British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

2 minutes ago, mac101 said:

As Gerry Facenna said in his tv interview it was with a few different sponsors help that they managed to secure some of this years riders so if the sponsor wants to write off some money he is free to do so whether it be vans  rolling chassis Kevlar's engines  which are all given back at the end of the season it’s really up to them 

Its the standard reply to “ where does the money come from”.

1 minute ago, mac101 said:

As Gerry Facenna said in his tv interview it was with a few different sponsors help that they managed to secure some of this years riders so if the sponsor wants to write off some money he is free to do so whether it be vans  rolling chassis Kevlar's engines  which are all given back at the end of the season it’s really up to them 

Agreed and that was the case last year as well; as one guy I sponsor was given a £6k sign on however he chose to take two bikes instead of the sign on money. It worked out better for him as it probably stretched to about £8.5k of gear rather than £6k of cash and that was fully funded from a sponsor rather than the club. But I don't think anything was handed back at the end of the year, however deals have always been sweetened by fringe benefits in every job not just sport.

Regards
THJ

8 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye am coming round to your way of thinking Paulco and a was doing a night shift of me own unfortunately 

Regards

THJ 

Night shift for the business you own, wow??????

Were you just checking all were awake?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Agreed and that was the case last year as well; as one guy I sponsor was given a £6k sign on however he chose to take two bikes instead of the sign on money. It worked out better for him as it probably stretched to about £8.5k of gear rather than £6k of cash and that was fully funded from a sponsor rather than the club. But I don't think anything was handed back at the end of the year, however deals have always been sweetened by fringe benefits in every job not just sport.

Regards
THJ

Most of these sponsors can afford to write of that sort of money Glasgow seem to have a good few that are willing to help riders 

How to promote a club 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 3

With the upcoming BSPA AGM, we have made the decision that we will continue to support the participation of Glasgow Tigers as a Championship team in 2019, but unless we can make a significant turnaround in terms of operational costs and revenue, it is doubtful we will be able to support a Championship team the following year.

Lest ye forget.

Just out of curiosity, where did the contempt/hatred towards Glasgow come from? Workington fans have been putrid on here towards us. Revelling in a statement that our promoters may not invest their hard earned into the club after next year. 

What is the reason for it? We don't even get this level of abuse from the 0131's.

As I have said before, many times, it seems people would rather we had went out of business. Or did everyone just prefer their easy points when we were rolling up with the O'Malley's and Horwoods of the world?  Instead that Faccenna's have created a very good racing facility and have the most productive and forward thinking promoting team out there. This promotion has also brought many new fans in through the gate, some of which now travel to away matches. Yet people still want to slaughter them.

The backward thinking mentality of some people will close the sport down in this country for good. 

• Like 8

Would be very disappointed if rival fans wanted to see any club close, I think it’s to do with the statement that our Championship future could be in jeopardy yet we are supposedly still paying more than other clubs, and in some cases outbidding other clubs for riders.

The marketing side is still fantastic with the video for season tickets very well thought out,  If/when we announce Cook & Jensen I’m certain opposition supporters will find it difficult to understand the ( we can’t go on losing money statements ) in light of the allegations made against the club by so many of the forum users on these pages about silly money being thrown at riders.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

Would be very disappointed if rival fans wanted to see any club close, I think it’s to do with the statement that our Championship future could be in jeopardy yet we are supposedly still paying more than other clubs, and in some cases outbidding other clubs for riders.

The marketing side is still fantastic with the video for season tickets very well thought out,  If/when we announce Cook & Jensen I’m certain opposition supporters will find it difficult to understand the ( we can’t go on losing money statements ) in light of the allegations made against the club by so many of the forum users on these pages about silly money being thrown at riders.

