British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eastville Bulldog

So what happened to Bristol Bulldogs big plans ?

With permission from BSPA for the 'use' of the name to run, the new promoter of the 'Bristol Bulldogs' declared a return to racing for the 2018 season albeit on away tracks. Yet no racing, no team, no news. . .Nothing.  Has this ambitious plan gone done the pan like everything else? It's very disheartening not only to myself but all other Bulldog fans who are left in the dark.Does anybody know anything as to what is happening? Any news would be much appreciated! 

mr Gresham - without reading the thread but seeing the topic,  immediately thought of Steve Gresham - wasn’t he a member of the Eastville days from way back when ?  It ain’t you is it ?

your post is 100% - for me, first time since 1976 I have not seen a live speedway event is in 2018 - not in the ‘flesh’ or even on tv.  Missed Cardiff, and can’t say I gave a monkeys.  Am Coventry based, where tonight there has been a BIG event close to the stadium in a hotel near the derelict stadium - have seen photos of the attendees and the age profile appears to be aged 50’s (I am being diplomatic here) and above.  This week hearing the demise of Berwick and Lakeside/Arena - whatever they are called these days - just shows the writing is on the wall.  The sport in the Uk needs an injection of younger personell, otherwise speedway will be remembered,purely on Wikipedia as what it was all about.  No prospect anytime soon of that - being the younger injection I mean.

as a youth, young man, middle aged man and now getting on a bit, had some fantastic experiences - Ole Olsen, Coventry Bees, trips to Dudley wood and getting our coach bombarded with stones from the Cradley ‘massive’ - Wembley world finals, White City dis-appointments when Ole failed to make the World final in Sweden 1980 (Michael Lee !)  but travelling along on a tee mill trip by coach hearing false stories of Finn Thomson breaking a leg in practice and meaning Ole was in !  I remember our coach had a ‘commisioner’ who was Fat Rat Dave - who ran the supporters club office for badges/programmes at Monmore Green - my god we ripped into him with banter big time.  

• Like 1

No Markyb he's not 'the' Mr Gresham. . .

It's really frustrating that the promotion is silent about anything relating to the development and birth of a new team. There's been nothing in the local press, nothing in SS, on the web etc. There's a wall of silence. At least AH kept us up to date with his plans but this is wrong. I too think it's safe to say it's fallen through, never gonna happen, all a big pipe dream. Gresham's right, why kid ourselves with this BS ? Truth is promoters, stadium owners, local councils don't give a f*ck for the fans or the security and advancement of the sport in general. It's like peeing in the wind.

Still on Bristol Bulldogs, but going back a little, in the last issue of the excellent Backtrack magazine the section 'That Was the Year - 1981, Bristol Backing' says that "campaigners in Bristol were celebrating in July when the planning committee of the local council unanimously approved an application to revive speedway at Eastville".  Sadly we know it didn't happen and while is doesn't say 'full planning permission was granted' it appeared to give hope of a huge step forward, anyone know what happened next and why speedway wasn't reserrected in Bristol, Eastville at that time ?...

7 hours ago, markyb said:

mr Gresham - without reading the thread but seeing the topic,  immediately thought of Steve Gresham - wasn’t he a member of the Eastville days from way back when ?  It ain’t you is it ?

your post is 100% - for me, first time since 1976 I have not seen a live speedway event is in 2018 - not in the ‘flesh’ or even on tv.  Missed Cardiff, and can’t say I gave a monkeys.  Am Coventry based, where tonight there has been a BIG event close to the stadium in a hotel near the derelict stadium - have seen photos of the attendees and the age profile appears to be aged 50’s (I am being diplomatic here) and above.  This week hearing the demise of Berwick and Lakeside/Arena - whatever they are called these days - just shows the writing is on the wall.  The sport in the Uk needs an injection of younger personell, otherwise speedway will be remembered,purely on Wikipedia as what it was all about.  No prospect anytime soon of that - being the younger injection I mean.

as a youth, young man, middle aged man and now getting on a bit, had some fantastic experiences - Ole Olsen, Coventry Bees, trips to Dudley wood and getting our coach bombarded with stones from the Cradley ‘massive’ - Wembley world finals, White City dis-appointments when Ole failed to make the World final in Sweden 1980 (Michael Lee !)  but travelling along on a tee mill trip by coach hearing false stories of Finn Thomson breaking a leg in practice and meaning Ole was in !  I remember our coach had a ‘commisioner’ who was Fat Rat Dave - who ran the supporters club office for badges/programmes at Monmore Green - my god we ripped into him with banter big time.  

