British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

5 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

To be fair he still is pretty good regardless; and Glasgow have a quality No 1 who will probably end 2019 with a double figure average; and at this level he is definitely better than he might think; and I would suggest every club in this league would like to have him in their team without a shadow of doubt. Will be a force to be reckoned with and will guarantee points in heats 13 and 15 for sure

Regards 
THJ

Will be more difficult to double up in 2020 and beyond with the increase and the low points average if it stays similar in 2020.

14 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

The overspend might have come in part from naively paying full-time staff, and even race-day helpers, for doing work that had traditionally previously been happily undertaken by volunteers.

That has been the case I believe

34 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

To the tune of £100k?!

Could easily be £100k between staff costs, the large screen purchase and the track work that was completed. 

2 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

If that is the case then the source of the financial losses has to be overspending on riders. Seems strange that the promotion can moan?

I dont know how much they pay the riders but going by some on here it is too much. Rider cost was only part of the problem though,  staff wages in other areas have been cited , factor in upgrades to stadium area, track , advertising and it all mounts up.

The same observation can be made about your own team and i am not having a go at Edinburgh here ,they also made similar noises two seasons ago hence the fans fighting fund.

Same thing as ourselves except the owners are picking up the loss and not the fan fund.

I do see were you are coming from though and it is just not a Glasgow problem, but we don't help ourselves with the statement released and then allegedly offer big wages , if indeed we have it is only conjecture.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marksman said:

What I can't understand is the pricing structure at Glasgow, and I haven't seen it already mentioned. Looks like it was also the same last season too, that it costs £10 for a 12 year old to attend?!

Your point hasn’t been debated about junior pricing if indeed it is £10 for a 12 year old to attend, that’s way too much and discouraging the next generation to fall in love with the sport, many simply won’t come as parents won’t be able to afford it. I have 3 kids who come to Somerset with me most weeks (2 are aged over 12) and if it was £10 per 12 year old, I simply couldn’t justify bringing them and would then have to justify attending myself, as we attend as a family and it simply wouldn’t be the same on my own without them. £10 for a student who can potentially earn some money - maybe at a push - but a tenner for a 12 year old sorry that’s simply not viable for most families and is short sighted by promoters. It will hurt them in the long run as a generation will be lost to the sport.

Like most of you out there we were hooked as kids!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solidmango said:

Could easily be £100k between staff costs, the large screen purchase and the track work that was completed. 

What about the other 3 years ?  The statement said 6 figure losses since the new owners took over!

4 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

What about the other 3 years ?  The statement said 6 figure losses since the new owners took over!

It was six figure losses every year since they took over I believe they said

Edit. Not sure if that's what you meant, and were actually asking about the other years

Edited by Marksman

55 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I dont know how much they pay the riders but going by some on here it is too much. Rider cost was only part of the problem though,  staff wages in other areas have been cited , factor in upgrades to stadium area, track , advertising and it all mounts up.

The same observation can be made about your own team and i am not having a go at Edinburgh here ,they also made similar noises two seasons ago hence the fans fighting fund.

Same thing as ourselves except the owners are picking up the loss and not the fan fund.

I do see were you are coming from though and it is just not a Glasgow problem, but we don't help ourselves with the statement released and then allegedly offer big wages , if indeed we have it is only conjecture.

Agree but we’re in a different stratosphere in terms of losses. 

I get that speedway is run on a shoestring and promoters deserve a hell of a lot of credit for sticking with it but clubs need to cut their cloth.

The point being made about riders thinking they have a right to remain professional in a struggling sport is also a valid one. 

Edited by JanAndersen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Agree but we’re in a different stratosphere in terms of losses. 

I get that speedway is run on a shoestring and promoters deserve a hell of a lot of credit for sticking with it but clubs need to cut their cloth.

The point being made about riders thinking they have a right to remain professional in a struggling sport I’d also a valid one. 

Can't disagree with any of that , if you struggle to make profit or even break even then you need to save in controllable cost.

Or go against the grain in Speedway and increase income.

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

Can't disagree with any of that , if you struggle to make profit or even break even then you need to save in controllable cost.

Or go against the grain in Speedway and increase income.

Its difficult to see where the sport is going in term of finance,as it doesn’t seem much has been addressed and there is no way that crowd levels will dramatically increase in the sport by charging to much for children and families.Kids have to go free to inticed the fans of the future and hope some stick with it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Its difficult to see where the sport is going in term of finance,as it doesn’t seem much has been addressed and there is no way that crowd levels will dramatically increase in the sport by charging to much for children and families.Kids have to go free to inticed the fans of the future and hope some stick with it.

Under 12s do go free at Glasgow.

28 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Under 12s do go free at Glasgow.

That’s good then,though I read in an earlier post that they didn’t.:t:

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

That’s good then,though I read in an earlier post that they didn’t.:t:

12 - 16 year olds pay £10 under 12s have alway's been free.

5 hours ago, Gazc said:

5 hours ago, Gazc said:

Way too much..

As they become teenagers often their interests wains and 'other' things take over their lives...

And paying nothing for a kid, for say five years or so, till they reach eleven, then feels a huge leap to paying a tenner when they are twelve..

Thats an extra £40 a month to find, then add on the usual food and drink they consume and you have circa £80 a month extra to pay out..

That will reduce visits for many families I would suggest...

It really is a false economy as I am sure many more adults with teenagers would go more regularly if it was free...

Better to get £20 twenty times a season than £30 four or five..

And the more visits will hopefully sustain their interest into adulthood..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1