British Speedway Forum

Absolutely devastated with this news though I guess not totally surprised, it was obvious that more people were required through the gate to make it viable.

There are so many reasons why we have ended up where are now, some which are endemic throughout the sport in this country (the main one being costs/riders wages outweighing income), and some which are specific to the Comets (uncertainty regarding the future of the stadium).

It is  a shame that last years success did not lead to a significant improvement in attendances and a stampede of sponsors beating down Laura's door, but we are where we are and it is a sad fact that the younger generations seem more interested in watching Sky/BT sport from the comfort of their armchairs/favourite bar than watching it live.

It is somewhat ironic that the costs of the proposed new stadium have increased due to it now accommodating a lot of Sellafield staff, the biggest employer in the region, making the largest profits and who could probably find £50k/£100k under the cushions of their swanky leather settees.

Unfortunately due to our particular circumstances relating to the stadium I fear this could be the end for speedway in Workington, though I hope I am wrong.

As well as all the remaining loyal supporters my thoughts obviously also go out to the  riders who hopefully can get fixed up elsewhere, however that will obviously result in others losing out.

A sad day indeed.

• Like 2

Will they need to pay all  the debt  back before they can run again  or will it come from their bond I take it the riders from last year are still owed money also then as that’s where most of the money goes these days 

Does this affect Northside too or is that an independent operation?

43 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Their assets won't go into the BSPA pot...

With putting the licence on ice they retain their assets and bond. If a club close down correctly rather than collapsing they can get cash back...

Worky had arranged the sale of one of their riders at the back end of last season however this was blocked by the BSPA as they felt it left Workington light on assets... as a club is required to have a certain value of assets on their books...

If the club don't run next year Laura can still sell the assets she has on the books... 

Regards 

THJ 

I think the assets will come under the control of the BSPA, and if Worky has speedway debts(BSPA, Riders, other clubs) the BSPA will sell the Worky assets to pay off speedway debts as a priority.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Indépendant, and run by Malcolm McCoy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

No nothing to do with worky 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I think the assets will come under the control of the BSPA, and if Worky has speedway debts(BSPA, Riders, other clubs) the BSPA will sell the Worky assets to pay off speedway debts as a priority.

Only if they're annulled

1 minute ago, Byker Biker said:

Only if they're annulled

I am sure he BSPA would not allow the transfer of assets, if the licence holder has speedway debts. They would look after those within rather than let non promoters sell their assets and keep the money. in any case during this year, the 7 riders that Worky signed, will be controlled by the BSPA in the same way they control foreign riders.  

Just out of interest what assets/riders do comets own, I can only think of mason and Rene who are riding, probably others on list who have retired.

Just to add about Northside. When the Bickley's ceased to run Northside, it was taken on by a junior rider's father Malcolm McCoy. During his time Laura has been extremely helpful to Malcom giving him her old shale and lending him a good tractor. With some considerable work Malcolm, has transformed the track, which he probably could not have done without her help. When Northside stopped riding official NJL meetings, Laura allowed the Northside Stars to ride at Derwent Park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

So who’s going to buy the assets ?  No club has any spare money, apart from one  in the North

Just now, Heedthebaw said:

So who’s going to buy the assets ?  No club has any spare money, apart from one  in the North

No one but the bspa will get loan fees every year 

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I am sure he BSPA would not allow the transfer of assets, if the licence holder has speedway debts. They would look after those within rather than let non promoters sell their assets and keep the money. in any case during this year, the 7 riders that Worky signed, will be controlled by the BSPA in the same way they control foreign riders.  

Yes that's correct and the loan fees will go into the pot but this is a cash flow situation that will be resolved but not in time to start the season. The members who refused fixtures last season, withdrew Friday fixtures and allowed the finals all to be run in just over a week need to take a long hard look at themselves. Plenty of clubs owe money but this isn't the first hiccup at Workington that has taken a while to sort, if the BSPA want to try and retain a shred of respect they will allow them to put the licence on ice until the cash flow situation is resolved. It didn't help matters that the rest of the league met last week to agree fixtures and Workington was excluded from that meeting so even if they did come to the tapes in 2019 they'd get the rse end of the fixtures. In my opinion the responsibility for the decision not to run lies with the sport as a whole and not just Laura, "There by the grace of God go I" should have been on every Promoter's lips this morning just like "chuck her under a bus" was last week! (allegedly of course)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes that's correct and the loan fees will go into the pot but this is a cash flow situation that will be resolved but not in time to start the season. The members who refused fixtures last season, withdrew Friday fixtures and allowed the finals all to be run in just over a week need to take a long hard look at themselves. Plenty of clubs owe money but this isn't the first hiccup at Workington that has taken a while to sort, if the BSPA want to try and retain a shred of respect they will allow them to put the licence on ice until the cash flow situation is resolved. It didn't help matters that the rest of the league met last week to agree fixtures and Workington was excluded from that meeting so even if they did come to the tapes in 2019 they'd get the rse end of the fixtures. In my opinion the responsibility for the decision not to run lies with the sport as a whole and not just Laura, "There by the grace of God go I" should have been on every Promoter's lips this morning just like "chuck her under a bus" was last week! (allegedly of course)

Worky weren't at the AGM either were they.