Small world, I was on the Rats(RIP) coach to goteburg in 1980, great trip

I seem to recall the guy who created Somerset was, in more recent times, trying to get Bristol back.

Wasn't there some suggestion of a track being put in near some railway sidings or something - sorry for the vagueness I'm not familiar with the area at all.

I can vaguely remember something along the lines of planning being turned down because the noise would upset geese flying up the Severn Estuary, or something like that!! :unsure: 

Andy Hewlett was the person who pushed for a Bristol revival.

After creating and promoting the Rebels he sought to reestablish the Bulldogs. He (as  a member of Bristol City Council) had good contacts within the planning depth and secured a plot of wasteland at Avonmouth. . .a few miles to the North of the city. Unfortunately nature lovers complained of problems to birds flying into Slimbridge wildlife centre up the coast in Glos.

The planned area is now a WIND TURBINE site !!!!

A new promoter took over the 'cause' a couple of years ago. But nothing as yet has come to fruit. It's knock back after knock back. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eastville Bulldog said:

No Markyb he's not 'the' Mr Gresham. . .

It's really frustrating that the promotion is silent about anything relating to the development and birth of a new team. There's been nothing in the local press, nothing in SS, on the web etc. There's a wall of silence. At least AH kept us up to date with his plans but this is wrong. I too think it's safe to say it's fallen through, never gonna happen, all a big pipe dream. Gresham's right, why kid ourselves with this BS ? Truth is promoters, stadium owners, local councils don't give a f*ck for the fans or the security and advancement of the sport in general. It's like peeing in the wind.

Looking at this post, it would be understandable if would be promoters just gave up, knowing their audience was ungrateful supporters. 

Of course they care for supporters and the advancement of the sport, otherwise we wouldn’t have had Redcar, Leicester or the NSS. 

Various people have tried to get a site for Bristol, as they have for Cradley and other places. Each attempt costs time, energy and money. They don’t give up because they don’t care about supporters but because there are too many hurdles. 

In future, someone thinking about Bristol may well look at your post and think all supporters are like you, ungrateful of their efforts, and query why they are bothering. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, markyb said:

No...Steve Gresham was my Childhood Speedway hero...him and Tormod Langli ;-)

Did a bit of digging and there is a Bristol Bulldogs Speedway team facebook page that has all of 143 followers

A guy named Shaun Honour bought the rights to have the Bulldogs name and get the team up and running again.

Last post was December 25th 2017...saying...'Merry Christmas and a happy new year. 2018 we will be back on track.'

Well that didn't happen...so none the wiser as to what's happened.

As for sites...Best place would be just off Junction 18 of the M4 where there is already a couple of Moto X tracks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Looking at this post, it would be understandable if would be promoters just gave up, knowing their audience was ungrateful supporters. 

Of course they care for supporters and the advancement of the sport, otherwise we wouldn’t have had Redcar, Leicester or the NSS. 

Various people have tried to get a site for Bristol, as they have for Cradley and other places. Each attempt costs time, energy and money. They don’t give up because they don’t care about supporters but because there are too many hurdles. 

In future, someone thinking about Bristol may well look at your post and think all supporters are like you, ungrateful of their efforts, and query why they are bothering. 

Ungrateful ? I wouldn't say feeling annoyed and disheartened by a lack of information towards their teams fan base  is being ungrateful - it's FAR from it. If fans were unconcerned about progress they'd sit back, give up and move on - and NOT be annoyed. What harm is there just releasing the odd press release stating what's happening ( however trivial) surely as fans, don't we deserve some credit? After all it will be us and our money going into the teams coffers. 

I don't know perhaps I expect to much.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:35 AM, Eastville Bulldog said:

Andy Hewlett was the person who pushed for a Bristol revival.

After creating and promoting the Rebels he sought to reestablish the Bulldogs. He (as  a member of Bristol City Council) had good contacts within the planning depth and secured a plot of wasteland at Avonmouth. . .a few miles to the North of the city. Unfortunately nature lovers complained of problems to birds flying into Slimbridge wildlife centre up the coast in Glos.

The planned area is now a WIND TURBINE site !!!!

A new promoter took over the 'cause' a couple of years ago. But nothing as yet has come to fruit. It's knock back after knock back. 

Must be somewhere around Seven Park area, it's all derelict buildings & wasteland around there?