British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Thursdays - Use them or lose them!

Dont believe for one minute the uk could support a super league at this moment in time

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MattK said:

What would you do with riders like Dan Bewley? He rode in a GP Challenge qualifier, four World U21 Individual meetings and two Team U21 meetings. That's seven weekends where he was unavailable for a Saturday meeting in Britain. Should he not be signed by any club as he isn't 100% committed to British speedway?

Maybe Dan's meetings could be planned in the 20 odd Saturdays over the six months or so that he is available?

Or run meetings on Fridays and Sundays when he isn't available Saturday?

Speedway clubs run on 'off nights' now so no new process to accommodate riders with other priorities, but the problem is that these nights are invariably mid week and poor crowd pullers...

Bottom line is British Speedway tracks need to look after No1...

And that means more than any debate about standard of riders, running when they can attract their best crowds....

If riders ambitions lie elsewhere and don't marry up with British Speedways needs then that is unfortunate but British Speedway needs to give itself a chance...

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe Dan's meetings could be planned in the 20 odd Saturdays over the six months or so that he is available?

Or run meetings on Fridays and Sundays when he isn't available Saturday?

Speedway clubs run on 'off nights' now so no new process to accommodate riders with other priorities, but the problem is that these nights are invariably mid week and poor crowd pullers...

I don't have a problem with fixtures working around international commitments. The issue I see is where do you draw the line. GPs, GP Challenge, U21s so on? Given that people moan about the break for the SWC/SoN I can see that it wouldn't be long before fans are complaining about so many breaks in the fixture list to accommodate FIM events.

In my opinion the  Thursday`s and Sweden rumour is just rubbish. Nine teams in the Eliterserien(Swedish top league) in 2019 so 1 team misses out each round therefore 18 Tuesday`s will be required to run the regular season. Between the beginning of May (7th) and the 3rd September there are 18 Tuesday`s- they shouldn`t even have to lose a Tuesday for the SON in 2019. Yes they tried something new in 2018 when they had a back to back 24 hour  Tues/Wed local derby fixture which they maybe will try and do again. The Swedish 2nd div runs Thursday`s and hasn`t caused the UK many problems. In my opinion if GB want Thursday`s they will get priority in 2019.

54 minutes ago, MattK said:

I don't have a problem with fixtures working around international commitments. The issue I see is where do you draw the line. GPs, GP Challenge, U21s so on? Given that people moan about the break for the SWC/SoN I can see that it wouldn't be long before fans are complaining about so many breaks in the fixture list to accommodate FIM events.

Could it really be any worse? There are loads of breaks in fixture lists now..

British Speedway cannot run itself like 'proper team sports', we know that, so you might as well run the constantly contrived meetings they put out, with random septets, at weekend when more of the populace can get there...

Running on Fixed Nights still didn't deliver any 'bona fide' Championships at any of the three levels, so it really doesn't matter who wins the 'titles'...

When 'set in stone' fixtures get changed at a moments notice so there are plenty of 'guests' to be shared around you know the game is pretty much up..

Fixed Race Nights were always doomed from the very outset when Monday/Thursday became Monday/Wednesday/Thursday so you might as well let teams ride whenever they want, using whoever they can..

It can't be any worse and surely can only be a financial improvement..?

Sad times for British Speedway when we're not only missing Woffinden but now Robert Lambert is deemed to good for our leagues now.

Included Lambert, the door has to be open to everyone else. 

• Like 1

It seems logical to me, under the present situation, that any Brit rider doing well in other countries will give preference to that situation and riding in the UK would not be top of his list of priorities. Its obvious to me that they will go where the opportunity is to better themselves in riding ability and income.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Why would stadiums be empty on GP nights?  I watch very few things “live” at transmission time and much prefer to record and watch on delay.  This allows me to skip past Adverts , replays and endless studio chats.  I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way

Work it out for yourself, people will not go, but i dont expect you to believe that.

50 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Sad times for British Speedway when we're not only missing Woffinden but now Robert Lambert is deemed to good for our leagues now.

Included Lambert, the door has to be open to everyone else. 

Deemed or is ? IMO he's not yet.

1 minute ago, Starman2006 said:

Work it out for yourself, people will not go, but i dont expect you to believe that.

most clubs do well on a Saturday rye house for one and then had to move to Wednesday where are they now gone 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ray c said:

most clubs do well on a Saturday rye house for one and then had to move to Wednesday where are they now gone 

If Speedway was a 'proper team sport' with traditional rivalries,  a tribal following, and bona fide Championships which had real kudos in winning, then I would suggest any night would be a possibility..

The sad fact it it hasn't got any of these three key ingredients to encourage fans to invest that so important emotional loyalty to 'their team'....

Therefore, they would be better just focusing on the on track entertainment value of Speedway,  ie four riders riding around an oval track at high speed with no brakes..

And do it when a crowd can be enticed to come...

Not when it just suits some of the competitors the most...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Given the likes of my post to yours I think it is you that needs to work it out! :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, MattK said:

What would you do with riders like Dan Bewley? He rode in a GP Challenge qualifier, four World U21 Individual meetings and two Team U21 meetings. That's seven weekends where he was unavailable for a Saturday meeting in Britain. Should he not be signed by any club as he isn't 100% committed to British speedway?

You can't let clubs go bust to further the careers of a handful of british riders. Woffinden doesn't ride here, despite the fixed race nights. 

• Like 2

It's obvious that British Speedway cannot afford the top riders with the wages and the big signing on fees they require, the crowds don't warrant it anymore. Something has to be done to bring the cost down for both promoters and riders alike, although It maybe little late, when all costs starting rising and crowds started dropping years back,  action should have been taken then, but nothing of any consequence was done.

Speedway in this country wants to take a step back, throw away the rule book and start again .

Too many complicated rules for a simple sport that fans cannot understand (or is that the general idea I wonder!)

The sport has gone from being a team sport to a team of individuals, riders rushing off soon as the meeting has finished and not mixing with the fans, and the presentation (if you can call it that) is abysmal , the cost is much too expensive to take the family on a regular basis, although Speedway prides itself on being a family sport. The entrance fee,  programme, car park, the kids will want drinks and burgers , not forgetting the adults say an average of £60 to £80, how many young families can afford £240 or more a month ?

Thoughts.

Edited by Buttons

2 minutes ago, Buttons said:

It's obvious that British Speedway cannot afford the top riders with the wages and the big signing on fees they require, the crowds don't warrant it anymore. Something has to be done to bring the cost down for both promoters and riders alike, although It maybe little late, when all costs starting rising and crowds started dropping years back,  action should have been taken then, but nothing of any consequence was done.

Speedway in this country wants to take a step back, throw away the rule book and start again .

Too many complicated rules for a simple sport that fans cannot understand (or is that the general idea I wonder!)

The sport has gone from being a team sport to a team of individuals, riders rushing off soon as the meeting has finished and not mixing with the fans, and the presentation (if you can call it that) is abysmal , the cost is much too expensive to take the family on a regular basis, although Speedway prides itself on being a family sport. The entrance fee,  programme, the kids will want drinks and burgers , not forgetting the adults say an average of £60 to £80, how many young families can afford £240 or more a month ?

Thoughts.

My thoughts are what you say is 100% correct...

And thousands and thousands of ex fans would read your comments and agree also...

Incredible that the Promoters don't see the obvious issues, and continue to ignore feedback from the many who used to go...

Makes you wonder how many gaps have to appear on the terraces before they finally cotton on..

• Like 1