British Speedway Forum
Bavarian

FIM Flat Track World Cup 2019

In 2019 the F.I.M. runs an official Individual Flat Track Motorcycle World Cup series over three finals. http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/sport/flat-track/

F.I.M.  Flat Track World Cup 2019:

July 13, 2019 - Final 1 at Terenzano (Italy)

September 7, 2019 - Final 2 at Morizès (France)

September 14, 2019 - Final 3 at Misano (Italy)

This year, the F.I.M. Flat Track Cup final was held as a one-off Event at Misano (Italy) on September 8, 2018. http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/ranking/flat-track/

2018 F.I.M. Flat Track Cup results:

1st ... Francesco Cecchini (Italy)

2nd ... Gerard Bailo (Spain)

3rd ... Franc Serra (Spain)

4th ... Ferran Sastre (Spain)

5th ... Mikko Kostinen (Finland)

6th ... Adrian Garin (Spain)

7th ... Maikel Dijkstra (Netherlands)

8th ... Guillermo Cano (Spain)

9th ... Lasse Kurvinen (Finland)

10th ... Gianni Borgiotti (Italy)

11th ... Hanson Schruf (Austria)

12th ... Niclas Poytalaakso (Finland)

13th ... Lorenzo Villamagna (Italy)

14th ... Pavel Pucko (Czech Republic)

15th ... Carlos Espinosa (Spain)

16th ... Paolo Piccinini (Italy)

17th ... Florian Eder (Austria)

18th ... Yasmin Poppenreiter (Austria)

19th ... Wilfried Delestre (France)

20th ... Jiri Kraus (Czech Republic)

21th ... Vaclav Gehart (Czech Republic)

Is there any reason why American and Canadian Flat Track riders - probably at top-level by far the best riders in the world - do not appear to be involved in this championship? 

6 hours ago, gustix said:

Is there any reason why American and Canadian Flat Track riders - probably at top-level by far the best riders in the world - do not appear to be involved in this championship? 

Because it’s in Europe, probably without prize money and nobody/not enough anyway cares...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Because it’s in Europe, probably without prize money and nobody/not enough anyway cares...

I think Speedyguy/gustix is probably active enough on those forums in the US/Canada to ask the question on the relative forums.But your answer is one shared by my un-qualified opinion.It makes sense:D

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I think Speedyguy/gustix is probably active enough on those forums in the US/Canada to ask the question on the relative forums.But your answer is one shared by my un-qualified opinion.It makes sense:D

For past years you’ve also qualified for the final by filling an entry form... Mickey Mouse??

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

For past years you’ve also qualified for the final by filling an entry form... Mickey Mouse??

Begs the more relevant question as to why no British rider has entered?But like you say,Mickey Mouse....there is also a world stock car championship that has every year of its existence been held in the UK.Sometimes at wonderful places like Skegness and hardly any foreign drivers enter....

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, DutchGrasstrack said:

Allocations:

CZ 3
AT 4
FR 3
IT 5
NL 1 (Maikel Dijkstra)
ES tba
FI 2

So, riders from just seven European nations have entered this F.I.M. Flat Track World Championship event, but there are no Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, Japanese, etc.

Considering that the FIM Flat Track World Cup in the past has received next to no media attention, no tv coverage, with only a few hundreds instead of thousands of spectators attending these Events, one has to ask how this has now been given world Championship status. Well, it would perhaps be o.k. to make it a EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP, but for the F.I.M. to call this a World Championship is quite ridiculous.

They should rather award the world titel to the annual winner of the American Flat Track series, which is without doubt providing the highest level of flat track racing worldwide.

But it is interesting to know that for some years now the F.I.M. has accepted the A.M.A. Supercross series as a world championship. The top Europeans have to enter and go racing in America to fight for the world title in Supercross. This is what should be done with the F.I.M. Flat Track World Championship as well. 

It's not a World Championship, it's a World Cup. It doesn't mean anything. It's only partly organised by FIM, the same as the track racing youth meetings. Except the 250’s speedway which is a World Championship since 2 years.

Edited by DutchGrasstrack
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

So, riders from just seven European nations have entered this F.I.M. Flat Track World Championship event, but there are no Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, Japanese, etc.

Considering that the FIM Flat Track World Cup in the past has received next to no media attention, no tv coverage, with only a few hundreds instead of thousands of spectators attending these Events, one has to ask how this has now been given world Championship status. Well, it would perhaps be o.k. to make it a EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP, but for the F.I.M. to call this a World Championship is quite ridiculous.

They should rather award the world titel to the annual winner of the American Flat Track series, which is without doubt providing the highest level of flat track racing worldwide.

But it is interesting to know that for some years now the F.I.M. has accepted the A.M.A. Supercross series as a world championship. The top Europeans have to enter and go racing in America to fight for the world title in Supercross. This is what should be done with the F.I.M. Flat Track World Championship as well. 

That  response tends to clarify the situation in regard to my query regarding the absence of American and Canadian riders from the FIM supported competition. Thank you Bavarian. 

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

It's not a World Championship, it's a World Cup. It doesn't mean anything. It's only partly organised by FIM, the same as the track racing youth meetings.

Thank you DutchGrasstrack for further explaining the status of the European-staged Flat Track event.

There will be some kind of Euro championship hosted by DTRA with events hosted in Holland, Spain and the UK. 

Not associated with FIM Europe for as far as I know.

With respect to recent Flat Track posting under several topic titles, on US,(AFT), UK,(DTRA) and European.('World Cup') scene, this page, http://www.speedwaychampions.com/flat-track.php , puts into context the USA Flat Track v/v the British, European and other National F/T, S/T (Short Track), D/T (Dirt Track) and Hooligan scenes, including definitions and annual winners.
http://www.speedwaychampions.com/flat-track.php
FTs.jpg

• Like 1

tI am rather surprised at some of the antagonism towards Flat Track Racing on the BSF. The same attitude does not - so far as I can judge - towards grass track racing. It is rather sad because I have not seen on various FB forums that mention Flat Track any anti-speedway or anti-grass track attitudes from its devotees.

I might add that the same attitude towards Flat Track racing by many - not all - speedway followers exists in regards to 'stock car' racing. Yet again I see no anti-speedway bias from 'stock car' followers towards speedway.

Why is there this bias? Speedway as such even in these troubled times for the sport in Britain surely is strong enough not to resort to back-biting against other small oval sports.