British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

10 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

No hatred from me and I don't believe there are many, if any, who want to see any club go out of business. You are in the enviable position of having people with lots of money behind your team, and your owners and sponsors can spend their cash as they see fit. Particularly as it is unlikely that speedway have the equivalent of football's Financial Fair Play rules, which are currently being used to scrutinise the accounts of the Glasgow Tigers of football.

Unfortunately this and our thread has taken on some of the traits of the Brexit debates, reams and reams of utter tosh interspersed with the odd comment which may be factually correct.

Good luck to you I say, you probably have the best facilities in the Championship and will probably also be watching the best rider in the Championship again this year. Best team? We will just have to wait and see.

A rare but welcome outbreak of common sense. Unfortunately the thread has also been taken over by those from the school of whoever shouts loudest wins, another unforeseen consequence of social media.

do a count on the big mouths and see who is the loudest mouth on this thread . 

Thats you obviously JENGA i dont have to check.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baba said:

Thats you obviously JENGA i dont have to check.

now you have said that , i will check !

2 hours ago, jenga said:

now you have said that , i will check !

No its definitely you, followed closely by THJ i am well down the pecking order.

Edited by Gazc
  • Thanks 1

Don't think its a hatred of Glasgow, but merely a few over sensitive, defensive replies from 1 or 2 Glasgow fans,,, which may suggest an element of guilt ;)

• Like 4

On 12/4/2018 at 4:20 PM, singy13 said:

Bloody hell......don't leave us pls.......especially to support NUFC...sublime to ridiculous for certain.

Singy13 you are a bit of a "Nosy Parker" on the quiet mind aren't you... however I will humour you with a response in deference to being open and honest.

Where I spend my cash is my choice to be fair; and last year I sponsored 10 riders , 4 at Newcastle; 2 at Workington; 1 at Glasgow; 1 at Scunthorpe; 1 at Redcar and 1 at Berwick; and through the business I injected £46k into speedway in 2018, that was my commitment to the sport last year and since 2009 I have put in around £150k into the sport in total; primarily in rider sponsorship.

I have been fortunate to be in a position to do so and that following a major impact to my business in 2010 when Rok plc collapsed and the fall out from that company going into administration cost me £590k wiping out my personal pension fund and it has been really difficult to maintain this level of support in speedway over the years but I did: I am not sure how I managed to do this whether it was good management or just good luck however I pulled the business back up from the brink; building it back up into a profitable entity and I would like to think that was  down to the former rather than the latter.

Unfortunately this year saw the loss of my main contract to a French company called Engie and that took £1.2M out of my turnover, so that is going from the "Sublime to the Ridiculous" to be fair and where I could have run a Speedway team writing off losses against Corporation Tax that now isn't going to happen.

I do have enough personal disposable cash to finance a team and was approached to be a promoter this year, but why should I pump in thousands of pounds of my own money into something that will never be a viable business under the current constraints. I would like to think I am a competent enough businessman to run a Speedway operation, not just the team but the whole mechanics behind it to make a profit; however I have never been exposed to such a ramshackle way to do business and unless it changes or I could influence change I am not the guy to take it forward, I have had enough now and I have only had 18/24 month of serious involvement.

So I can happily waste my time on watching football that will cost me around £60 to £100 quid for a day/night out and without any of the hassle or grief that comes with running a Speedway team saving me a fortune in the long run. 

I am happy to do my bit; and in 2018 I have done every job in the club from track electrician, programme and 50/50 ticket seller to team manager and helped with (and put cash into) the Workington Speedway Trust who raised £12k last year and £16k the season before with some really committed fans who want to see speedway survive in West Cumbria and certainly do not have the disposable funds I have access to but the do fantastic work. However I keep asking myself what is the point?

You baulked at the suggestion of the removal of the concession at Derwent Park which would have mitigated all be it in a very small way to reducing the losses of the club, after all it is nothing other clubs have not done, but you were vehemently against that so why should anyone pump in thousands of pounds of their own cash to subsidise other fans speedway without it at least being viable. After all what is another £3 quid or a fiver for that matter if it was the difference to having or not having Speedway. Look at the Berwick thread they are going through the same pain... 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, singy13 said:

Night shift for the business you own, wow??????

Were you just checking all were awake?

