British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

Pretty sure when you set a smoke alarm  off in a state of the  art hotel it can be pin pointed to the excact room where it happens and when the other rider in the room doesn't smoke pretty sure they can work it out without Sherlock Holmes 

Not quite sure that`s the question being asked, in the article in this weeks Speedway Star Peter Faceena is quoted as saying "I was awoken at 00:37 by a call from one of our riders" that Joe Lawlor had set off the fire alarms and had been arguing with the hotel staff. So the question is who`s the sniche.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

Not quite sure that`s the question being asked, in the article in this weeks Speedway Star Peter Faceena is quoted as saying "I was awoken at 00:37 by a call from one of our riders" that Joe Lawlor had set off the fire alarms and had been arguing with the hotel staff. So the question is who`s the sniche.

Hardly  a sniche ,I’m sure the Hotel manager would gave Faceena a “wee call” later.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Hello George obviously missed me I know you have a soft spot for me. 

Anyway silly boy ruining his chances by being a dafty by the sounds of it. As others have said if it was cook for example would he have been dropped probably not. Doing what he done gave them a perfect opportunity to get Bickley in now rather than say 1/2 months down the line. 

I’m sure Cook it whoever else would have had the good sense to apologise the next morning and not force the club to sack them. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m sure Cook it whoever else would have had the good sense to apologise the next morning and not force the club to sack them. 

Or maybe even pop outside if he/they want a puff or vape 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Or maybe even pop outside if he/they want a puff or vape 

So in reality he's been excluded for a vapes infringement 

• Haha 8

Wish I could like that more than once Gregory, clever. :rofl:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think you're dead right.

Question remains, though, would Cook have been treated the same had he behaved the same way ?

We are being told that club policy would be identical regardless of who it was. That means booting out your top rider - and the top rider in the league - a few weeks before the start of the season would have led to no more hesitation or consideration  than sacking a junior rider in the full knowledge that a better replacement had been banging on your door for weeks before hand.

If there are those of us within the speedway world that find that hard to accept its scarcely surprising. 

I should say that I think Lawlor got the punishment he deserved - based upon the club's statement - and that any other clubs supporters gloating here have no place to. In the same circumstances, they'd be no different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I think you're dead right.

Question remains, though, would Cook have been treated the same had he behaved the same way ?

We are being told that club policy would be identical regardless of who it was. That means booting out your top rider - and the top rider in the league - a few weeks before the start of the season would have led to no more hesitation or consideration  than sacking a junior rider in the full knowledge that a better replacement had been banging on your door for weeks before hand.

If there are those of us within the speedway world that find that hard to accept its scarcely surprising. 

I should say that I think Lawlor got the punishment he deserved - based upon the club's statement - and that any other clubs supporters gloating here have no place to. In the same circumstances, they'd be no different. 

Why does the question remain? There is no question, as Craig Cook has done nothing. It's all hypothetical. Based on hypotheses, you can ask any question you like, but it has no relevance. Time to move on.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Why does the question remain? There is no question, as Craig Cook has done nothing. It's all hypothetical. Based on hypotheses, you can ask any question you like, but it has no relevance. Time to move on.

Agree, each case is different , Cook has matured from years ago, all hypothetical .

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, Tsunami said:

The SS can include amendments or news items as long as it is received on Tuesday Morning..

Clears that paticular conspiracy theory up , now on to the next one ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Clears that paticular conspiracy theory up , now on to the next one ;).

Perhaps a deluded Workington fan heartbroken that they wouldn't be able to see Kyle riding this year conned Joe into vaping knowing that the repercussions - breaking team code of conduct, apparently abusing hotel manager and fire crew, causing hassle for those staying at the hotel, embarrassing Tigers management in front of sponsors/potential sponsors - would result in his dismissal. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, screm said:

Me I grassed everyone I even grassed Craig Cook for potentially thinking about shouting Good Morning Vietnam at 3am out his room window, I could tell he was thinking about doing it earlier in the evening.

