British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

6 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

What a load of short-sighted, jealous folk there are about calling themselves speedway fans and gloating because a team's owners comes out and makes a statement.
Sure Glasgow spent on trying to put a winning team together but what a lot of folk so blinkered they can't see past their own team is that the Glasgow Promotion also invested heavily in the community around Ashfield. When they bought the stadium they also guaranteed the continuation of the areas junior (equivalent of English non-league) football team and the money spent on the work on the stadium was mostly done by local companies employing local people. Yeah if the Facenna's walk away because of losses it's more than speedway that loses out. 
Think about the greater picture rather than gloat!!!

If the Faceennas walk there will be a whole load of panty wetters on here foaming at the mouth preaching there bile.

They cant help themselves jamlad being the latest , but his need to gloat at this statement is more important than the potential closure of his own club.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Solidmango said:

What is the alternative? We can't afford to pay the riders in a 7 man team as it is, they have a squad system in Poland to avoid the issue you point out, that's never going to happen in this country with attendances/revenue the way it is just now. 

I can't imagine many people saying, I'm not going to watch speedway any more because we have to get a guest rider, from another club, due to injury/absence.

I've got to be honest, so many people on here/social media are very critical of the BSPA/SCB and slate decisions that have been made but very rarely come up with a solution to the existing problems. 

I on the other hand can imagine many people saying I am not going because of guest riders....

In fact I would suggest many, many thousand no longer go because they feel "what's the point"? 

Who cares who wins titles in Britain? None have any kudos the way they are delivered.

The reason why there is no alternative to guests is because there is now a fundamental need for the teams to keep costs down by sharing riders, rather than sign cover for absences, and a need for riders to earn as much money as they can by taking as many rides as they can, regardless of what colours they ride in...

If Poland ever went down the same operating model route as the BSPA uses, and ran leagues devoid of credibility then I can guarantee that they too would have a sport on its arse....

No big money from TV,  no national media coverage, no big company sponsorships and no big attendances would be the ultimate result they would deliver..

Just like we have over here..

• Like 1

Is it co-incidence that this statement came out on the opening day of the promoter's conference ? 

3 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Karma for what i really cant get my head round that comment.

Our promotion have done a lot wrong i agree but they also have done an awful lot right.

But the attitude you show that you would rather gloat and wind fellow speedway fans up says a lot more about you.

If i suspect you support Workington i would never consider gloating on a club that may not come to tspes next year but as i say it says more about you that you feel the need to gloat.

And you really have the cheek to say other fans gloat ? Look no further than your fellow fans , not so long back on threads on here they were all there revelling in the fact Workington might not be running next season , etc etc etc .... but hey your big guns didn’t come to the party,  who the promotion had invested in heavily and you are where you are . Like every other team !

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

If Poland ever went down the same operating model route as the BSPA uses, and ran leagues devoid of credibility then I can guarantee that they too would have a sport on its arse....

No big money from TV,  no national media coverage, no big company sponsorships and no big attendances would be the ultimate result they would deliver..

Just like we have over here..

Chicken and the egg   thou surely ...Easy to run a league with credibility when you hold all the aces just like when we did back in the day .. ive not seen anyone come up  with any answers to solve the problems we have here bar keep making the standard lower, a plan not worked for the last 20 years .

The moment guests were try to be cut down on people wanted to go back to having more guests within a week ,it would be the same with one big league .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jamlad said:

And you really have the cheek to say other fans gloat ? Look no further than your fellow fans , not so long back on threads on here they were all there revelling in the fact Workington might not be running next season , etc etc etc .... but hey your big guns didn’t come to the party,  who the promotion had invested in heavily and you are where you are . Like every other team !

So your not gloating what made me think you were.

Maybe because you were and now you say its beacause some Glasgow fans were doing likewise weeks ago .

So what your saying is 2 wrongs do make a right ,your a hoot you.

Oh and just for the record i do not condone what some fellow fans posted on the thread you refer to.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

I think that you only have to see the type of riders that Glasgow have signed over the present Promotion's time as owners of the club to realise the the type of budget's been pumped into the club.

Unfortunately the big spending demands big success and this has not really happened for the club, and I always fear for the Glasgow supporters that this day would come around sometime unless they got that success.

Lets hope that a solution can be found and the club does not go out of business, maybe if budgets were reduced things could get better financial and keep the Promotion at the club.     

10 minutes ago, spin king said:

I think that you only have to see the type of riders that Glasgow have signed over the present Promotion's time as owners of the club to realise the the type of budget's been pumped into the club.

Unfortunately the big spending demands big success and this has not really happened for the club, and I always fear for the Glasgow supporters that this day would come around sometime unless they got that success.

Lets hope that a solution can be found and the club does not go out of business, maybe if budgets were reduced things could get better financial and keep the Promotion at the club.     

It's not over yet, or it could be part of the masterplan were they rent the stadium out to the homeless Monarchs in 2020 they re-invent themselves as the lets say Scottish Monarchs ;), we in turn rebuild with the astronomical rent being charged and they in turn perform to massive crowds of 87 and 2 dogs.

We return in 2022 with the coffers replenished ready for another 3 years of overspending and winning hee haw but it was good whilst it lasted.

1 hour ago, spin king said:

Did Glasgow not do just exactly what EVERY other club would have done if they'd had the same budget to play with?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, orion said:

Chicken and the egg   thou surely ...Easy to run a league with credibility when you hold all the aces just like when we did back in the day .. ive not seen anyone come up  with any answers to solve the problems we have here bar keep making the standard lower, a plan not worked for the last 20 years .

The moment guests were try to be cut down on people wanted to go back to having more guests within a week ,it would be the same with one big league .

No plan can ever work without an independent body/person controlling it with a 100% mandate from all concerned to make abiding decisions..

A major issue the sport has is that rules change so quickly, and are manipulated continuously, simply because they can be changed on a whim. 

No business can sustain success with an operating model that so constantly moves all over the place on an adhoc basis. Particularly when those making the adhoc changes have a vested interest in the outcome..

Guests are allowed because they always have been. Too easy to keep doing the same old, same old. Fixed race nights reduced them but absolutely 'loads' we're still used, (and as we saw with the fixture changes, are now an integral part of the operating model), so it could have been regarded as a ' bit better'..

Similar to being sat at the very back of a plane as it crashes into a mountain I would suggest...

A 'bit better' but it won't really be of any use in the grand scheme of things....

If you cannot run any sport properly then your probably best not doing it at all. And a team sport even more so given the emotional attachment you need from your fanbase..

But if you do decide to run a team sport, and instead of running it properly you choose a haphazard set of rules to follow, which destroys the very credibility of the sport, then never be surprised you struggle to get people to follow you...

The sport needs a root and branch investigation into it to form a 'proper plan of action'. Done on a national level by people with no vested interest in the sport.

And then ran by an independent body to maintain discipline, consistency and integrity...

The same way as all 'proper' sports are ran..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Just managed to read the article in full, like Paulco I was surprised to see it raise so soon after the AGM had started and indeed wondered why.

I was also surprised to read 'To help secure the club’s future, we are looking for volunteers across the whole club who can help with any activity from promoting, fundraising, working in the ticket office, selling food and beverage, selling programmes or 50/50 tickets, track staff, sponsorship sales, as well as off-season volunteers.'  Workington have been doing this for years and we still find ourselves struggling.

There is absolutely no reason to be losing over £100,000 a year in speedway. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

There is absolutely no reason to be losing over £100,000 a year in speedway. 

Workington lost a similar amount by all accounts. Success on track didn't generally lead to the required increase in attendances, coupled to more outlay (points money) and no prize money the losses soon mount up. Although with losses at these sort of levels it does beg the question of how much tracks really can afford to pay riders? 

What isn't being recognised here is that Glasgow have put there money where there mouth is, on all threads everybody's solution to the sport's ills has been to "Promote" the sport. Get involved with the community, posters, radio, bus backs mailshots, kids clubs and more, Glasgow have done that they've tried to grow their attendance to a sustainable level and they have taken some very good riders to Ashfield. It hasn't worked and they now find themselves in the same difficulties as everyone else with no clear solution, for me the writing has been on the wall since the beginning of 2017 when crowds dropped back to the previous promotion's levels and that is when the cloth should have been cut accordingly IMHO not 2019.

They got it wrong as far as managing their costs are concerned but don't be harsh on them for trying and next time somebody posts all the answers to getting more people through the turnstile point them in Glasgow's direction, there is no magic formula all the advertising posters in the local chippy will not save Speedway.

• Like 5