British Speedway Forum

On 11/2/2018 at 1:43 PM, StuM179 said:

Hi, how do I contact someone to find out more information about this please?? Have tried to message Laura on Facebook but to no avail. 

Try doing a PM to THJ on here. Look in your profile for a link to it. He doesn't bite that much.

• Like 1

dont think you will get much response until after the A.G.M.

45 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Try doing a PM to THJ on here. Look in your profile for a link to it. He doesn't bite that much.

He'll be nursing his hangover today :drink:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Byker Biker said:

He'll be nursing his hangover today :drink:

He'll be used to them by now, BB. :P

• Haha 1

Although i couldnt get to the "do" on fri was nice ro see the riders who could make it looking good with the trophies, nice to see ty smiling sometimes watching him in the pits he comes across as a bit bad tempered. Well done to liz on her award thats a tie u owe me !see u all in april next year i hope

• Like 1

Here is a genuine question? (lights blue touch paper and stands well back)

Everyone has an opinion on what the entry fee should be to watch speedway. (Open to all)
Many are of the opinion that it is a £10 quid sport.
Here are some indicative prices
Cinema tickets average from £8 to £12 
Average price of West End tickets £35 to £65
Provincial Theatre £15 to £59
Premiership Football £25 to £99
Premiership Rugby £12 to £18 standing £21 to £35 seated
Ice Hockey £10 to £20
Basketball £18

So what do you think is a reasonable price for watching Speedway in 2019?
Should there be an age concession as pensioners now have more disposable cash than workers these days
Glasgow have done away with the age Concession (is it ageist to discriminate against older/younger people)

So as a rough guide there are two ranges
(and lets base it on an average crowd of 500 adults and 50 under 16's)

Adult between 16 and 160?
Child Under 16?

More to follow

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key word

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here is a genuine question? (lights blue touch paper and stands well back)

Everyone has an opinion on what the entry fee should be to watch speedway. (Open to all)
Many are of the opinion that it is a £10 quid sport.
Here are some indicative prices
Cinema tickets average from £8 to £12 
Average price of West End tickets £35 to £65
Provincial Theatre £15 to £59
Premiership Football £25 to £99
Premiership Rugby £12 to £18 standing £21 to £35 seated
Ice Hockey £10 to £20
Basketball £18

Should there be an age concession as pensioners now have more disposable cash than workers these days
Glasgow have done away with the age Concession (is it ageist to discriminate against older/younger people)

So as a rough guide there are two ranges

Child Under 16?

More to follow

Regards
THJ

Pensioners have more disposable income then workers!!!,where does that stat come from?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Pensioners have more disposable income then workers!!!,where does that stat come from?

There have been a few studies/articles setting out this point which have resulted in some heated debates on several threads

56 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I don't see Speedway as a £10 sport at all, too little for top entertainment.......the 2018 rates at Workington being fair for all. (£16 and £13.....kids ???)

Yes pensioners should have their concession................those who disagree will be guaranteed to change their minds in the future....shame on greedy Glasgow.

"pensioners have more disposable income than workers.".....wow. no way ....especially if you work at Sellafield...top pay......outdoes pension by far....had taste of this former comfort and now on much less via latter coz of age.....not by choice lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Ive cut it down to what I see as the most important point

Whilst the sport can only attract 500 or so then the price charged is almost irrelevant IMO

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

There have been a few studies/articles setting out this point which have resulted in some heated debates on several threads

Correct and I didn't want to get into this; however

It is assumed that older persons have all the things they need by the time they reach an age such as a mortgage that will be paid off, or assistance with rent and poll tax. Disposable income is defined as money that a person has left over to spend as he/she wishes after all of their required expenses have been paid. An example of disposable income is the £100 left in your account once all of your bills have been paid, persons of a younger age will have more coincidental bills. My old fella (85 coming up) saves a grand every ten weeks from his pensions. I work and have three leeches (oops shouldn't call the kids that but you know what I mean) who are a drain on my resources. Its a lifestyle choice and not everybody is the same there are "haves" and "have not's" in all strata's of life.

The Office of National Statistics produced a report in August 2017 that proved this fact that average disposable income is increasing at a faster rate for retirees than for people of working age in the UK, as Britain’s once-generous occupational pension schemes mature, according to an analysts. 

However, the study — which considered pensioners’ living standards during the past 40 years and was actually published by the ONS — showed that the growing role of private pension income has contributed to widening inequality among pensioners.

