British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

Luke Chessell has not rode for 2 years he now is in Glasgows team, they must be desperate, maybe having all the money in Speedway can't always get the riders they want. lets be honest Luke and Joe would not have been their first choices, these are names that would be at the bottom of the list of 2 point riders that nobody else wanted. 

Craig Cook is the issue in this team, his average is way too high for the Championship on a 38 point limit, most likely the deal was done before the AGM as otherwise why would you take him on. i would have thought Cook would want to concentrate on the big league speedway like in Poland and Sweden, maybe he has no ambition or simply he is getting paid a lot of money from the club but  Glasgow keep saying they are losing money so who knows 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cupidstunt said:

Luke Chessell has not rode for 2 years he now is in Glasgows team, they must be desperate, maybe having all the money in Speedway can't always get the riders they want. lets be honest Luke and Joe would not have been their first choices, these are names that would be at the bottom of the list of 2 point riders that nobody else wanted. 

Craig Cook is the issue in this team, his average is way too high for the Championship on a 38 point limit, most likely the deal was done before the AGM as otherwise why would you take him on. i would have thought Cook would want to concentrate on the big league speedway like in Poland and Sweden, maybe he has no ambition or simply he is getting paid a lot of money from the club but  Glasgow keep saying they are losing money so who knows 

Cook knows he is at his limit,he doesn’t want to throw all his money at something that is beyond him IMO.His Polish league form wasn’t great considering it was 2 nd tier.If you don’t perform over there your dropped ,not like here.His pal Dan guzumpted him last year at Rybnik.

Reading his FB interview Luke Chessel said it took him 6 hours to get up to Glasgow, that’s a hell of a long way to bring a 2 pointer, though I believe Jack Thomas was even more?

as you said I can’t see our reserves being our first choice to fill 6/7 positions.   Looking at the side so far maybe we are cutting down on costs to riders ( Cook aside )  or couldn’t we attract the Flint, Bickley and Kemp’s that’s required when you go top heavy?

Regardless I still can’t wait until March when the tapes go up .

There will always be riders who step down during the season as they find the going to tough, i suspect Chessell will be early favourite to be first.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

Reading his FB interview Luke Chessel said it took him 6 hours to get up to Glasgow, that’s a hell of a long way to bring a 2 pointer, though I believe Jack Thomas was even more?

as you said I can’t see our reserves being our first choice to fill 6/7 positions.   Looking at the side so far maybe we are cutting down on costs to riders ( Cook aside )  or couldn’t we attract the Flint, Bickley and Kemp’s that’s required when you go top heavy?

Unless he could not agree terms or there has been a fall- out its seems strange not to bring Jack back after pereseving with him last season,he showed promise and surely they had an idea of league structure being weakened,he should have been the 1 st name on the Teamsheet IMO 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Unless he could not agree terms or there has been a fall- out its seems strange not to bring Jack back after pereseving with him last season,he showed promise and surely they had an idea of league structure being weakened,he should have been the 1 st name on the Teamsheet IMO 

Both rider and club would have benefitted from his return. However its 2 hours to Leicester or 8 hours to Glasgow.

1 minute ago, MD said:

Both rider and club would have benefitted from his return. However its 2 hours to Leicester or 8 hours to Glasgow.

Travelling was not an issue last year though,he improved a lot ,seemed to like the track.Like I said I don’t know if he turned them down or wasn’t considered.

47 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

There will always be riders who step down during the season as they find the going to tough, i suspect Chessell will be early favourite to be first.

Which will require the team to be restructured to fix.

15 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Travelling was not an issue last year though,he improved a lot ,seemed to like the track.Like I said I don’t know if he turned them down or wasn’t considered.

Jack had said himself it was down to the travelling that made his mind up not to return.

• Like 2

They tried for a lot of top nl riders for  reserves but they did not want to travel up here on a Friday some dew to parents working and others that would be riding way down south over the weekend  and too much traveling if it was Saturday or Sunday the first few they asked would have jumped at the chance and just think jack was fed up with the traveling and why travel another 6 hours for extra £5-10 a point luke has always done well when he guested for us and will be ok against the other 2 point riders and think Joe will be a lot better than folk make out if his equipment is up to scratch 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MANSE said:

Sure I read a post earlier it was proposed to be 6 man teams built to 36 at pre meetings to the AGM but at the AGM certain teams decided to vote against  it.Looking at certain teams who have two 2 point reserves had more or less had their team sorted and their only option was another 2 point rider 

Having read the SS about some teams wanting a 40 limit probably pre AGM then voted on a 38 limit some teams might have been sorted. Some teams were then changed to allow for this to happen.

33 minutes ago, mac101 said:

They tried for a lot of top nl riders for  reserves but they did not want to travel up here on a Friday some dew to parents working and others that would be riding way down south over the weekend  and too much traveling if it was Saturday or Sunday the first few they asked would have jumped at the chance and just think jack was fed up with the traveling and why travel another 6 hours for extra £5-10 a point luke has always done well when he guested for us and will be ok against the other 2 point riders and think Joe will be a lot better than folk make out if his equipment is up to scratch 

The first few they tried?  How many did we try to get before we went for Lawlor and Chessel!!!   Well at least we can’t be accused of offering silly money to get the top NL riders as many on here have spouted.

2 hours ago, Tigerforever said:

someone had better tell Glasgow the season starts in April in 2019 .

38 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

The first few they tried?  How many did we try to get before we went for Lawlor and Chessel!!!   Well at least we can’t be accused of offering silly money to get the top NL riders as many on here have spouted.

Well you could’ve they could’ve just decided against it

I saw Joe Lawlor's post on Facebook about not having a NL team for next season, he won't be the only one forced out of NL racing on the numbers game.

I don't know how some of these lads are going to get better riding in just the championship, they need time on the bike. Not scoring many points and being off the pace isn't going to bode well for their confidence and could well force some riders away from the sport.

• Like 1