British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Thursdays - Use them or lose them!

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The one thing that every fan up and down the UK can and does agree on, is the admission prices need to be lower, and by £5 lower at a minimum. 

All the fans are seeing year on year is a declining product for more money on the gate. Value for money no longer exists in British Speedway for the majority. 

The National League is £5 cheaper than the Premiership. How do their attendances compare?

• Like 1

£1 per race, free race card. I liked Tatum idea about the interaction app. Maybe make a few prizes available on the night for that each meeting. 1st is a vip pass for 2 then the next 3 will get a free ticket. Make it a big part of the night . Lynn have done a lot this year in terms of inclusion. Kids club, riders interacting with fans, conferences post meeting. 

Stupid things like hold ups, tannoys playing up, riders moaning about conditions, relentless track grading, and a hum of negativity about the product in general is all things that put people off. Rain offs too so track covers?, 

im not buying into this 1 league thing. There will bee too many teams in the bottom half and their crowds will all be hit. I’d keep the 3 tier, weaken the middle tier with the draft (unprotected so averages aren’t botched) and strengthen the top league, 2 brits minimum per team. Minimum ave back to 3. And slightly weaken the nl. Not too much. But it isn’t what Plymouth Birmingham and Eastbourne want it to be. If they want a pro league then step up. 

In an ideal world centralise all clubs so they are run as franchises to a well established independently run system where all 3 leagues will be ran under 1 package. With stepping stones for uk riders to progress. Light shows and fireworks, entertainers in track grades, ear pieces where you can hear analysis and interviews in between heats, competition apps, cheap try out days. Invest in trying to gain a media presence so it all actually matters. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MattK said:

The National League is £5 cheaper than the Premiership. How do their attendances compare?

Poorly because the NL doesn't offer value for money, what's so difficult to understand??

Across every Speedway league around the world British Speedway is one of the worst for expense at the turnstile and standard of the product to the supporters. 

It's one of and probably THE very top reason terrace numbers are ever decreasing. Weaker product, admission prices increase.

If you can't see that, then some fans are as deluded as the promoters in British Speedway. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Poorly because the NL doesn't offer value for money, what's so difficult to understand??

Across every Speedway league around the world British Speedway is one of the worst for expense at the turnstile and standard of the product to the supporters. 

It's one of and probably THE very top reason terrace numbers are ever decreasing. Weaker product, admission prices increase.

If you can't see that, then some fans are as deluded as the promoters in British Speedway. 

Have you watched National League racing? In terms of on track action it is comparable to Premiership racing, at least at Swindon in 2017 when they ran a team in the National Trophy. Therefore "value for money" cannot refer to the quality of the racing.

Is it perceived value? So ten years ago teams were full of GP stars and entrance was £15, today it is a hotchpotch of mid-level riders for £17. Maybe.

I think the decline in terrace numbers is easier to explain. Over time people drift away from any product. They die. They move away. They become familiar and lose interest. The problem for speedway is that they have taken no steps to gain new fans, therefore gradually over time attendance will decline. Price is an issue in fans losing interest, but I don't think it is a major factor.

It's a shame that those teams committed to top flight racing can't run with the top riders for a year. That way if the fans still don't come, then we know the sport is knackered at the highest level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

Light shows and fireworks.........

Hope this never happens or that's me finished. Already had 3 weeks of the damn things upsetting the dogs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

£1 per race, free race card. I liked Tatum idea about the interaction app. Maybe make a few prizes available on the night for that each meeting. 1st is a vip pass for 2 then the next 3 will get a free ticket. Make it a big part of the night . Lynn have done a lot this year in terms of inclusion. Kids club, riders interacting with fans, conferences post meeting. 

Stupid things like hold ups, tannoys playing up, riders moaning about conditions, relentless track grading, and a hum of negativity about the product in general is all things that put people off. Rain offs too so track covers?, 

im not buying into this 1 league thing. There will bee too many teams in the bottom half and their crowds will all be hit. I’d keep the 3 tier, weaken the middle tier with the draft (unprotected so averages aren’t botched) and strengthen the top league, 2 brits minimum per team. Minimum ave back to 3. And slightly weaken the nl. Not too much. But it isn’t what Plymouth Birmingham and Eastbourne want it to be. If they want a pro league then step up. 

In an ideal world centralise all clubs so they are run as franchises to a well established independently run system where all 3 leagues will be ran under 1 package. With stepping stones for uk riders to progress. Light shows and fireworks, entertainers in track grades, ear pieces where you can hear analysis and interviews in between heats, competition apps, cheap try out days. Invest in trying to gain a media presence so it all actually matters. 

Not on here, surely? The forum is positivity personified :-)

• Haha 2

On 9 November 2018 at 2:28 PM, lucifer sam said:

If we sign up to the ISLB agreement.  Maybe we shouldn't do that.

Riders would have a choice - they ride in Poland or they ride over here.  We need Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.  If this year has proven anything, it's that running mid-week (with the notable exception of one or two tracks) is financial suicide.    As I said, no more tail wagging the dog.