Quite agree. I think some Glasgow fans are overreacting to genuine comments on the promotions tactics and behaviour during the signing and contract details of prospective riders for the following season.There is NO hatred, or a wish to see ANY club close, by any forummers on here. Instead, we all see a certain irony that a team known for dubious attempts to get a rider to move to them, instead of staying with a club who they have already agreed to join, pleading hardship because of their own practices. I also think it is dubious that Glasgow fans don't accept that some on here, including me, do not know actually deals, when with a bit shopping around at Ashfield there will be people who will tell them. It has gone on, so why try and ignore what others know. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, nagy1 said:

Just out of curiosity, where did the contempt/hatred towards Glasgow come from? Workington fans have been putrid on here towards us. Revelling in a statement that our promoters may not invest their hard earned into the club after next year. 

What is the reason for it? We don't even get this level of abuse from the 0131's.

As I have said before, many times, it seems people would rather we had went out of business. Or did everyone just prefer their easy points when we were rolling up with the O'Malley's and Horwoods of the world?  Instead that Faccenna's have created a very good racing facility and have the most productive and forward thinking promoting team out there. This promotion has also brought many new fans in through the gate, some of which now travel to away matches. Yet people still want to slaughter them.

The backward thinking mentality of some people will close the sport down in this country for good. 

Not from me?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Quite agree. I think some Glasgow fans are overreacting to genuine comments on the promotions tactics and behaviour during the signing and contract details of prospective riders for the following season.There is NO hatred, or a wish to see ANY club close, by any forummers on here. Instead, we all see a certain irony that a team known for dubious attempts to get a rider to move to them, instead of staying with a club who they have already agreed to join, pleading hardship because of their own practices. I also think it is dubious that Glasgow fans don't accept that some on here, including me, do not know actually deals, when with a bit shopping around at Ashfield there will be people who will tell them. It has gone on, so why try and ignore what others know. 

MANSE ..whats confusing about the post that  tsunami put up ? 

i agree . no other fans want other clubs to close. its just the way its panned out . one week they are pleading poverty and then they go and do that to another club and offer something better to the rider AFTER the rider has already agreed terms for next year . 

when glasgow were taken over by the brothers , money was no object and certain glasgow fans were gloating at other fans in their new found wealth . the alleged loss was sad , but then they go and offer bigger deals to riders . its foolish to think that even with a packed arena/stadium @ glasgow ,the speedway will make money if they keep opening the purse strings to everyone . the option was there for them and it looks like they may have made the wrong choice to throw good money after bad .

so yes , we moan at each other , but we certainly dont want any club to close 

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nagy1 said:

A think you've hit the nail on the head with the last sentence.

The Glasgow owners and promotion should be commended for their efforts to try and change things, but surely in time they'll have to realise that their just flogging a dead horse ?

• Like 1

I really admire what the present Promotion have done for the sport,but they are sending out some confusing statements regarding finances,on the one hand they are saying they have really good Sponsers financing signing on fees,there crowds look better than most tracks Visited last season yet they are not good enough to prevent financial losses over season,so you would have to question what kind of money they pay riders/ meeting ,every other club must be in serious difficulties.Strange!

3 hours ago, nagy1 said:

Basically the hate ball started rolling from November 14th on page 14 of this thread.....not pointing any fingers though.....lol

Sad thing is, some naive people , who don't seem to realise that speedway is and always has been a ruthless and fickle game, are being caught up and getting too serious about the whole thing. Workington and Glasgow have had a good relationship in the past and this should be maintained. These political and managerial things happen.......let's get on with enjoying our speedway. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Basically the hate ball started rolling from November 14th on page 14 of this thread.....not pointing any fingers though.....lol

Sad thing is, some naive people , who don't seem to realise that speedway is and always has been a ruthless and fickle game, are being caught up and getting too serious about the whole thing. Workington and Glasgow have had a good relationship in the past and this should be maintained. These political and managerial things happen.......let's get on with enjoying our speedway. 

phew , i cant see nothing offensive on page 14 from myself. so thats me out of the game  .lol.

• Haha 2

Got no problem with Glasgow, or how they go about their business. Personally, I always like the underdog to do well, if my team isn't involved, especially Workington last season, as they looked weak on paper, but had a good team spirit.

• Like 1