British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

i have a feeling danny phillips and smudge jr could be up north , eh .

24 minutes ago, jenga said:

i have a feeling danny phillips and smudge jr could be up north , eh .

Yes £250 a point 3 points guaranteed new van and some sponsors chucked together to buy them each a PJR engine life’s great for riders up in the cashfield 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Yes £250 a point 3 points guaranteed new van and some sponsors chucked together to buy them each a PJR engine life’s great for riders up in the cashfield 

Glasgow money will be safe then . make a killing on start money tho . eh .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Away from the nonsense for a minute or two . Other clubs are announcing signings , but nothing other than silence from the hallowed halls of Ashfield . 

I must confess that the ridiculous points limit doesnt fill me with enthusiasm for the new season and i worry about what will be served up in front of us because of that . 

The " i know something you dont know " mob will no doubt smugly post some cryptic bollocks about who we've got , happens every winter , but team building to 38 points must be a nightmare . 

If we have Cook it takes over 10 out of the 38 points . 6 riders for less than 28 points - seriously . We had that in the 80's with Steve Lawson and 6 of his mates keeping him company in the pits , it didnt work then and Cook cant win meetings on his own . 

Rumours on here from Workington alleging underhand tactics to get one of their riders with Rasmus Jensen seemingly fitting the bill ........really ? Ok he done well during Worky's glory charge in October , but he's never impressed me round Ashfield in the past - Kid Jensen would have been more competative . 

I'd have the engine room of last season , namely Vissing , Starke and Kerr back again , and play the numbers game from there , such as it is . 

Surely by setting that point limit, it is the intention of stopping the likes of Cook ,Harris etc riding in the Championship league.  It should also help to stop the dreaded doubling up/down situation.  It would be far simpler to have a new rule that a rider can only ride for one club.

• Like 1

Just now, balderdash&piffle said:

Surely by setting that point limit, it is the intention of stopping the likes of Cook ,Harris etc riding in the Championship league.  It should also help to stop the dreaded doubling up/down situation.  It would be far simpler to have a new rule that a rider can only ride for one club.

Well Harris is fixed up near Burnham on Sea and it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if we went down the Cook and the dancing 4 pointers road . So if that was the intention it hasnt really worked . 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Harris has only a 7.71 average though.

23 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Well Harris is fixed up near Burnham on Sea and it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if we went down the Cook and the dancing 4 pointers road . So if that was the intention it hasnt really worked . 

24 minutes ago, Paulco said:

While there is no doubting Cook would be a great high profile signing,watching him cruise round for easy money while the Team struggles to win,would not be a great move.He could get a few tac sub rides when required though.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Away from the nonsense for a minute or two . Other clubs are announcing signings , but nothing other than silence from the hallowed halls of Ashfield . 

I must confess that the ridiculous points limit doesnt fill me with enthusiasm for the new season and i worry about what will be served up in front of us because of that . 

The " i know something you dont know " mob will no doubt smugly post some cryptic bollocks about who we've got , happens every winter , but team building to 38 points must be a nightmare . 

If we have Cook it takes over 10 out of the 38 points . 6 riders for less than 28 points - seriously . We had that in the 80's with Steve Lawson and 6 of his mates keeping him company in the pits , it didnt work then and Cook cant win meetings on his own . 

Rumours on here from Workington alleging underhand tactics to get one of their riders with Rasmus Jensen seemingly fitting the bill ........really ? Ok he done well during Worky's glory charge in October , but he's never impressed me round Ashfield in the past - Kid Jensen would have been more competative . 

I'd have the engine room of last season , namely Vissing , Starke and Kerr back again , and play the numbers game from there , such as it is . 

Without falling into the ‘mob’ category, I have been told that there are certain timescales that need to be adhered to when trying to sign a rider owned by another club which then results in delays on the rider being ‘announced’. 

In addition, Glasgow do try and make the announcements in an exciting manner through their social media outlets. 

I hadnt considered Vissing when doing my guesstimates but based on his average he’d do nicely in one of the heat leader roles, adding in Starke, who I feel is at least a point lower than I expected he would be, then I don’t think having Cook is a big issue. 

I agree generally with a ‘balanced’ structure but our upturn in form last year did coincide with the arrival of Cook and a more top heavy team. 

Time will tell and I reckon we will have 2 or 3 announcements in the near future! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paulco said:

With Cook, I think everyone would agree, especially any of his old clubs, he is great for any team he rides for and brings a lot more than his points.

But with the points limit as it is, having 1 guy take up over 25% of the limit on an average that's pretty hard to maintain, never mind improve I can't see it producing a trophy winning team unless you have an real ace(s) up your sleeve aka like when he won the double with Edinburgh in 2014/2015. 

In 2014, he came in on a whopping 10.5 average, but Edinburgh had Steve Worrall putting around 5 points on his average, along with Max Fricke on a low average.

In 2015, Cook came in on much lower average due to team riding with Sedgman, was able to put a point on his own average and had Agent Wolbert adding 2 points, along with Masters and Sedgman both adding points to their average.

IF Cook signs, I just don't see Glasgow having any of these types of riders lined up of to come in alongside Cook who can be substantial 'improvers' to produce a league winning formula.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Paulco said:

you are going to eat those words .

As much as Craig Cook is excellent off the track as much as he is on it and as most have said it would leave us with too long a tail , with the low points limit we need to be a lot more creative in our team building.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Paulco said:

Cook will at least bring wins & heat advantages in heats 13 & 15. Something that was missing far to often in the first half of the season. Just hope the team being built around him is strong enough to back him up. 

Likewise I am struggling to understand the alleged signing of Jensen. Don't get that one. If it is true that would most likely rule out a return for Kerr 

With Kent confirmed for the national league hopefully that means Jack Thomas will be returning

A combination of rumours and guessing......

Cook 10.18

Vissing 7.23

Jensen 6.59

Starke 5.73

Greaves  3.99

Thomas 2.24

..........   2.04

With drew kemp at Sheffield. What 2 pointers are there that could add a point or 2 on to there average? Looks like we might need to find one of these guys.

14 hours ago, StepK said:

Cook will at least bring wins & heat advantages in heats 13 & 15. Something that was missing far to often in the first half of the season. Just hope the team being built around him is strong enough to back him up. 

Likewise I am struggling to understand the alleged signing of Jensen. Don't get that one. If it is true that would most likely rule out a return for Kerr 

With Kent confirmed for the national league hopefully that means Jack Thomas will be returning

A combination of rumours and guessing......

Cook 10.18

Vissing 7.23

Jensen 6.59

Starke 5.73

Greaves  3.99

Thomas 2.24

..........   2.04

With drew kemp at Sheffield. What 2 pointers are there that could add a point or 2 on to there average? Looks like we might need to find one of these guys.

I think Vissing comes in on a 6.94 average StepK........so if we had to run with this type of team make up, I'd probably have Sargeant back in place of Greaves as we don't know how he'll be after his injury and long spell out. 

• Like 1

If Cook rides for Glasgow in 2019 that would be bad for G.B. speedway & a backward step for C.C. May be they can sign Greg Hancock?

• Like 1