If you you get certain riders with regular rides in Poland to choose then you are going to lose riders you need here to continue. Don't fight Poland and Sweden as running at a Championship level won't have many fixture clashes and these can be worked out here before published. 

On 9 November 2018 at 4:07 PM, mikebv said:

Maybe Dan's meetings could be planned in the 20 odd Saturdays over the six months or so that he is available?

Or run meetings on Fridays and Sundays when he isn't available Saturday?

Bottom line is British Speedway tracks need to look after No1...

Dan has a regular rides at Rybnik in Poland and if he carriers on his rate of improvement he needs these rides and if he has to choose then Poland and extra meetings in Germany would possibly sort him out better to run alongside the U21 and events

On 9 November 2018 at 7:40 PM, cityrebel said:

You can't let clubs go bust to further the careers of a handful of british riders. Woffinden doesn't ride here, despite the fixed race nights. 

Fixed race nights were bought in to stop Premiership and Championship fixtures clashing, nothing else. Top riders would like a fixed race night here but ONE night and not Monday or Wednesday or possibly Thursday and tracks unable to fit 12 fixtures in a 22 week period and has to resort in double headers

21 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

£10-12 is not a realistic or feasible price for entrance to any professional sport

For or a sport that lasts 15 minutes expecting fans to stand on concrete terraces in all weathers, use toilets and facilities that have been there decades and charge more now than a few years ago when the product was stronger. 

Running at Championship level means Premiership clubs would save on wages, running costs, flights etc which could be a few grand each week and this could be reflected in getting the admission down to £12 which is a realistic figure. 

Present Championship Clubs have been charging £15+ despite running costs being vastly different and at £12 you have the chance to make it affordable for new fans but also stop the infrequent fans remain to watch more. Crowds are made up of the older brigade and they are leaving the sport fast

Two Adults to attend £36, Programme £3, Four drinks £12, 2 Burgers and Chips from a van £12 .... TOTAL £63 spent and your outside standing up

Two Adults to attend a 120 minute film £16, 2 drinks £5, Meals (Two for One) at nearby restaurant £13, 2 Drinks £6 ...... Three hours spent in the warm, sitting down and getting the product you wanted without rules and regulations .... £45 

£18 change from a night at the speedway and your warm and dry. 

10 hours ago, MattK said:

I'd hazard a guess that 99% of the British public have no idea how much it costs to attend speedway, therefore have no concept of whether it is "value for money" or not.

But out they know what value for money is and 15 minutes for £18 is not value. These don't know the difference between Fricke and Morley or Doyle and Bickley so put on a product you can afford and at a cost people can afford.

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It's a shame that those teams committed to top flight racing can't run with the top riders for a year. That way if the fans still don't come, then we know the sport is knackered at the highest level.

They already have tried this in last few years and it's not working. Top riders want ONE race night with no more than 16 meetings, better and safer tracks and even if they were offered a third of what they get in Poland, British tracks still can't afford £5,000 extra to get one top rider in each.

rebuild at a level we can afford and with British riders given the chance to grow

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 7:05 PM, mikebv said:

Common Sense comments..

However, I do really believe that what is done now cannot be undone..

We have gone too far and it is not possible to get the Sport where it needs be in this country..

I am convinced the Promoters know full well the stand out reasons for the Sport's ever hastening demise (there has never been so much feedback available), but they simply havent the resource, or possibly the capability too, to sort the self inflicted mess out..

We all know that there is huge potential in the Sport as many of us just on here used to go regularly, and around the country I would suggest EVERY track has at least 2000 people living locally who no longer go but used to go and keep a passing interest in the local Speedway team..

It just appears that Promoters feel there is zero chance of enticing them back so no point in trying..

A shame, but it is what it is..

I agree with a lot of what you say generally and think you talk a lot of sense but I can't agree with this, things have got to change and radically, it's not going to be easy but it needs somebody with the backbone to do it, a lot of people are going to be upset, many riders may decide it's no longer worth it, the fans certainly have over the years but something has to happen, keep calm and carry on is not working

My honest opinion is that the general perception from the supporters who go,  offer such a bad census of the sport, Joe Public is never going to be enticed to go..     Back in the time of Michael Lee, there was so much talk at work about how good the racing was and how enjoyable the nights were, every week somebody new went along to see for themselves..   If, and that's a big if, fans were to share their thoughts today they would in fact put people off going... 

I don't think there is an easy answer to the appeal problem,   we can continue in the same vane for another year watching the figure dwindle again ,   or take a big step and make drastic changes...      Bearing in mind the Play-off renders the league program unimportant , implementing the SUPERHEAT idea ( last weeks S/S) would offer a new start and  hopefully recapture the  excitement the league matches used to provide...    Anything is better than the same mundane existence...      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I agree with a lot of what you say generally and think you talk a lot of sense but I can't agree with this, things have got to change and radically, it's not going to be easy but it needs somebody with the backbone to do it, a lot of people are going to be upset, many riders may decide it's no longer worth it, the fans certainly have over the years but something has to happen, keep calm and carry on is not working

Agree 100% Ian, but I now believe that as it is 'so bleedin' obvious' that what we have have now doesn't work, the Promoters must be acutely aware of all the issues they have, but simply haven't got either the vision, capabilty or finance to ever break out of that self inflicted continous vicious cycle of lack of credibilty of product, meaning lower income is achieved which cannot then cover annually higher uncontrolled costs..

Unless, as you say, something totally radical takes place...

I just don't think they have that desire to try and undo all that has been done as it would be a huge undertaking and possibly well beyond their particular skill set...

I personally dont think we will ever see the sport ran 'properly' again. (as a team sport), in this country, and what we have now ie lots of weekly cobbled together nonsense, will be the only way forward. (As surely if they felt it needed fixing they would have by now such are the glaring issues)...

Which is a shame, as the core product on offer can be truly great...

Anyway, here's hoping I am wrong and someone has the balls and comes forward to take the sport over here by the scruff of the neck, see its huge potential (99.9% of the population don't go), and has real vision, drive and desire to deliver a 'brave' new dawn...

I will write a letter to Santa as a 'back up plan' though, (just in case)....;)

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

Agree 100% Ian, but I now believe that as it is 'so bleedin' obvious' that what we have have now doesn't work, the Promoters must be acutely aware of all the issues they have, but simply haven't got either the vision, capabilty or finance to ever break out of that self inflicted continous vicious cycle of lack of credibilty of product, meaning lower income is achieved which cannot then cover annually higher uncontrolled costs..

Unless, as you say, something totally radical takes place...

I just don't think they have that desire to try and undo all that has been done as it would be a huge undertaking and possibly well beyond their particular skill set...

I personally dont think we will ever see the sport ran 'properly' again. (as a team sport), in this country, and what we have now ie lots of weekly cobbled together nonsense, will be the only way forward. (As surely if they felt it needed fixing they would have by now such are the glaring issues)...

Which is a shame, as the core product on offer can be truly great...

Anyway, here's hoping I am wrong and someone has the balls and comes forward to take the sport over here by the scruff of the neck, see its huge potential (99.9% of the population don't go), and has real vision, drive and desire to deliver a 'brave' new dawn...

I will write a letter to Santa as a 'back up plan' though, (just in case)....;)

Well... Yesterday evening I ploughed through most of last week's speedway star special edition and I now have to say I am in 100% agreement with you! I've read through most of the articles of those actually in a position to do something about the alarming decline in the sport and they're all banging on about tinkering about with points limits and simplifying the rules, 1 league, 2 leagues, 3 leagues having a 2 minute clock on the centre green, setting up committees etc. You're right nobody has the vision to do anything radical! From what I've seen so far only Kelvin Tatum (love him or hate him) is showing anything like the vision required to drag the sport kicking and screaming into 2018, he doesn't really understand it but he gets it that the sport must be more interactive technology wise to attract a new audience and the next generation of fan with mobile apps etc.

They seem set on sticking to FRN's on the worst nights of the week to comply with the ISLB(???)... I think we need to leave that in the short to medium term and get our house in order and run settled league teams to build up an affinity with the local public again... Spexit

After having read what I've read so far I really do despair thinking about the future of the sport in this country.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Well... Yesterday evening I ploughed through most of last week's speedway star special edition and I now have to say I am in 100% agreement with you! I've read through most of the articles of those actually in a position to do something about the alarming decline in the sport and they're all banging on about tinkering about with points limits and simplifying the rules, 1 league, 2 leagues, 3 leagues having a 2 minute clock on the centre green, setting up committees etc. You're right nobody has the vision to do anything radical! From what I've seen so far only Kelvin Tatum (love him or hate him) is showing anything like the vision required to drag the sport kicking and screaming into 2018, he doesn't really understand it but he gets it that the sport must be more interactive technology wise to attract a new audience and the next generation of fan with mobile apps etc.

They seem set on sticking to FRN's on the worst nights of the week to comply with the ISLB(???)... I think we need to leave that in the short to medium term and get our house in order and run settled league teams to build up an affinity with the local public again... Spexit

After having read what I've read so far I really do despair thinking about the future of the sport in this country.

Similarly, reading the various fan comments in the SS, there are no easy fixes to satisfy all fans. Their comments are wide and very varied.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Similarly, reading the various fan comments in the SS, there are no easy fixes to satisfy all fans. Their comments are wide and very varied.

Don't really think it matters anymore what us fans think/want we are proven to be in a tiny minority compared to the people that don't or used to attend... It's those people who need to be attracted, we are the hardcore bunch that'll turn up regardless of anything that is decided/changed

Think a few of the bigger clubs are getting a wake up call at the AGM and may have to come to terms they can no longer get others to follow them into the top level and may have to admit defeat and join the minnows in a more efficient level that all can compete at. 

One league at Championship level is looking like the only option now and just hope they don't make the big mistake of doing a north and south as it will cause so many problems in the long run and clubs like Redcar and Berwick need to have nights entertaining Swindon, Wolves and Poole on a level playing field .

It may be forced on some but hopefully they will see it's better swimming in a bigger pool than a puddle and I'm sure many NL riders will benefit next year if it does and they run it for three years not change everything again in 12 months. 

• Like 1