British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

29 minutes ago, MD said:

Deja vu from 12 months ago. Still waiting on the kick on. 

Exactly . Starting at reserve last year should have enabled him to up his average quite a bit , that never happened and even less chance of it happening starting in the main body of the team , even in a watered down league . 

Edited by Paulco

10 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

I suppose it depends on the rest of the team, if he is main body and we have a decent reserve they might swap throughout the season?

Going to be two , two pointers at reserve in all likelihood . So unless we stumble onto a gem it's unlikely Sarjeant will be back at reserve , even with no increase in his average . 

Personally i would have went for Greaves , we never seen what he could bring to the team before injury struck , but he had impressed round Ashfield previously , riding against us . 

12 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

I suppose it depends on the rest of the team, if he is main body and we have a decent reserve they might swap throughout the season?

I if Cook and Jensen are in, which is looking very likely, then that ain't gonna happen Tigerforever......

4 hours ago, jenga said:

just doing a bit of doodling !

good looking team for Glasgow at the moment . got this from my mole in the garden .

cookie, claus, sarj , starkie , lawlor , rasser , and klindt . 

Sheffield have something to fear , thats for sure ..............  sure it comes under the 38 points limit . 

I think you need a calculator its over 40 never mind 38 lol

• Confused 1

On 12/4/2018 at 7:26 PM, topaz325 said:

Not from me?

Yeah I remember the meeting we were well depleted and you turned up in your red puffer jackets :rolleyes: to mingle in with Glasgow ...sorry but blue and white all the way for me I certainly wasn’t embarrassed to be a Comets fan !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Singy13 you are a bit of a "Nosy Parker" on the quiet mind aren't you... however I will humour you with a response in deference to being open and honest.

Where I spend my cash is my choice to be fair; and last year I sponsored 10 riders , 4 at Newcastle; 2 at Workington; 1 at Glasgow; 1 at Scunthorpe; 1 at Redcar and 1 at Berwick; and through the business I injected £46k into speedway in 2018, that was my commitment to the sport last year and since 2009 I have put in around £150k into the sport in total; primarily in rider sponsorship.

I have been fortunate to be in a position to do so and that following a major impact to my business in 2010 when Rok plc collapsed and the fall out from that company going into administration cost me £590k wiping out my personal pension fund and it has been really difficult to maintain this level of support in speedway over the years but I did: I am not sure how I managed to do this whether it was good management or just good luck however I pulled the business back up from the brink; building it back up into a profitable entity and I would like to think that was  down to the former rather than the latter.

Unfortunately this year saw the loss of my main contract to a French company called Engie and that took £1.2M out of my turnover, so that is going from the "Sublime to the Ridiculous" to be fair and where I could have run a Speedway team writing off losses against Corporation Tax that now isn't going to happen.

I do have enough personal disposable cash to finance a team and was approached to be a promoter this year, but why should I pump in thousands of pounds of my own money into something that will never be a viable business under the current constraints. I would like to think I am a competent enough businessman to run a Speedway operation, not just the team but the whole mechanics behind it to make a profit; however I have never been exposed to such a ramshackle way to do business and unless it changes or I could influence change I am not the guy to take it forward, I have had enough now and I have only had 18/24 month of serious involvement.

So I can happily waste my time on watching football that will cost me around £60 to £100 quid for a day/night out and without any of the hassle or grief that comes with running a Speedway team saving me a fortune in the long run. 

I am happy to do my bit; and in 2018 I have done every job in the club from track electrician, programme and 50/50 ticket seller to team manager and helped with (and put cash into) the Workington Speedway Trust who raised £12k last year and £16k the season before with some really committed fans who want to see speedway survive in West Cumbria and certainly do not have the disposable funds I have access to but the do fantastic work. However I keep asking myself what is the point?

You baulked at the suggestion of the removal of the concession at Derwent Park which would have mitigated all be it in a very small way to reducing the losses of the club, after all it is nothing other clubs have not done, but you were vehemently against that so why should anyone pump in thousands of pounds of their own cash to subsidise other fans speedway without it at least being viable. After all what is another £3 quid or a fiver for that matter if it was the difference to having or not having Speedway. Look at the Berwick thread they are going through the same pain... 

Now on this little chestnut, my Dad had a brain haemorrhage nearly 4 year ago in January 2015 and had cranioscopy surgery then a follow up operation where a Titanium plate was fitted in lieu of removed bone, which was the first successful cranioscopy surgery and reconstructive follow up works carried out on an octogenarian at the RVI Newcastle ever (so he's a bit of a celebrity in there) (they had tried it 7 times previous and all the others didn't make it unfortunately).

