British Speedway Forum

On a positive Cumbrian note it's good to see 3 Cumbrian marras in the recently announced team GB squad, Craig cook, Richard Lawson and Dan bewley

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

As there is no Workington Speedway in 2019, surely it is time to move (close) this thread in the Championship section of this forum and move (start anew) in a more appropriate place.

yea ... just close the pucker down and let us all rest in peace . while we are at it, lets just close the whole of uk speedway down and cut out the middle men . extremely selfish post .the die hards of workington speedway live in hope . while people like you just live . will you make the same COMmEnT  next year when another club  goes to the wall ? 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

As there is no Workington Speedway in 2019, surely it is time to move (close) this thread in the Championship section of this forum and move (start anew) in a more appropriate place.

There by the grace of god....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Just been the town match lucky if there were 500 there track looked good no markings on it , £25,000000 on a 8000 seater stadium from a council with no money for people who wont use it wish they would go look at belle vue and give us one of those stadiums .

There was an attendance of 901 at the Town match yesterday.

A figure that would have possibly seen Comets workable????

The metal markers,on the track, would have been removed as per player safety obligations.

6 hours ago, singy13 said:

There was an attendance of 901 at the Town match yesterday.

A figure that would have possibly seen Comets workable????

The metal markers,on the track, would have been removed as per player safety obligations.

If there were 901 in derwentpark yesterday comets crowds didnt look that bad then   stand was empty apart from a good few on back straight it looked poor 

• Like 1

As they tapes going up gets closer  for the new season it still feels wrong that Workington aren't there things should never got that bad as for what to do with our Saturday nights who knows not much else tbh  as for for who I will be following I am comets all the way and will follow Dan Kyle and cookie but it doe its doesn't feel right dolling another team ie Glasgow or pboro or bvue for the local boys it should be worky  I have to agree the chance of coming back next year are really slim if it did it would be any present u get  heres to memories we have of the best team in the nwest of England the mighty comets 2018 triple champions 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, geoff100 said:

If there were 901 in derwentpark yesterday comets crowds didnt look that bad then   stand was empty apart from a good few on back straight it looked poor 

And daft as it sounds I used to think the crowds at Comets meetings were generally higher than 500......................I('ve) faithfully follow(ed) both teams at Derwent Park..a 'Townie since the 1960's..and used to be able to, quite accurately, name the attendance figures prior to them being announced.

Maybe I need to go to 'Specsavers' because I've most certainly lost that inbuilt talent in recent times.....or have I ?

Edited by singy13

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

And daft as it sounds I used to think the crowds at Comets meetings were generally higher than 500......................I('ve) faithfully follow(ed) both teams at Derwent Park..a 'Townie since the 1960's..and used to be able to, quite accurately, name the attendance figures prior to them being announced.

Maybe I need to go to 'Specsavers' because I've most certainly lost that inbuilt talent in recent times.....or have I ?

Back in the days of Peter Waite at Berwick, he put a realistic figure on the amount of paying adults (full entry & concession), that figure was 750.  With the increase in overheads, I would say that any crowd below 800, that club will be struggling, unless they have a generous donor backing the shortfall

3 hours ago, singy13 said:

Me too i know they wouldnt put the crowd up it just didnt look like 900 people there lol

Ian thomas said at the fans night in 1998 that 750 was needed back then  so mr mole and denham had some good times wish was same for laura 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Me too i know they wouldnt put the crowd up it just didnt look like 900 people there lol

Football crowds published include season ticket holders (who may or may not be there), complimentary tickets given to players and officials (which may or may not be used), press passes (which may or may not be used) and those in hospitality (may be indoors or behind glass). So just because the published crowd is 901, that doesn't mean to say there was 901 people there. 

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Football crowds published include season ticket holders (who may or may not be there), complimentary tickets given to players and officials (which may or may not be used), press passes (which may or may not be used) and those in hospitality (may be indoors or behind glass). So just because the published crowd is 901, that doesn't mean to say there was 901 people there. 

Honestly

Went past the place Sunday on my way shopping and there were quite a few cars in and around Derwent Park and the car park looked quite full, which although isn't an indicator of the crowd it did look busy to be fair. (as busy as a Speedway night anyway as I mentioned it in the car when passing, so it was noticeable)

However the laugh is when I was on the drink in Maryport on Friday night and chatting to an Allerdale Councillor who stated the new  (£25M) stadium is being built on the premise that the Rugby club will start attracting crowds of 7,500 and the football 2,500 fans when they move into the new stadium.

I am not sure who came up with these figures and neither was he to be fair however I think the only way they will be attracting crowd numbers like that will be if they start mugging people outside on the  street and dragging them in.

Neither the Rugby or the Football want to run the new stadium so it is being mooted that an FM company will be brought in to run it as a franchise. I doubt any FM company in their right minds would take a venture on like this. It will be interesting to see what actually does happen. 

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Geoff

Just to let you know..I have sent you a PM. 

Cheers

9 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Ian thomas said at the fans night in 1998 that 750 was needed back then  so mr mole and denham had some good times wish was same for laura 

You're opening night when we were the opposition, you had a crowd of 4400. For years after that, with Peter I and Stoney as your top riders, you used to average 2200, a lot of whom came to Brough to try and turn us over. Your away fans paid many a big bill for us, so thank you for their attendances. :P 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2