British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Thursdays - Use them or lose them!

I see there is more in Speedway Star this week with regards to Sweden taking Thursdays.

Surely... SURELY!... British speedway needs to take this night as its second fixed night before Sweden (quite justifiably) take it off them.

That would leave British speedway with just one priority night instead of two because of being voted down by lower teams. This should not be allowed to happen!

The top league should take Thursday as a fixed race night immediately, or else they will lose it.

• Like 4

I think the top League should take Friday and Saturday nights, especially now with minimal impact from the GP's

• Like 2

But you see, you get whats left after FIM takes what they need, PZM takes what they want and Sweden takes tuesdays. 

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I think the top League should take Friday and Saturday nights, especially now with minimal impact from the GP's

You have fixtures in Poland on a Friday and Saturday  plus numerous Sec or Gp qualifiers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

I see there is more in Speedway Star this week with regards to Sweden taking Thursdays.

Surely... SURELY!... British speedway needs to take this night as its second fixed night before Sweden (quite justifiably) take it off them.

That would leave British speedway with just one priority night instead of two because of being voted down by lower teams. This should not be allowed to happen!

The top league should take Thursday as a fixed race night immediately, or else they will lose it.

What's so special about Thursdays?

Surely crowds are bigger on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.  I would suggest one big league, with all fixtures taking place on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps more of the Thursday teams will be in the top league anyway making it less likely to be opposed.....

Peterborough strongly rumoured to be moving up and availability of the showground apparently much better during midweek too

4 hours ago, iainb said:

That could mean that any number up to about  ten riders from this year will not always be available due to Polish and other meetings. 

Edited by A ORLOV

4 hours ago, iainb said:

You are joking. Those that run on saturday will be the quickest way to the poor house. Stadiums would be empty GP nights. But if they want to run against the GP's then thats there perogative. Fridays you could understand. Kids off the weekend so more might go. But then again, perhaps promotions need to start buying those Carrots.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grachan said:

Agree 100%

6 hours ago, iainb said:

Even without the 10 GP weekends, you would still lose riders on at least ten other weekends to the GP Challenge, World U21s, World Team U21s and Speedway of Nations.

If we have to go with the fixed nights then it should be Monday and Thursday. Wolves, King's Lynn and Poole on Mondays and the remaining existing PL tracks on Thursdays. Any newcomers to be allocated to keep the numbers on each night as equal as possible. :)

Edited by Aces51

12 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

If we have to go with the fixed nights then it should be Monday and Thursday. Wolves, King's Lynn and Poole on Mondays and the remaining existing PL tracks on Thursdays. Any newcomers to be allocated to keep the numbers on each night as equal as possible. :)

cant see poole on a Monday difficult what ever way we look at it ?

Is there any reason why Speedway isn't run on a Saturday afternoon ? That is the traditional sport day and would more likely attract more Football fans during the summer months. I understand there may be a clash with Grand Prix schedule but has previously mentionned how many GP riders are in UK. Also you are more likely to attract larger crowds when they are not at school or work rather than rushing to a stadium after a busy day.

Edited by drb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

SWEDEN have already had approved by the FIM that they will run their top level on a Tuesday or Thursday and have priority on riders. 

POLAND have the same with Friday, Saturday's and Sunday's 

BRITAIN went with Monday and Wednesday's so Sweden jumped in already to claim Thursdays so Britain have to now keep Monday and Wednesday or accept they may have to cover for riders involved in the top leagues in Sweden and Poland  if fixtures do clash. 

NOTE There may only be one or two top level meetings in Sweden on a Thursday and the same in Poland on a Friday and Saturday night so in most cases fixtures can be sorted to avoid clashes but it would be a risk any track riding on these nights at home signing a rider that competes in the Swedish or Polish top leagues.

other countries get their next season sorted early, Poland complete their signings now and Sweden not far behind but we haven't had an AGM yet so are way behind and have to take what's left.