around the outside at incredible speed with full of confidence, Aaron Summers and Robert L:ambert are usually the same.  Having had 4 World Champs wasn't by accident. Going to be good to see how Lunna rides and learns this year.

Edited by Tsunami

Nike is full throttle hang on type of guy so I would get a large amount of spare bags Dave.  Be great to watch with anticipation every time he goes in to the corner never knowing if he’s coming out the other end .

• Haha 1

I personally wouldn't actually mind going to the odd meeting at Brough Park, but that isn't currently going to happen, when the money I allocated for watching speedway this year is sitting somewhere in Workington Comets' bank account/has been used by the promotion to pay off debts.

Today's latest was that I might be receiving a refund in a 'couple of weeks'...the same line that has been given to my wife the last two times she has made enquiries too...

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Oh no it doesn't sometimes. Like Berwick, the track most times start smooth and then dirt blasted off the surface is mover around during to meeting try and make it consistent. I was there for the Ippy meeting in about August (when Schlein got badly injured) and from the height of the first bend, you could see it was bald all meeting and with dangerous ripple going across the racing line, Try checking your program for that meeting and note how many trips to the fence were had there because it was hard and bald with no grip. 

Kyle is a nice lad and a good rider, but when he gets to Newcastle, like Nick Morris, he forgets to use his brain and just grabs a handful of power, and can spin off and into the fence usually 2nd or 4th corners. How is it that lesser riders can come away uninjured with a higher score, because the watched how to ride it and used the grip help them, not to make them lose control. I have heard many times that riders like riding at Newcastle for us, because once they can ride it every week, they know the visitors don't have that confidence, and can then get beat. Look at how Ludde used to fly around the outside at incredible speed with full of confidence, Aaron Summers and Robert L:ambert are usually the same.  Having had 4 World Champs wasn't by accident. Going to be good to see how Lunna rides and learns this year.

no dirt on it eh !.......  so how come when a rider falls off he is covered in fairy dust , as are the bikes ? hmmmm .

At least you've got a reply moomin  man.im still waiting for one of them to see if I'm getting my money back I paid the promotion.

11 hours ago, moomin man 76 said:

I personally wouldn't actually mind going to the odd meeting at Brough Park, but that isn't currently going to happen, when the money I allocated for watching speedway this year is sitting somewhere in Workington Comets' bank account/has been used by the promotion to pay off debts.

Today's latest was that I might be receiving a refund in a 'couple of weeks'...the same line that has been given to my wife the last two times she has made enquiries too...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

At least you've got a reply moomin  man.im still waiting for one of them to see if I'm getting my money back I paid the promotion.

I'm pretty sure that Laura has more than enough integrity to ensure all monies paid by fans will be returned in full.

• Like 2

Newcastle is a track that does require more learning than most. For me the entrance to the first turn is too tight which appears to result in many more spills than any other Championship track that I can think of.  There is room to alter the shape but obviously this would erode home advantage.

The most accomplished away riders who are also slick gaters do alright on it but  I've always felt that the excitement struggles to get past a certain level. I've been on many occasion when poor throttle control has been given as the reason for the frequency of falls  but this has rarely been entirely true in my experience . The inconsistency of track prep has played its part and has created problems even for the likes of Lambert and Cook.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Newcastle is a track that does require more learning than most. For me the entrance to the first turn is too tight which appears to result in many more spills than any other Championship track that I can think of.  There is room to alter the shape but obviously this would erode home advantage.

The most accomplished away riders who are also slick gaters do alright on it but  I've always felt that the excitement struggles to get past a certain level. I've been on many occasion when poor throttle control has been given as the reason for the frequency of falls  but this has rarely been entirely true in my experience . The inconsistency of track prep has played its part and has created problems even for the likes of Lambert and Cook.

What a convenient statement to make. We run inside a dog track and our straights are the legal minimum width of 8m to allow for a larger swinging bend. We took the inside line in by 2m in the late 90's to give more room, so your comment about not doing it for home advantage is way out of line.  It's called dirt and gives grip and it's there to be ridden. if you want smooth poor passing tracks there are plenty of them but fans complain about dull racing. Nowt to do with poor track prep as we have Jonny Swales who you should know.

Lambert learnt to ride it, but Cook has never had problems at Brough and is probably the most accomplished rider over the years and that is shown by his tremendous level of scoring on our track. it is one of his favourite tracks, his words no mine. 

14 hours ago, jenga said:

no dirt on it eh !.......  so how come when a rider falls off he is covered in fairy dust , as are the bikes ? hmmmm .

Simple. In that Ippy meeting, riders from both sides slid off because of no dirt and the cross ripples of the first bend and collected the dirt that was lying at the base of the air fence skirt.

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

What a convenient statement to make. We run inside a dog track and our straights are the legal minimum width of 8m to allow for a larger swinging bend. We took the inside line in by 2m in the late 90's to give more room, so your comment about not doing it for home advantage is way out of line.  It's called dirt and gives grip and it's there to be ridden. if you want smooth poor passing tracks there are plenty of them but fans complain about dull racing. Nowt to do with poor track prep as we have Jonny Swales who you should know.

Lambert learnt to ride it, but Cook has never had problems at Brough and is probably the most accomplished rider over the years and that is shown by his tremendous level of scoring on our track. it is one of his favourite tracks, his words no mine. 

Just subjective perceptions from meetings attended and not always to watch the Comets. Cookie had a good apprenticeship at Edinburgh.

8 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Just past derwent park lots of vans in the pits !

Probably a meeting with the Rugby Club to see how they can extend the centre green to accomodate the Reds Football team !:o

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Probably a meeting with the Rugby Club to see how they can extend the centre green to accomodate the Reds Football team !:o

or clearing out all the speedway fixtures and fittings ready for the big sale !

reds move into Derwent park sometime in May  as i was informed yesterday .

2 hours ago, jenga said:

Thats been done very quick.

2 hours ago, jenga said:

Are the Reds not finishing their season at Borough Park and moving over in Sept, ?This is all assuming the new stadium gets planning permission ! an 8000 seat stadium is going to need a hell of a lot more parking than looks to be earmarked, there are cars everywhere when they have 800 at Derwent Park. Bigger worry is if they extend the pitch for the foorball what about the track :S