Now on this little chestnut, my Dad had a brain haemorrhage nearly 4 year ago in January 2015 and had cranioscopy surgery then a follow up operation where a Titanium plate was fitted in lieu of removed bone, which was the first successful cranioscopy surgery and reconstructive follow up works carried out on an octogenarian at the RVI Newcastle ever (so he's a bit of a celebrity in there) (they had tried it 7 times previous and all the others didn't make it unfortunately).

However since this event happened he now has Vascular Dementia and I have lived with him since he came out of hospital primarily to stop the need for him going into residential care. (why? because I am in the fortunate position where I can) Unfortunately with this disease he can get his self a bit confused and sometimes he wakes up at midnight and thinks it is dinner time like Monday night Tuesday morning, added to which he actually thought it was Sunday and wanted a Sunday dinner.

I only wished it was as simple as doing a Night Shift at work believe me; he had a water infection last month and it was the first time I had ever heard anyone "speaking in tongues" and made the David Baddiel documentary about his father’s dementia, "The Trouble with Dad" both hilarious and tragic at the same time because if you don't laugh you will end up in tears and driven round the bend.

So to answer your question no I was not checking all were awake? and if you have gleaned anything from the comments above  there is no need to do a night shift for the business I own as that like my old boy it is pretty stuffed as well, furthermore I was led to believe that only Whores and Policemen done night shift, (oh sorry!!! and Paulco!!! whatever he does? sorry Paulco) So I hope I have answered your questions and posts to your satisfaction.

At the end of the day I am only an ordinary Puff not an Octo-Puff I only have one pair of hands not eight and can only juggle so many balls at once, oh and added to which my daughter is about to have ones first grandchild in the next week or two so that's something else to contend with.

Ho Ho Ho feckin Ho Speedway? Sometimes I haven't got time to have a S***e let alone do anything else!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all our readers

Regards
THJ

• Like 3

On 12/3/2018 at 4:59 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Breaking News - Big Date for the Calendar

Gerry Cinnamon Announced Glasgow 24th December

Regards
THJ 

Leave Gerry out of this John :angry:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So I hope I have answered your questions and posts to your satisfaction.

Blimey you can type marra............as ever comprehensive, and more than interesting stuff indeed....all sparked by a couple of TiC comments albeit.

I've never had the financial clout you obviously have enjoyed...my commitment to the Comets started in 1970...til 1979..then 1999 to date - not sure how much that has cost but worth every penny.....as for football support I travel to watch..............................................................................................MUFC...ok.

just doing a bit of doodling !

good looking team for Glasgow at the moment . got this from my mole in the garden .

cookie, claus, sarj , starkie , lawlor , rasser , and klindt . 

Sheffield have something to fear , thats for sure ..............  sure it comes under the 38 points limit . 

21 minutes ago, MD said:

Speak for yourself! Id go for get to f**k Sarj.

Who in their right mind sanctioned this never mind thought it. They need psychological assesment. He was woeful last year so deserves to be brought back?

Do the decision makers actually watch the racing. How many tapes offences did JS have last year which penalised the team? How many times did a semi competent reserve turn up and roast him in ht2 at home. How many times did he pathetically pull onto the grass when stone last and not finish the heat, at home?

Nathan Greaves deserves to come back, hungry, smooth, decent gater and never let anyone down.

Struggling to continue supporting after this one, fookin raging.

Bit harsh I think, we all know he has the ability to kick on , so let's get behind him and show him some support.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MD said:

Speak for yourself! Id go for get to f**k Sarj.

Who in their right mind sanctioned this never mind thought it. They need psychological assesment. He was woeful last year so deserves to be brought back?

Do the decision makers actually watch the racing. How many tapes offences did JS have last year which penalised the team? How many times did a semi competent reserve turn up and roast him in ht2 at home. How many times did he pathetically pull onto the grass when stone last and not finish the heat, at home?

Nathan Greaves deserves to come back, hungry, smooth, decent gater and never let anyone down.

Struggling to continue supporting after this one, fookin raging.

Never got by he first bend if I remember right

32 minutes ago, Tigeratheart said:

Bit harsh I think, we all know he has the ability to kick on , so let's get behind him and show him some support.

Deja vu from 12 months ago. Still waiting on the kick on.