However since this event happened he now has Vascular Dementia and I have lived with him since he came out of hospital primarily to stop the need for him going into residential care. (why? because I am in the fortunate position where I can) Unfortunately with this disease he can get his self a bit confused and sometimes he wakes up at midnight and thinks it is dinner time like Monday night Tuesday morning, added to which he actually thought it was Sunday and wanted a Sunday dinner.

I only wished it was as simple as doing a Night Shift at work believe me; he had a water infection last month and it was the first time I had ever heard anyone "speaking in tongues" and made the David Baddiel documentary about his father’s dementia, "The Trouble with Dad" both hilarious and tragic at the same time because if you don't laugh you will end up in tears and driven round the bend.

So to answer your question no I was not checking all were awake? and if you have gleaned anything from the comments above  there is no need to do a night shift for the business I own as that like my old boy it is pretty stuffed as well, furthermore I was led to believe that only Whores and Policemen done night shift, (oh sorry!!! and Paulco!!! whatever he does? sorry Paulco) So I hope I have answered your questions and posts to your satisfaction.

At the end of the day I am only an ordinary Puff not an Octo-Puff I only have one pair of hands not eight and can only juggle so many balls at once, oh and added to which my daughter is about to have ones first grandchild in the next week or two so that's something else to contend with.

Ho Ho Ho feckin Ho Speedway? Sometimes I haven't got time to have a S***e let alone do anything else!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all our readers

Regards
THJ

An emotive post THJ and after losing both parents in the last two and half years one I can relate too. I have an idea how much you have done for the Comets and would just like to say a very big thank you, your help in all the ways you mention has been invaluable. Best wishes to yourself and Dad for Xmas and 2019 fella. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, MD said:

Speak for yourself! Id go for get to f**k Sarj.

Who in their right mind sanctioned this never mind thought it. They need psychological assesment. He was woeful last year so deserves to be brought back?

Do the decision makers actually watch the racing. How many tapes offences did JS have last year which penalised the team? How many times did a semi competent reserve turn up and roast him in ht2 at home. How many times did he pathetically pull onto the grass when stone last and not finish the heat, at home?

Nathan Greaves deserves to come back, hungry, smooth, decent gater and never let anyone down.

Struggling to continue supporting after this one, fookin raging.

i think this post is a bit harsh but agree with, he hasn't kicked on at all and every year he is on a "bargain average" and lets face it he is what he is now, lets hope they are stocked up on starting tapes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cupidstunt said:

i think this post is a bit harsh but agree with, he hasn't kicked on at all and every year he is on a "bargain average" and lets face it he is what he is now, lets hope they are stocked up on starting tapes.

How many times did he break the tapes at home 

Sorry to change tack for a moment and this question is probably directed to Gazc as he is an avid Teddy Bear fan

When I was working on the Govan back in 81/82 I went to the odd Rangers match and we went into a mad pub, bit of a supporters pub, however and here is the question when I went back there a couple of years back the place had changed that much I struggled as the place I was "digging in" had been pulled down (old style tenement) and all these new "yuppie" type flats had gone up and I couldn't get my bearings or find the pub, found the ground but not the pub; however I remember walking up from the river up the bank/incline and through some houses and flats and this sort of low level pub was in front of us... after a few beers the walk to the ground as I remember could not have been more than 5 minutes away from the stadium (if that), Question is what was the name of the Pub and as I couldn't find it has this also been pulled down.

It came up in a conversation last night in the pub whilst watching the Everton match (with Greek commentary) about pubs local to football grounds 

Regards
THJ

Not a chance

However none of them are ringing a bell with the old memory cells, may be that Louden Tavern but the name just doesn't register either and looking on the Louden Web Site it looks much cleaner and tidier than I remember it (if that was the spot). Unless this pub has a colloquial name and refereed to as something different by the locals but the spot we were drinking in might have gone because the place has really changed from when I was living there.

