British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

45 minutes ago, screm said:

Apart from one possibly two riders I`d be amazed if any top Championship rider were on that kind of money.

Poole aren't paying that much. Holder/Magic they would be on 2k meeting everyone else no way. Sponsors should help cover rider costs and then pay them less. 

Glasgow must have been paying close to 10k a meeting in wages. Thats crazy 

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

Not just Glasgow , Workington or whoever 2019 will be make or break for British Speedway in general.

The damage is done. 2018 has already been make or break for some clubs.

48 minutes ago, screm said:

Apart from one possibly two riders I`d be amazed if any top Championship rider were on that kind of money.

If David Howe was on £60pp their must a good number of riders near that figure IMO.I fact I think the majority will be more that David,so with the attendances I have seen in the last few seasons at most tracks you can see where the problems lie.The riders need a reality check IMO .Sponsers and fans trusts are all that's keeping the sport going .

• Like 1

The sport will probably be down to about 20 tracks soon. In these times of austerity and uncertainty, the fan base is going to keep on shrinking, regardless of what the promoters do.

3 hours ago, kermitfrog said:

One of the things that have really caused a complete downfall in attendence of meetings must be the lack, and big break in fixtures. How are you meant to keep fans coming back over and over, if there is say a three or four week break in fixtures. People find other things to do.

Hopefully someone can come up with a masterplan to save this brilliant sport.

But let be honest,have attendances been down this year,??

im far from convinced they have ,i know Scunny are slightly up on last year and i must say at some of the away tracks ive visited this year ive seen quite nice crowds,not record breaking by any stretch but certainly not massively down  to sustain such losses as are being reported

7 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

The long term future doesnt look great, with continuing substantial losses..

https://www.glasgowtigers.co/club-statement-club-position/?mc_cid=3c447b9434&mc_eid=afb93a01f5

I wonder if at any stage of reviewing why attendances are not hitting the required amount to cover costs have the Glasgow Promoters ever reflected on how much the Mickey Mouse way the sport is ran effects them?

One of their riders (Chris Harris) won a Premiership medal riding for Poole and one week later a Cup Winners medal riding for Somerset..

I would suggest they try and influence the stopping of such nonsense and then try and raise awareness and support for their business...

You can be as positive as you want in engaging locals to help...

When the product you are selling is so inherently flawed you will never have a chance of success..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

The problems have been there for a lot of years now & just tweaking thinks here & there has not solved them. So let us not just blame the BSPA, the promoters, the race night package, the riders, the bikes but look at ourselves & the fans that have left the sport. Even the diehards are dwindling away.

Totally agree. 90% of the 'package' is the same as what's in Poland, the small variation in our product is not what is causing the major issues. There are simply not enough people going to meetings nowadays. 

3 hours ago, jenga said:

championship clubs need to freeze the big earners out of their league and into the so called top league only to survive . 

gone are the days of jumping ship to another club because that club pays more .look around every town , city and see how many shops etc are closing because the cant afford to keep staff and the increases in certain set out debits out  of their profits .

get real and bite the bullet, shake a leg , man up , accept the facts and even strangle the budgie !

They tried something like this in the Premiership - max one rider over 8 pt average, went down like a lead balloon with most. 

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I wonder if at any stage of reviewing why attendances are not hitting the required amount to cover costs have the Glasgow Promoters ever reflected on how much the Mickey Mouse way the sport is ran effects them?

One of their riders (Chris Harris) won a Premiership medal riding for Poole and one week later a Cup Winners medal riding for Somerset..

I would suggest they try and influence the stopping of such nonsense and then try and raise awareness and support for their business...

When the product you are selling is so inherently flawed you will never have a chance of success..

What is the alternative? We can't afford to pay the riders in a 7 man team as it is, they have a squad system in Poland to avoid the issue you point out, that's never going to happen in this country with attendances/revenue the way it is just now. 

I can't imagine many people saying, I'm not going to watch speedway any more because we have to get a guest rider, from another club, due to injury/absence.

I've got to be honest, so many people on here/social media are very critical of the BSPA/SCB and slate decisions that have been made but very rarely come up with a solution to the existing problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, montie said:

But let be honest,have attendances been down this year,??

im far from convinced they have ,i know Scunny are slightly up on last year and i must say at some of the away tracks ive visited this year ive seen quite nice crowds,not record breaking by any stretch but certainly not massively down  to sustain such losses as are being reported

They don't have to be down this year ,the levels over the last 5-10 years have not been enough to sustain the sports rising costs.Like I have stated before its Sponsers ,Supporters Clubs and Fans Trusts that are preventing ever bigger losses.

7 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

What is the alternative? We can't afford to pay the riders in a 7 man team as it is, they have a squad system in Poland to avoid the issue you point out, that's never going to happen in this country with attendances/revenue the way it is just now. 

I can't imagine many people saying, I'm not going to watch speedway any more because we have to get a guest rider, from another club, due to injury/absence.

I've got to be honest, so many people on here/social media are very critical of the BSPA/SCB and slate decisions that have been made but very rarely come up with a solution to the existing problems. 

The BSPA/SCB would not listen to such solutions.IMO.

30 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Exactly, not much team ethic nowadays in British Speedway more like a money spinner for riders just to top up wages, then again the system has been like this for a number of years but getting steadily worse.

9 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Exactly, not much team ethic nowadays in British Speedway more like a money spinner for riders just to top up wages, then again the system has been like this for a number of years but getting steadily worse.

That's not what the Workington riders and management said ........ and they won the treble :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trees said:

That's not what the Workington riders and management said ........ and they won the treble :)

Yes I know .

I was there. :P