British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Polish Extraleague TV contract 2019-21

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT sure what all these fiascos are and, of course, Armando is not the man at the top. The various commissions at the FIM do not have complete autonomy.

Armando is the the man VERY much on the top of track racing. WTF? Are you saying that someone else is holding his balls regarding what's going on? He did tell me to my face politic's interfere with his work May this year. We still don't have SoN allocations, we still don't have Nice league calendar...

My plan is to stick to rep until the end...B)

Wasn't it only a couple of seasons ago UK teams rode Friday night's before gps. Sure Bomber in particular missed a few practices to ride for the Bees.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Wasn't it only a couple of seasons ago UK teams rode Friday night's before gps. Sure Bomber in particular missed a few practices to ride for the Bees.

That is right.

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PLUS the reserve dates for rain-offs, etc... get paid what? 

You are findfing ways to be negative rather than positive.   I've given an easy and workable solution to the problem, and this only happens on two GP dates, which would allow Poland and the GP to run without hassle.   You seem content finding ways to put obstacles (none of which are insurmountable) in the way to suit your argument.   No wonder this sport continues to regress without some forward thinking.

If you think there is a high chance of a GP rider being injured on Friday night in Poland it follows that there must be a good chance of the GP first reserve getting a full meeting.  Makes even more sence to have a rider in waiting.

How many riders in the last 5 years have missed a Saturday GP from an injury occuring in league racing the previous Wednesday or Thursday ?     Back up your argument with solid statistics.

Edited by Mark

1 hour ago, Mark said:

You are findfing ways to be negative rather than positive.   I've given an easy and workable solution to the problem, and this only happens on two GP dates, which would allow Poland and the GP to run without hassle.   You seem content finding ways to put obstacles (none of which are insurmountable) in the way to suit your argument.   No wonder this sport continues to regress without some forward thinking.

If you think there is a high chance of a GP rider being injured on Friday night in Poland it follows that there must be a good chance of the GP first reserve getting a full meeting.  Makes even more sence to have a rider in waiting.

How many riders in the last 5 years have missed a Saturday GP from an injury occuring in league racing the previous Wednesday or Thursday ?     Back up your argument with solid statistics.

NO point, we are on a different page. You have your view and that's fine. But I am sure there will be riders unhappy about getting from Poland on a Friday night to an SGP venue the next day especially if the latest they can sign-on is 12 noon.

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO point, we are on a different page. You have your view and that's fine. But I am sure there will be riders unhappy about getting from Poland on a Friday night to an SGP venue the next day especially if the latest they can sign-on is 12 noon.

The riders travel from a Saturday evening GP to race in Poland on Sunday afternoon so, again, you're finding an objection that's not an issue.  Change the time of the sign in - very simple and problem solved.     

Speedway should employ those who find solutions rather than those who only put forward reasons why the sport can't do something different.

Edited by Mark

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I`m not sure there is anything positive regarding the Extraleague wanting to tie riders to racing on 10 Fridays- 24 hours before  a round of the biggest competition in world speedway. If riders want to practice(and most do) they should be allowed to. The Extraleague was very lucky with the weather in 2018- might not be the same as regards postponements in 2019. In total there are in addition to the 2 definite Friday`s another 6 are reserve dates. Poland could, if the will is  there , use other free Friday`s and Saturday`s instead.

Edited by racers and royals

9 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I`m not sure there is anything positive regarding the Extraleague wanting to tie riders to racing on 10 Fridays- 24 hours before  a round of the biggest competition in world speedway. If riders want to practice(and most do) they should be allowed to. The Extraleague was very lucky with the weather in 2018- might not be the same as regards postponements in 2019. In total there are in addition to the 2 definite Friday`s another 6 are reserve dates. Poland could, if the will is  there could use other free Friday`s and Saturday`s instead.

It's 2 Friday's not 10 on the current schedule.   We hear so many riders say 'the track was different in practise' so maybe they will benefit from missing half a dozen laps.   I feel that because practise is there the riders feel oblgated to practise but not because it's a benefit.

If they cancelled Friday practise it would save loads of money spent on hotels etc.

Does the rule still stand that should a Saturday GP be cancelled due to rain the Polish League cancel there Sunday fixtures to allow the GP to run on that day ?

