Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

What you say is true, but if someone promised to help and then reneged on it I don't think that should merely be swept under the carpet. Based upon what BB has said - and he is usually right - the entire scenario of Workington coming to the tapes in 2019 and riders being signed could have been avoided. That's no small matter and broken promises regarding sponsorship have hit speedway hard over the years.

Having said that, the criticism should be kept in context and with 2020 in mind. 

When a track closes, riders generally move on to another club. Of the Lakeside team from 2018, all are competing in 2019.  

Lets face it, riders losing their team place - often through no fault of their own - is hardly unusual. 

In this case, it is the timing of Workington's closure that has hit hard. I must admit I haven't read any article, but I find it most surprising that one team folding means that a riding career is finished. I can't recall another rider like that

On the other hand, it is entirely possible that should the Comets not come to the tapes in 2020 or for years after, many of those who attended in 2018 will never go to speedway again. 

The overwhelming majority of fans simply do not switch from one club to another - some of the Workington faithful will having been going for 20 years -  and that's why a track closure hits them harder.

In Mason's case he has a work visa which expires towards the end of March 2019. He qualified in an Australian state championship for a new visa this year. However, it is, in effect, an extension to his current one. He needs to be in the UK before his old one expires, and have a job riding speedway (i.e. a work sponsor) for this season in order to actually obtain the visa. If he hasn't got a team place before his current visa expires then he won't get his new one for this year. This means he'll have to sit out this season in it's entirety as he won't be allowed to sign for anybody else mid season. Since most, if not all, clubs are not actually starting to ride until late (very) March or early April the chances of him getting signed up are extremely remote. A similar thing happened to Ty Proctor a few years ago. I suppose he thinks the missing a year at this stage of his career would make it hard to come back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, leander said:

In Mason's case he has a work visa which expires towards the end of March 2019. He qualified in an Australian state championship for a new visa this year. However, it is, in effect, an extension to his current one. He needs to be in the UK before his old one expires, and have a job riding speedway (i.e. a work sponsor) for this season in order to actually obtain the visa. If he hasn't got a team place before his current visa expires then he won't get his new one for this year. This means he'll have to sit out this season in it's entirety as he won't be allowed to sign for anybody else mid season. Since most, if not all, clubs are not actually starting to ride until late (very) March or early April the chances of him getting signed up are extremely remote. A similar thing happened to Ty Proctor a few years ago. I suppose he thinks the missing a year at this stage of his career would make it hard to come back.

He would be out for 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still find myself thinking someone is going to step in to rescue the situation and its all just been a bad dream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Is all of that statement correct Sharon ? 

Was in not the case that Jacko forked out for the medals for the riders and management for both teams and was reimbursed by the opposition promotion for half the cost, Im pretty sure  he wont have bought the actual competition shield, if he did perhaps this coming season it should be renamed The Tony Jackson Shield !

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Liz !!! said:

Was in not the case that Jacko forked out for the medals for the riders and management for both teams and was reimbursed by the opposition promotion for half the cost, Im pretty sure  he wont have bought the actual competition shield, if he did perhaps this coming season it should be renamed The Tony Jackson Shield !

 

This is laughable if true,Bspa to Jacko,any trophy shops in worky?couldn't pick us a shield up of some description, it's only been going since March and we haven't had time to sort one out,while you're at it sort out some winners/losers medals,don't go overboard incase the kitty doesn't cover it,oh and by the way you've been fined 3 grand for not completing the outstanding fixture take it out of that and send us the balance,it would be comedy gold if it wasn't serious

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

This is laughable if true,Bspa to Jacko,any trophy shops in worky?couldn't pick us a shield up of some description, it's only been going since March and we haven't had time to sort one out,while you're at it sort out some winners/losers medals,don't go overboard incase the kitty doesn't cover it,oh and by the way you've been fined 3 grand for not completing the outstanding fixture take it out of that and send us the balance,it would be comedy gold if it wasn't serious

that's the bspa for you 

or just general state of british speedway

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hodgy said:

He would be out for 2 years. 

How? He would be eligible for a new visa (assuming he qualifies via a state championship in 2019) 12 months after his current one expires. Ok, he might miss the first fixtures next march, depending on the actual date of  his visa expiry, but he would certainly be eligible from April 2020 onwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would he not have to reach a 7 pt average this year to qualify for next year 

who was it that had to sit out a couple of years ago ryan douglas maybe ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

would he not have to reach a 7 pt average this year to qualify for next year 

who was it that had to sit out a couple of years ago ryan douglas maybe ?

 

aye , Jacks lad .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

would he not have to reach a 7 pt average this year to qualify for next year 

who was it that had to sit out a couple of years ago ryan douglas maybe ?

 

 

6 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Ryan missed last season due to not achieving the required average 

Ty Proctor's final GSA last year was 6.96, but he's still signed for Sheffield for the coming season.  How is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, StevePark said:

 

Ty Proctor's final GSA last year was 6.96, but he's still signed for Sheffield for the coming season.  How is that?

is it not something to do with the previous years state championship ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, StevePark said:

 

Ty Proctor's final GSA last year was 6.96, but he's still signed for Sheffield for the coming season.  How is that?

A tier 5 Visa is valid for 3 years, and may be extended for a further 3 (as long as it continues without a break) which is where Mason is at the moment. Not sure the 7 point rule applies anymore unless it's at the end of year six. There are quite a few on visa's which didn't make a GSA of 7.00 last year.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, leander said:

How? He would be eligible for a new visa (assuming he qualifies via a state championship in 2019) 12 months after his current one expires. Ok, he might miss the first fixtures next march, depending on the actual date of  his visa expiry, but he would certainly be eligible from April 2020 onwards.

Certainly??? Recommend you read Mason’s interview in last weeks Speedway Star. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Certainly??? Recommend you read Mason’s interview in last weeks Speedway Star. 

I quote (from the article) :-"If I don't get that visa I get hit with the twelve month cooling off period. I have to be out of England for a year so I won't be able to return to racing until 2020 There's no way round that"

That's next year. But he obviously feels that a year out of UK racing would mean he'd be practically starting over again, and at his age (25) it would be too much of a struggle. A great shame really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy