British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

RIP Bernie Leigh

Seen on Facebook that Reading stalwart and ex-Swindon man Bernie Leigh has sadly passed away.

Poignant for me as he's the first to pass away of the original Swindon 7 I watched in my first meeting v Ipswich in 1974.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

Got to know Bernie quite well at the Lew Coffin training schools 68/69. Always absolutely determined to make the grade, it was a pleasure to see him gradually progress to team Speedway. 

Once he had done so he continued to attend the schools with the hire bike and was always willing to advise novices (or often as not help pick them up!). 

A hell of a nice guy with always a cheerful word for everybody. 

RIP Bernie

• Like 2

This is sad news. Bernie was one of those guys every team needs. Totally reliable without being a superstar. RIP Bernie.

• Like 2

'Good old' Bernie Leigh as he was known. A Reading institution. RIP

• Like 3

Very sad news. Remember watching Bernie many times and was Reading thru' and thru'. After his one year loan spell at Swindon he did consider swithing over to 'the 'Robins' but returned home after Smallmead was completed afer a little pressure from Reg Fearman!

Speeday couldn't survive without the Bernie Leighs...dependable team orientated loyal riders and something sadly lacking nowadays.

May he RIP.

• Like 3

Very sad news. He was my favourite Racer of the 70's and early 80's. Team riding with Bobby Schwartz was brilliant to watch. A team man through and through. I use to watch him grass tracking as well. A lovely man. Condolences to his family.

• Like 4

Recall an interview with Bernie when he said that he often rode at the difficult Number Four postion in which there were no easy rides. Developed a great understanding with Bobby Schwartz during the 'Racers' championship winning year in 1980.

An alll round motorcyclist who competed on the grass and longtracks around Europe during his career.

One incident I remember was at White City in 1977 when Reading 'stole' a victory at Wood Lane when Bernie caused, in my view, Gordon Kennett to fall but wasn't excluded!

Turned out at Swindon in 1974 wearing a striking pair of blue and yellow leathers.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:29 AM, frigbo said:

Seen on Facebook that Reading stalwart and ex-Swindon man Bernie Leigh has sadly passed away.

Poignant for me as he's the first to pass away of the original Swindon 7 I watched in my first meeting v Ipswich in 1974.

Bernie was the first Swindon rider I was aware of, as his picture was in the Speedway Star that I bought before going to my first match. 

That was also 1974, although David Ashby was riding, so Bernie isn't the first to go from that side.

• Like 2

RIP Bernie

By far an unsung superstar in my early days watching speedway.

I might be wrong but was Bernie the one and only world wrong way round speedway champion?

• Like 1

I don't remember any specific races involving Bernie but can recall him riding, as others have said a dependable team man.  It was Bernie's bike that featured in the best race I have ever witnessed, Anders Michanek and PC fought out a run off for the Speedway Star Cup in 73 after the teams had tied over 2 legs.  That race has been well documented over the years but I've never forgotten Bernie's role in ensuring we got such an exciting finale, Mich was having mechanical troubles and would not have got near PC but for the bike switch.

Thanks for the memories Bernie.   RIP

• Like 2

I was lucky to have seen him ride grass track, speedway and enduro. I still have the photo of him that hung in Artdeans Motorcycle shop in Rodbourne, thanks for the memories.

RIP Bernie

Edited by MARK246
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 1:29 AM, frigbo said:

In a way it is poignant for me too, as the first time I saw Sheffield race league opposition (first two home meetings were a pairs and then an individual), it was against Reading, and Bernie was in that side. 

• Like 1

michanekSo sad to hear about Good old Bernie Leigh. He was a Reading Racer favourite. Remember when he lean't his bike to Michanek for the race off for the knock out cup at Belle Vue. Star man.