British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

2 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

Bit harsh,  Cookie was a run off away from being back in the GP next season.

Yeh ,but he is an also ran when in the real thing,he has already ready said  it cost him a fortune to compete.He is not as good as he thinks he is IMO.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Confused 1

I thought the lower points limit was there to stop the likes of Cook coming into the CL.

The league will still be too strong  for some of the young riders expected to move up from the NL.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Yeh ,but he is an also ran when in the real thing,he has already ready said  it cost him a fortune to compete.He is not as good as he thinks he is IMO.

To be fair he still is pretty good regardless; and Glasgow have a quality No 1 who will probably end 2019 with a double figure average; and at this level he is definitely better than he might think; and I would suggest every club in this league would like to have him in their team without a shadow of doubt. Will be a force to be reckoned with and will guarantee points in heats 13 and 15 for sure

Regards 
THJ

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

To be fair he still is pretty good regardless; and Glasgow have a quality No 1 who will probably end 2019 with a double figure average; and at this level he is definitely better than he might think; and I would suggest every club in this league would like to have him in their team without a shadow of doubt. Will be a force to be reckoned with and will guarantee points in heats 13 and 15 for sure

Regards 
THJ

Not denying his level in GB ,but should he really be riding in Championship giving the problems in the sport,and what the BSPA said they are trying to remedy by lowering points limit to bring  GB youngsters into the league and cut costs.He won’t be cheap but if a club are willing to pay we can’t really complain,it’s not his fault.Sport is still in the same mess for another year IMO.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not denying his level in GB ,but should he really be riding in Championship giving the problems in the sport,and what the BSPA said they are trying to remedy by lowering points limit to bring  GB youngsters into the league and cut costs.He won’t be cheap but if a club are willing to pay we can’t really complain,it’s not his fault.Sport is still in the same mess for another year IMO.

Just goes to show how at odds some promotions are with the rules introduced. If they are not willing to go with the spirit of the intended changes there is limits to what can be done. Certainly allowing riders to keep champ averages is wrong, should be highest average applies so instead of 11.30 Craig slips in on 10.18?

35 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don't have time to check but assume you've posted the same on the Leicester and Somerset pages as the likes of Harris, Nicholls, Schlein, Worrall won't be cheap but then ironically Somerset, Leicester and Glasgow will all have young UK riders in there team. And will the 12.19 used up by Cook and Lawlor cost more than say Wilson-Dean (6.00) and Doolan (6.09)

Await post from THJ to gives us the honest facts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

21 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Just goes to show how at odds some promotions are with the rules introduced. If they are not willing to go with the spirit of the intended changes there is limits to what can be done. Certainly allowing riders to keep champ averages is wrong, should be highest average applies so instead of 11.30 Craig slips in on 10.18?

But none of this is Glasgow's or Craig's fault really is it, its his job and they will pay his wages, and the rules dictate he can ride where he wants to at the moment; they are just working within the rules for rider selection and I don't fundamentally disagree "per se"  with anything being said, however it is what it is and you just just have to get on with it.

Well done Glasgow they have IMHO a cracking rider in Craig but he wont be winning the meetings on his own there are another six of them in there getting stuck in and I do agree it will be tough for the young riders coming in as two pointers but again that is what it is.

That's why I would have preferred 6 man teams and done away with the reserves as this must be the only sport that relies on novice riders to come in and be the key personnel in a team, but again it is what it is and the flaws I would suggest will come to light within the first month of season after the first few meetings and it will ether be relatively successful  (if your team are winning) or an absolute disaster (if your team are getting stuffed) but it needs to be given a chance before it gets slated out of site.

Finally Craig's average is what it is and its not like Glasgow have made up a number to fit him in the team, he comes with that average, the powers that be dictate this and not everyone agrees how these are formulated but again those are the current rules.

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Don't have time to check but assume you've posted the same on the Leicester and Somerset pages as the likes of Harris, Nicholls, Schlein, Worrall won't be cheap but then ironically Somerset, Leicester and Glasgow will all have young UK riders in there team. And will the 12.19 used up by Cook and Lawlor cost more than say Wilson-Dean (6.00) and Doolan (6.09)

Await post from THJ to gives us the honest facts

Oooo Spooky that I was doing something else there (see above) when you posted and it doesn't matter does it, you pay what you can afford and if your first option you suggest above works out at a grand and the second option works out at 500 quid so what.

I think what the guys above were saying (could be wrong) was more about the Top Riders racing in this league and the perceived reason from the BSPA to strangle down the the build limit, but Glasgow have not done any different to any of the clubs you have mentioned that's for sure. 

I think the previous posts were more aiming at the hypocrisy of the BSPA rather than the signings being made by Glasgow and the gulf between a rider racing in GP's last year and some of the two point guys coming in, but again and to defend Glasgow they are not doing anything different to other clubs in the league and I for one am okay with that as it is all within the rules and teams are building to those rules however "Skew-Whiff" you might think they are

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key words

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Belle Vue apparently aren't. 

The problem is that riders today view speedway as a full time occupation when in fact it never - apart from the very top boys - has been. Its why they all want to double up. 

It occasionally seems to me that promoters - and Glasgow spring very much to mind - take to the press to state how the club's existence is in jeopardy and how they are losing huge amounts of money and then go out and agree fantastic deals with riders ( I heard a couple last night that made me shake my head with disbelief). 

You are absolutely right about 'the same mess' , and rider demands are one reason why that is the case. 

• Like 5

What I can't understand is the pricing structure at Glasgow, and I haven't seen it already mentioned. Looks like it was also the same last season too, that it costs £10 for a 12 year old to attend?!

If the owners are in it for the long term, and from what I saw when visiting last season with crowds getting lower and lower as every season goes by, surely something needs changed with plenty of clubs now having free admission for under 16's to try and draw in more interest or more chance of parents/adults taking kids with them.

The family ticket on offer is also at least £10 more than other clubs in the same league.

37 minutes ago, Marksman said:

What I can't understand is the pricing structure at Glasgow, and I haven't seen it already mentioned. Looks like it was also the same last season too, that it costs £10 for a 12 year old to attend?!

If the owners are in it for the long term, and from what I saw when visiting last season with crowds getting lower and lower as every season goes by, surely something needs changed with plenty of clubs now having free admission for under 16's to try and draw in more interest or more chance of parents/adults taking kids with them.

The family ticket on offer is also at least £10 more than other clubs in the same league.

Crowds are certainly not in decline contrary to what you think , heard , told.

Crowds have increased year on year since the takeover as reported on BBC radio a fortnight ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Crowds are certainly not in decline contrary to what you think , heard , told.

Crowds have increased year on year since the takeover as reported on BBC radio a fortnight ago.

Crowds aren’t as big as they were say 2 season ago imo. From wondering and looking round the stadium on my last few visits doesn’t seem any where near as busy 

7 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Crowds aren’t as big as they were say 2 season ago imo. From wondering and looking round the stadium on my last few visits doesn’t seem any where near as busy 

Depends what meetings you attended 2 seasons ago.

Meeting attendance fluctuate as you know but from what was said crowds have increased year on year.

7 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Depends what meetings you attended 2 seasons ago.

Meeting attendance fluctuate as you know but from what was said crowds have increased year on year.

If that is the case then the source of the financial losses has to be overspending on riders. Seems strange that the promotion can moan?

The overspend might have come in part from naively paying full-time staff, and even race-day helpers, for doing work that had traditionally previously been happily undertaken by volunteers.

• Like 1