British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

The ridiculously REDUCED and STOP/START fixture list this year put paid to the excellent work Glasgow Speedway did to promote the sport over last year and during the winter. This, along with the inability to adhere to a regular race night destroyed any possibility of hanging on to any new or returning fans who were enticed through all the good work. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

The ridiculously REDUCED and STOP/START fixture list this year put paid to the excellent work Glasgow Speedway did to promote the sport over last year and during the winter. This, along with the inability to adhere to a regular race night destroyed any possibility of hanging on to any new or returning fans who were enticed through all the good work. 

Spot on going weeks without any speedway decimated any momentum we had created enticing newer and used to attend fan's , you could visibly see the enthusiasm draining away from most as the stop/start season progressed.

I posted on here In May on a thread I was bored with it already and the lack of fixtures was a big part of it.

• Like 4

Struggling to understand this one.

Glasgow own the stadium and have no rent to pay.

Their main outlay is riders wages.

Their two top riders Craig Cook and Chris Harris both say they don't earn enough to pay the bills.

Glasgow lost over £100,000

• Like 4

17 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

I've also heard this figure its eye watering, whatever happened to realistic budgets based on previous season average attendance. It could be argued riders are pricing themselves out of a job and promotions out of business.

Said it for the last few years riders are pricing themselves out of work,they will be looking for 9-5 jobs that some maintain because they can't make it pay.The chickens are coming home IMO .

This story was on the local Glasgow radio this morning basically reiterating the statement and saying the losses must be reduced drastically in order to continue.

Nothing like a negative soundbite for the press to pick up on it is the Glasgow way. Now a positive story that is another thing you don't hear. 

1 hour ago, toontrader said:

Their two top riders Craig Cook and Chris Harris both say they don't earn enough to pay the bills.

Glasgow lost over £100,000

Simple dont get expensive engine tuners!

33 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Which brings us back to the age old idea of using stock engines made my well known manufacturers and/or cutting the engine capacity. We all see from other form of motorcyle sport that small engines can be just as fast.
It would be interesting to know how many British riders took up the Gerhard-GTR engine offer. I can't say I noticed many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

i cant see the local garden centre charging harris that much to tune his Brigg and Stratton engine .

Edited by jenga
mister T off
  • Haha 1

Championship level should be amateur status, riders should have a full time job and speedway is their hobby.  Retain the upper level at professional status to give the lower  levels to aim

for.  Get rid of doubling up and paid guests, if riders like Cook and Harris want to ride in the lower leagues then they should receive the same point money as the other riders, point money should be the same for all riders irrespective of their average, running costs are the same for all riders no matter what level.

2 hours ago, toontrader said:

Glasgow lost over £100,000:unsure:

Allied Ashfield own the stadium, how do you know there isn't a rent?

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

Allied Ashfield own the stadium, how do you know there isn't a rent?

how do you know there is ? 

if there is a rent to pay , it will be a peppercorn rent .

if they are paying rent, then now is the time to get together and squash it so the speedway can survive . 

its not  rocket science .

Edited by jenga

Well if Cook & Harris dont earn enough to pay bills, either live within there means, or get another job, try living on £7.83 per hour, then they might have something to moan about.. ;)

• Like 8

To Jenga, I never said that they did pay rent. Not rocket science, it's business.

Edited by tyretrax

7 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

To Jenga, I never said that they did pay rent. Not rocket science, it's business.

and i never said they did . !

i think i answered your question with a question . (rhetorical)

2 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

Well if Cook & Harris dont earn enough to pay bills, either live within there means, or get another job, try living on £7.83 per hour, then they might have something to moan about.. ;)

Amazing how riders coped before doubling up started haha

Riders need to realise the sport here is not able to pay wages to make them fully professional so they will need to either improve to ask for better money and to get other clubs abroad or accept you will more than likely have to work at same time like many do.

The promoters also need to run the sport better in order to bring in more fans which then may lead to more riders being able to be professional and not have to work, but there will always be riders who like Tai are world class then there are others who are very good but will still maybe have to work as well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1