Regards
THJ

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Sorry to change tack for a moment and this question is probably directed to Gazc as he is an avid Teddy Bear fan

When I was working on the Govan back in 81/82 I went to the odd Rangers match and we went into a mad pub, bit of a supporters pub, however and here is the question when I went back there a couple of years back the place had changed that much I struggled as the place I was "digging in" had been pulled down (old style tenement) and all these new "yuppie" type flats had gone up and I couldn't get my bearings or find the pub, found the ground but not the pub; however I remember walking up from the river up the bank/incline and through some houses and flats and this sort of low level pub was in front of us... after a few beers the walk to the ground as I remember could not have been more than 5 minutes away from the stadium (if that), Question is what was the name of the Pub and as I couldn't find it has this also been pulled down.

It came up in a conversation last night in the pub whilst watching the Everton match (with Greek commentary) about pubs local to football grounds 

Regards
THJ

Sounds like you were in the Albion Way on Broomloan Street which the way you describe the walk to Ibrox may well have been there , sadly the Albion is now closed.

Type in the Albion Way Glasgow and it gives you some history on the bar , The Louden Tavern as it is known now is at the traditional Rangers end of the stadium and at the time you are talking about was called the Stadium Bar , both bars were around 5 minutes walk to the stadium.

Other Bars within 10 mins of Ibrox are

The Wee Rangers Club.

Kensington.

District Bar. 

The Park Bar.

All on Paisley Road West with the exception of The Wee Rangers Club which is on Edmiston Drive. I actually ran the Kensington for a few years in the 90s cracking wee boozer but like most other community bars are really struggling now all the above are no more than 10 minute walk to the stadium.

Further afield and a 20 minute walk you have another boozer I had in the 90s the oldest boozer in Glasgow the Old Toll Bar, true story on this one a Yank Tourist walked in back in the day and said to my manager to name a price for the Gantry behind the bar and opened a cheque book sadly Scottish & Newcastle would not have been overjoyed if we had sold there priceless Gantry. this would have been too far out the way you describe it, I suspect it is the Albion Way you were in it shows a picture of the Bar on the bar history webpage.

Edited by Gazc
  • Thanks 1

Can we please keep this thread and forum free from football except, perhaps, where directly relevant to speedway. It is, after all, a Speedway forum. There must be some sort of Football forum for such discussions. 

Football, a sport which in my opinion is predominantly played by vastly-overpaid cheating peacocks (nearly used a banned word there!), already pollutes around 99% of the sports pages in all newspapers, precludes a quiet drink in my local as 17 large screen TVs blare out some obscure foreign match, and was responsible for the major disruption to the 2018 speedway calendar resulting in the farcical fixtures fiasco in September/October. Its persistant claim to be our "National Sport", whatever that means, only serves to demean a wide range of other sports and activities. Don't let it take over this forum too. Please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Tapeworm said:

Can we please keep this thread and forum free from football except, perhaps, where directly relevant to speedway. It is, after all, a Speedway forum. There must be some sort of Football forum for such discussions. 

Football, a sport which in my opinion is predominantly played by vastly-overpaid cheating peacocks (nearly used a banned word there!), already pollutes around 99% of the sports pages in all newspapers, precludes a quiet drink in my local as 17 large screen TVs blare out some obscure foreign match, and was responsible for the major disruption to the 2018 speedway calendar resulting in the farcical fixtures fiasco in September/October. Its persistent claim to be our "National Sport", whatever that means, only serves to demean a wide range of other sports and activities. Don't let it take over this forum too. Please.

LOL Sorry however it was more about the pubs than the football; and for Gazc I have looked at the pictures of both pubs and both are/were low level type pubs, however the Stadium Bar definitely rings a bell. I have done the street map walk around the area and honestly the place has changed beyond recognition. I remember a dark grim place all set up for the ship building industry and no different from where I had came from, but now, clean bright; a total "Sea Change" must have been a lot of demolition gone on, not sure its for the better mind... Also looked at the Lounden Tavern on their web site and if that was the spot; that is a lot cleaner too it was more like a smoke filled dungeon than the brightly painted place it looks on the web site. So yep it was definitely one of those two for sure. Need to get back and do a match as it has been a long (long) time. 

Also thinking about it a bit more there was a spot on a terrace row just near the ground as well or right on the end of a row of terraced houses that was another little dungeon which was a brilliant pub... 

Fading memories now as you cant find a decent pub these days, and by pub I mean a drinking mans pub not one of these arty farty places selling continental beers for a fiver a pint/bottle and bacon and brie sarnies

Regards
THJ

Just to add been on Google Maps again and the Kensington and Park Bars look like the other one/two on the end of blocks that I was thinking of; only thing is over time they had melded into one pub; but I have frequented both of those in the day but would never have remembered the names.

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy