British Speedway Forum

Very sad news to read this morning. 

This terrible news leaves a few riders without a team in 2019. The future looks very bleak for British speedway...

• Like 1

PR disaster for the Championship at this time.

Didn't Laura help out Edinburgh with a rather large cheque once?? If so maybe she could ask for some help back

Gutted for the comets,, may favourite place to visit. 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Didn't Laura help out Edinburgh with a rather large cheque once?? If so maybe she could ask for some help back

Gutted for the comets,, may favourite place to visit. 

50k was the figure. Isn't it ironic, that 50k would probably kept us going for another season

• Like 3

I heard of a figure higher than that.,

Would a go fund me page help,, has to be worth a try. 

27 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

This terrible news leaves a few riders without a team in 2019. The future looks very bleak for British speedway...

It does but this has proven that the team was hired falsely, if you aren't sure of running you shouldn't be able to assemble a side, most if not all of those riders would have been snapped up months ago if they had been known to be available.

Gutted for the riders and fans and for Laura who has given so much to the Comets, speedway is in a bad way

Very sad news ,another good venue lost to the sport.

Edited by Fromafar

Seems to be a tradition in speedway, win the league and close down. Sorry for the riders and supporters.

DEVASTATED.......but maybe not 100% surprised...I was gonna post last night following my visit to Derwent Park yesterday to watch Town v Haven...I'm possibly one of the few who support both Comets and Town?

Anyway what got me worried re Comets was when the guys I always stand with at Town matches were in unison with a story re the proposed new stadium and it's side effects.

They said the Workington 'Reds' AFC are due to move to Derwent Park for their 2019/20 season. BUT the Derwent Park pitch area is less than what the FA require for soccer matches...I kind of took their comments with a pinch of salt, given that none of them support the Speedway, and as always they liked to spread doom and gloom re Comets.

But last night I started thinking if 'Reds' do need a bigger playing surface by August 2019 what will happen to the speedway track? It would mean work, i.e. taking some of the track, would need to commence during the Summer - June/July?. So if the 'Reds' story is correct speedway was gonna be ousted anyway.?

As I said those Townie 'doom merchants' have made me think it may not be just a financial issue that has seen Comets demise? Any thoughts ?????

oh so sad to hear that workington will not be coming to the tapes in 19 . from 1970 onwards i  attended the sport @ workington and it has given myself and others on  many Friday  and Saturday nights extreme pleasure . god luck to all concerned in the future . it will be a miss not just to workington supporters , but to the speedway world in general . 

1 minute ago, jenga said:

oh so sad to hear that workington will not be coming to the tapes in 19 . from 1970 onwards i  attended the sport @ workington and it has given myself and others on  many Friday  and Saturday nights extreme pleasure . god luck to all concerned in the future . it will be a miss not just to workington supporters , but to the speedway world in general . 

And often Sundays in the 70's Jenga........I'll never forget beating big league Ipswich and Kings Lynn in 1976.......happy days.

Gutted for all concerned with the from promoters fans and especially the riders who thought they had secured jobs.