British Speedway Forum

It is not the present BSPA's fault & people should get real as the decline has been happening for this last 8 to 10 years. The decisions made, though, this last 2 years with the J Holder debate & the changing of Friday fixtures to teams, supposedly, main race nights which should have been the norm from decisions made at the AGM but when the fixtures came out, no-one could foresee the problems that would later arise & not just at CL level but PL as well. Even in the NL teams struggled to get 7 riders either through school, travel, work or couldn't be arsed.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, geoff100 said:

Just past derwent park lots of vans in the pits !

from what ive been told the vans were probably the unpaid workers 

tarted up term for what was once known as community service  when you been a naughty boy or girl

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Laura bought the club from Keith Denham for a 6 figure sum of money. How was the club ever worth that sort of money? Genuine question as to what assets in the business would ever equate to anything that was even near to that valuation.

If it was a six-figure sum then you are right. It never was worth anything like that for the assets she acquired ( basically the right to promote speedway there  and a few riders -  which are never really viable assets ) . It was at the start of the terminal decline and Laura put her money where her heart is to sadly only see it slide into a sinkhole. Even though crowds were only just viable then, all new promoters believe that they can stimulate new interest ( or bring back those who have walked away ).

41 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

If it was a six-figure sum then you are right. It never was worth anything like that for the assets she acquired ( basically the right to promote speedway there  and a few riders -  which are never really viable assets ) . It was at the start of the terminal decline and Laura put her money where her heart is to sadly only see it slide into a sinkhole. Even though crowds were only just viable then, all new promoters believe that they can stimulate new interest ( or bring back those who have walked away ).

Who issues the rights to be able to promote anywhere, the BSPA? I can't imagine that is worth the paper it's written on. 

just change the name  have 3 and a 1/2 laps in a race, the start being on one side of the track and the finish on the back straight  . then sleeve down the motors from 500 to 450 . have an extra  1 or 2 heats and then rake in the cash .lol.

only prob i can see is the ACU . standard equipment  , set money and all that. 

but its too late now, the bubble is losing air at a rapid rate and  its the bspa/scb that have a big part to play in it .

ahh well , happy daze . not .

anyone seen SNOW volleyball . now thats another take on that sport !

Edited by jenga

On 2/7/2019 at 1:52 PM, Tosh1218 said:

Let’s be honest now and look at it properly 

1- Rye House we’re closed down due to monetary problems 

2- Workington could have been closed down with the same problems last year 

3- if you think putting Workingtons licence on ice for 2019 and be back up and running for 2020  get real 

Ask Long Eaton, Hull vikings , Bradford Dukes fans if this will come true as this was the statement put out to there fans when speedway was suspended at there tracks 

For speedway to survive in this country at championship level costs have to be cut and riders will have to become semi-professional riders 

Why can’t people see what is happening 

All Teams in All leagues have to agree a budget and stick to that budget 

if I was in business and my outgoings are more than the income , then I would close down , until people stop looking through rose tinted glasses and wake up Speedway will be defunct within s decadee

I'm a comets fam through an through an have missed a handful of meetings since the re launch in 99. Being honest an not letting my heart rule my head, I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever see the comets on track ever again. 

As stated on posts on this forum, costs need looked at, also some sort of cap across the board needs implemented. As Laura Morgan stated herself, there was a meeting with the bspa about every club needing to reduce costs then the next thing Glasgow are offering stupid amounts of money to tempt riders.

Who are Glasgow going to race against If this carrys on? Themselfs. 

Also Any good businessman will only loose money for soo long, look at Keith Denham, who in all honesty probably has a bigger personal fortune than the brothers at Glasgow, not only did he offload the comets, but at the end did he was nowhere to be seen when help was needed. 

Moving on to rob Godfrey in this week's speedway star, that's just comedy gold. A promoter trying to save British speedway. What a laugh, the man hammered a couple of nails in the comets coffin with his interference an objections reguarding fixtures.

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, IronScorpion said:

It is not the present BSPA's fault & people should get real as the decline has been happening for this last 8 to 10 years. The decisions made, though, this last 2 years with the J Holder debate & the changing of Friday fixtures to teams, supposedly, main race nights which should have been the norm from decisions made at the AGM but when the fixtures came out, no-one could foresee the problems that would later arise & not just at CL level but PL as well. Even in the NL teams struggled to get 7 riders either through school, travel, work or couldn't be arsed.

Whether we like it or not guests are a big part of speedway now, the problem with using guests on Fridays should have been seen before the fixture list was released. 

Edited by comet49
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Midget said:

I'm a comets fam through an through an have missed a handful of meetings since the re launch in 99. Being honest an not letting my heart rule my head, I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever see the comets on track ever again. 

As stated on posts on this forum, costs need looked at, also some sort of cap across the board needs implemented. As Laura Morgan stated herself, there was a meeting with the bspa about every club needing to reduce costs then the next thing Glasgow are offering stupid amounts of money to tempt riders.

Who are Glasgow going to race against If this carrys on? Themselfs. 

Also Any good businessman will only loose money for soo long, look at Keith Denham, who in all honesty probably has a bigger personal fortune than the brothers at Glasgow, not only did he offload the comets, but at the end did he was nowhere to be seen when help was needed. 

Moving on to rob Godfrey in this week's speedway star, that's just comedy gold. A promoter trying to save British speedway. What a laugh, the man hammered a couple of nails in the comets coffin with his interference an objections reguarding fixtures.

You would have been better saying nothing rather than some of the absolute crap you put in that.

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, Tosh1218 said:

Let’s be honest now and look at it properly 

1- Rye House we’re closed down due to monetary problems 

2- Workington could have been closed down with the same problems last year 

3- if you think putting Workingtons licence on ice for 2019 and be back up and running for 2020  get real 

Ask Long Eaton, Hull vikings , Bradford Dukes fans if this will come true as this was the statement put out to there fans when speedway was suspended at there tracks 

For speedway to survive in this country at championship level costs have to be cut and riders will have to become semi-professional riders 

Why can’t people see what is happening 

All Teams in All leagues have to agree a budget and stick to that budget 

if I was in business and my outgoings are more than the income , then I would close down , until people stop looking through rose tinted glasses and wake up Speedway will be defunct within s decadee

I think you are absolutely right about the part time status for riders. At the moment it seems to me that the sport is being run for their benefit and that just has to stop.

Having said that, Hull, Bradford & Long Eaton all closed due to the loss of their stadiums rather than financial difficulties.

I also think that sports teams are different to running a commercial business, and that is reflected right across the spectrum. Whereas a business just has to make money, many sports teams these days are more of a private hobby for wealthy individuals. Rugby Union's premiership, for example, loses tens of millions a year and the majority of clubs are supported by private backers.

The problem isn't losing money so much as the scale of the losses. If Laura Morgan had been blowing £5,000 a year rather than £50,000 a year supporting the Comets I think its highly likely they would still be in operation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, comet49 said:

Whether we like it or not guests are a big part of speedway now, the problem with using guests on Fridays should have been seen before the fixture list was released. 

I agree that guests are part of our sport & we are, also, trying to lesson the number of "doubling" riders by trying to bring British riders through, steadily, with the new system rather then the ill fought EDR system.

When you put your team together, although late last year, having to pay riders that little bit more than you would have budgeted for then to see that you would have a memorable season which would cost you a lot of money & force through a decision to "go on ice" hopefully, for a year before coming back in 2020. I wish I could see what the future holds because I would then buy a lottery ticket with the winning numbers for tonight......................... I REST MY CASE!

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I agree that guests are part of our sport & we are, also, trying to lesson the number of "doubling" riders by trying to bring British riders through, steadily, with the new system rather then the ill fought EDR system.

When you put your team together, although late last year, having to pay riders that little bit more than you would have budgeted for then to see that you would have a memorable season which would cost you a lot of money & force through a decision to "go on ice" hopefully, for a year before coming back in 2020. I wish I could see what the future holds because I would then buy a lottery ticket with the winning numbers for tonight......................... I REST MY CASE!

if the case is too heavy for you mate . put it down . thats all H18TORY now .... .good luck in 2019 .

8 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Dead easy to cut down the number of guests. Each team to have a NL (2.00) no. 8. Guest for your number 1 only. R/R for nos. 2 to 5. If both teams are using R/R then your highest reserve is promoted into the team and your no. 8 takes his reserve spot.

• Like 7

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, leander said:

Dead easy to cut down the number of guests. Each team to have a NL (2.00) no. 8. Guest for your number 1 only. R/R for nos. 2 to 5. If both teams are using R/R then your highest reserve is promoted into the team and your no. 8 takes his reserve spot.

I really like this suggestion :)

But it will probably be to easy and simple for the BSPA to adopt unfortunately.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, leander said:

This always used to be the case.

no 6 man teams riding against 6 man teams, one injured in each team, bring in the number 8s

don't why this cant still be done

• Like 1