I even grassed Claus to the haircut Police for having such a stupid haircut.

That should just about cover the snitching for one day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Perhaps a deluded Workington fan heartbroken that they wouldn't be able to see Kyle riding this year conned Joe into vaping knowing that the repercussions - breaking team code of conduct, apparently abusing hotel manager and fire crew, causing hassle for those staying at the hotel, embarrassing Tigers management in front of sponsors/potential sponsors - would result in his dismissal. 

Maybe they got young Joe drunk aswell, just to see what happened ?

22 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Honestly

All joking and winding up apart... the wounds are deep and still healing and this just added salt to them...

However what I will say is in young Kyle Glasgow have picked up a rider with fantastic potential... personality I think he would have been Worky's secret weapon this season and as a prediction I honestly believe he will end up with an average nearer 7 than 5... despite what some have said on here...

I also think that with this signing Glasgow have gone from a solid mid table side to stitched on play off candidates that's how much I rate this kid... he will be to Glasgow what Steve Worrall was to Edinburgh a few years back when Stevie joined them as a 3 point reserve.. Kyle will be the game changer Glasgow needed to push them on to success...

He has fantastic support from his family... top notch equipment; is eager to learn and has a fantastic work ethic... a well rounded and pleasant kid who his family can be proud of... Glasgow will see something special this year and be able to watch him develope... I couldn't big the kid up enough... or be more happy for him and jealous of Glasgow...

On a slightly different tangent here is another prediction that by 2027 his little kid sister wins The Voice or something similar cos what a great laal singer she is... if you have an end of season function get her up to sing a song you will be amazed...

Good luck to Kyle and Glasgow for the coming season let's hope it's a sucessfull one...

Oh and that the Glasgow Grave Robbers can finally turn into the Glasgow Gloaters and out smug their Saltire waving brethren along the road...

Well I couldn't end without a pop could I... let's face it people might think I was going soft in my dotage and MANCE  GazC and the other TOGS would not have the opportunity to put a sad face response on would they.. got to play to the masses...

Finally just to confirm Kyles Dad is definitely fatter tham me... definitelty... ain't that right fatty (private joke)

Honestly looking forward to seeing how Kyle gets on and where Glasgow end up (or should I say pseudo Workington) as it will be a very interesting season I believe for many and varied reasons...

Good luck Glasgow and keep the satire burning... thats satire not saltire as to say the least there are some with poor reading skills on here thats for sure... 

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like THJ has stated the wounds of no Worky speedway do indeed run deep.

I don't believe that the huge majority of Comets fans bear Glasgow any malice whatsoever. Your fans are arguably the best and most welcoming in speedway and I always looked forward to seeing you all at Derwent Park and my visits to Ashfield.

The fact is, last years apparent unmanageable debt coupled with the non forthcoming offers of help have resulted in the loss of Workington Speedway which for a lot of Comets fans is akin to losing someone close.

The term 'speedway family' is often mooted on here but in my opinion there is no great evidence of this. Speedway is in trouble and there is no better time than now for clubs to work together in order to help each other survive. I'm not advocating repetetive assistance for clubs who have repeatedly demonstrated poor financial management but last season the Comets were very much victims of circumstance the results of which are plain to see.

Laura came to the assistance of the Monarchs in their hour of need but where are the offers of help from the speedway family to help Worky to get back on their feet ?. The loss of the Comets and their travelling fans will be felt by the northern clubs especially the likes of Newcastle, Redcar and Berwick who will lose the income generated by the travelling Comets fans, which is unlikely to be replaced by the numbers travelling from the likes of Eastbourne, Somerset and Birmingham.

The potential is there for clubs and riders to come together to help in whatever ways possible to ensure that clubs such as the Comets are not lost forever due being tipped over the cliff edge following a crippling season. Speedway family ? nah everyone just looks after themselves and herein lies the problem.

• Like 6