Edited by Mark

Just now, Mark said:

It's 2 Fridays not 10 on the current schedule.   We hear so many riders say 'the track was different in practise' so maybe they will benefit from missing half a dozen laps.   I feel that because practise is there the riders feel oblgated to practise but not because it's a benefit.

Does the rule still stand that should a Saturday GP be cancelled due to rain the Polish League cancel there Sunday fixtures to allow the GP to run on that day ?

Yes 2 but could be between 2 and 8 Friday`s. Not sure the Polish league AGREE to cancel their matches- more like the postponement day is next day for the GP`s and Poland decide to cancel if riders become unavailable for league duty- which is also what they do if riders become unavailable because of postponements to SEC comps, U21  and UEM comp`s etc. The Extraleague in my opinion on this matter have gone to far- there are many other Friday`s or Saturday`s they can use- however i would agree that it would split the round up which would lead to a disjointed league table.

5 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Yes 2 but could be between 2 and 8 Friday`s. Not sure the Polish league AGREE to cancel their matches- more like the postponement day is next day for the GP`s and Poland decide to cancel if riders become unavailable for league duty- which is also what they do if riders become unavailable because of postponements to SEC comps, U21  and UEM comp`s etc. The Extraleague in my opinion on this matter have gone to far- there are many other Friday`s or Saturday`s they can use- however i would agree that it would split the round up which would lead to a disjointed league table.

Glad we agreed it was 2 not 10. :D   Agree the Polish could have scheduled the Friday program better, worked with the GP's, but it's not the massive issue some are making it to be.    Get on with it and find solutions. 

Maybe the new TV deal is allowing clubs to pay the riders more money ?   

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

Glad we agreed it was 2 not 10. :D   Agree the Polish could have scheduled the Friday program better, worked with the GP's, but it's not the massive issue some are making it to be.    Get on with it and find solutions. 

Maybe the new TV deal is allowing clubs to pay the riders more money ?   

What we can agree on is that the new TV deal is behind this !! All 4 matches per round televised between 2 companies - and i suppose with N Sport wanting to keep the prime Sunday slots, for continuity over the 14 rounds,Friday`s were the only day for Eleven sport TV fixtures.

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

What we can agree on is that the new TV deal is behind this !! All 4 matches per round televised between 2 companies - and i suppose with N Sport wanting to keep the prime Sunday slots, for continuity over the 14 rounds,Friday`s were the only day for Eleven sport TV fixtures.

When Premier League football was split between Sky and BT Sport more money came into the game in TV deals.  Players earned loads more money and so did the clubs.  I'd be very surprised if more money is not being generated by two TV deals in Poland.   Every rider is now guaranteed a live TV slot each week which could increase personal sponsorship.

There are plenty of positives if we look for them.    

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

When Premier League football was split between Sky and BT Sport more money came into the game in TV deals.  Players earned loads more money and so did the clubs.  I'd be very surprised if more money is not being generated by two TV deals in Poland.   Every rider is now guaranteed a live TV slot each week which could increase personal sponsorship.

No doubt the Extraleague, the clubs and the riders will all be benefiting- this is from my post in the OP.

This new contract for coverage of the Extraleague from 2019 to 2021 is reportedly  worth 60 million PLN as against 25 million PLN for the period 2016-18. 

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

Plenty of positives for the Polish league. I think riders should be given the proper preparation time for a GP which gives them the option to practise or relax on a Friday. Not dashing from airports to GP venues on a Saturday afternoon. The riders talk about burnout, this won't make it any better. As with Sunday fixtures in Poland not been cancelled after a GP rain off well I wouldn't guarantee it. Rules can be changed as per practise and the Polish League now know the FIM is in  a weak position , they effectively now control the riders and the schedule.

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

No doubt the Extraleague, the clubs and the riders will all be benefiting- this is from my post in the OP.

This new contract for coverage of the Extraleague from 2019 to 2021 is reportedly  worth 60 million PLN as against 25 million PLN for the period 2016-18. 

So the moans from riders, as Phililp Rising suggested, will in fact be loud cheers.   Everyone will love Friday night racing as they'll be earning bigger salaries.