Between 1977 and 2015-16, the disposable income of retired households increased on average by 2.8 per cent a year, after accounting for inflation and changes to household composition, compared with average annual growth among non-retired households of 2.1 per cent.

Overall, this has contributed to a sharp fall in pensioner poverty. In 1977, pensioners were more than twice as likely to be in poverty as the population as a whole. They now face roughly the same chance of living in poverty as the general population. If anyone is interested and can't sleep the link is below

https://www.ft.com/content/1549789a-7c42-11e7-9108-edda0bcbc928

But I don't want to go down that route because when can you call someone a pensioner these days without sounding ageist, also there is no retirement age now so it is a bit of a misnomer

However sorry if I have offended anyone that was not my intention I have asked a blunt question and therefore getting back to the question

What is a fair entry fee to watch Speedway for the following demographics

Child Under 16?

Regards
THJ

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Not all of them... some have tight budgets

The vast majority of entertainment venues have reductions for pensioners and so they should

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Ive cut it down to what I see as the most important point

Whilst the sport can only attract 500 or so then the price charged is almost irrelevant IMO

Bruv hear what you are saying and do not fundamentally disagree however if the sport is attracting these numbers you have to cut your cloth to length. So 500 people paying £15 generates £7500 this has to pay for 1 home and 1 away meeting  7 riders on £55 a point as a team average (which is very (very) conservative) and to win the league you pay out an average of 63 points at home and 52 points away (these figures include bonus points) is a wage bill of £6325 add in a stadium rent of £1200  and a fuel bill of  £262.50 (7 x 250 @ 0.15 pence per mile) 14 tyres at £15 = £210 before you pay for the likes of insurances and the incidental costs associated that's your £7500 gone. The costs given are very basic to running a team, so that 500 figure is (my uneducated guess) the bottom line as far as a fan base can go I believe without changing other factors. So you have forced my hand sooner than I wanted to show it (crafty sod lol) however that is why I asked the question.

The often heard cry is "its a £10 quid sport" however not under the current structure its not, it cant be unless you have a "Sugar Daddy" with bottomless pockets, furthermore clubs have tried £10 entry meetings and put zip on the crowd figures. So; and this is totally from a viable business perspective and looking at it as a businessman; what is needed to support a Championship Winning team financially. (without the need of a benefactor willing to write off thousands of pounds).

500 adults at £16 = £8000
500 adults at £18 = £9000
500 adults at £20 = £10,000

What do people perceive as value for money to watch a championship (hopefully wining) speedway team
What interests me is at what price would you kill it, £25 a head? Thought I had posted a sensible question but it looks like I am going to get slaughtered. (Glasgow had the idea first to do away with a pensioner rate, I'm just fishing out of curiosity) There are only certain things you can do and something has to give. So 6 man teams and a reduced wage bill, get the average points money down to £40 a point across the team and this gets the wage bill down to £4600 however the big question that brings up is what standard of rider can you bring in? Will the product still make all those fans happy or by diluting the product do you lose another 100 off the gate further reducing the income, its "Catch 22"

Of course the other remedy is find another 250 fans which isn't many is it,  (not much) giving out free tickets a few seasons back only put 260 on the crowd, although the average did go up by 11 in subsequent weeks. So the question still remains how much are people prepared to pay for a competitive championship team or how much can they tolerate if the team just takes part never having the opportunity to win anything?

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight

38 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Not all of them... some have tight budgets

The vast majority of entertainment venues have reductions for pensioners and so they should

But why should they? why cant I pay the same price as a pensioner, its Ageist, I as a younger person, or person who is perceived (or is) less than retirement age! why cant I pay the same as a pensioner, we both watch the same 4 guys going round a track, so maybe the question should be what should a person "67 or over" pay to watch Speedway and a person under 16. (by the way I have put 67 as that is the age I can officially get my pension. note I didn't say old age pension as I believe that is not not politically correct)

So the revised question is

Adult over 67?
Child Under 16?

Regards
THJ

i take it this is leading up to getting rid of concessions for older fans . there are prob more older fans than young uns around following speedway .

but i think the present entry fee is good and needs no tweaking , HOWEVER the  start time in march  is way too cold for the young uns and some older gits ..

running speedway in oct ish is crazy. in reality we all want to be watching speedway in summer , short n t shirtz . families enjoying the sun on their backs and getting covered in dust . 

so for me , personally .the going rate is just about on the money . 

B.S.P,A./S.C.B.  built it and they will come (taken from ..  a field of dreams,,,  film )