British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

Tonights testimonial was incredible to watch, thoroughly enjoyed all racing, some of the young lads did awesome as well. 

However, there seems to be concern among fans in regards to Luke Chessell, yes we can't judge much because it is only early days, but with him in tonights meeting struggling against the likes of Ryan Macdonald and Corban Pavitt do we really see this lad progressing, or does he need another year in the national league to get his confidence back. The way he was looking down at his bike tonight as well could suggest maybe machine problems are playing a part. 

Really nice bloke and his hearts in the right place so I'm only asking this out of curiosity, not to try and slate him whatsoever. You can tell he wants to ride for Glasgow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kermitfrog said:

Tonights testimonial was incredible to watch, thoroughly enjoyed all racing, some of the young lads did awesome as well. 

However, there seems to be concern among fans in regards to Luke Chessell, yes we can't judge much because it is only early days, but with him in tonights meeting struggling against the likes of Ryan Macdonald and Corban Pavitt do we really see this lad progressing, or does he need another year in the national league to get his confidence back. The way he was looking down at his bike tonight as well could suggest maybe machine problems are playing a part. 

Really nice bloke and his hearts in the right place so I'm only asking this out of curiosity, not to try and slate him whatsoever. You can tell he wants to ride for Glasgow. 

He may have underestimated how the serious injury has affected him, the problem with Speedway is if you are not 100% committed you will most likely get another injury as is often the case.

Think Luke will know himself that he is doing nobody in favours especially to himself, nice lad but I can't see anything improving anytime soon.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gazc said:

He may have underestimated how the serious injury has affected him, the problem with Speedway is if you are not 100% committed you will most likely get another injury as is often the case.

Think Luke will know himself that he is doing nobody in favours especially to himself, nice lad but I can't see anything improving anytime soon.

Having two 2 pointers was the trade off to get Cook in the team, unfortunately. Problem is i dont see anyone on that average who is available or any better. LC needs a year in the NL to build his confidence then work out if he wants to step up to the CL.

50 minutes ago, MD said:

Having two 2 pointers was the trade off to get Cook in the team, unfortunately. Problem is i dont see anyone on that average who is available or any better. LC needs a year in the NL to build his confidence then work out if he wants to step up to the CL.

Chessell has probably been at his level prior to his recent period out of the sport. Would be surprised if he gets back to that, let alone becomes a Championship level rider. 

Glasgow may not be able to find a rider who scores more for them now but there are plenty out there who have more potential in the long run. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MD said:

Lowering the points limit didn't exactly help matters, all it has done is water the product down even more meaning teams are introducing young riders or in Luke's case an injured rider returning who are not ready for this level.

They are given team places based on average rather than ability , it will do more harm than good in the long run.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Chessell has probably been at his level prior to his recent period out of the sport. Would be surprised if he gets back to that, let alone becomes a Championship level rider. 

Glasgow may not be able to find a rider who scores more for them now but there are plenty out there who have more potential in the long run. 

I'm not one for condoning knee jerk reactions and would normally give riders plenty of time to settle, but after seeing Luke in the first meeting it was obvious he is not ready for this league..........but I thought to myself "who could we replace him with?"  After last night's performance my question was answered.......ANYONE.   He looked totally uncomfortable on the bike and was really riding like a total novice at some points showing little or no confidence.  I really feel sorry for him but it's obvious he needs more time on the bike without the pressures of being in this league. It will only worsen his confidence if he remains. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

Very poor at Belle Vue on Friday. If he's not cutting it in the NL, he has no chance at Championship level. 

37 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

I'm not one for condoning knee jerk reactions and would normally give riders plenty of time to settle, but after seeing Luke in the first meeting it was obvious he is not ready for this league..........but I thought to myself "who could we replace him with?"  After last night's performance my question was answered.......ANYONE.   He looked totally uncomfortable on the bike and was really riding like a total novice at some points showing little or no confidence.  I really feel sorry for him but it's obvious he needs more time on the bike without the pressures of being in this league. It will only worsen his confidence if he remains. 

I totally agree and confidence is so important. Look at Ryan MacDonald, he can obviously ride a bike and last night when he did make the gate, possibly for the first time ever, he beat the impressive Jordan Palin (and Luke) in a time similar to all the other junior heat winning times but in the other races he was tentative going into the 1st bend. The thing is the management are in a difficult position you can imagine the comments from the tigers haters if Luke was replaced. 

13 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

I totally agree and confidence is so important. Look at Ryan MacDonald, he can obviously ride a bike and last night when he did make the gate, possibly for the first time ever, he beat the impressive Jordan Palin (and Luke) in a time similar to all the other junior heat winning times but in the other races he was tentative going into the 1st bend. The thing is the management are in a difficult position you can imagine the comments from the tigers haters if Luke was replaced. 

Thing is they will hate whatever we do so it won't make any difference.

Take it as a backhanded compliment, I am glad we get under there skin there pain is a joy to behold. 

Only seen Chessell in one meeting when Glasgow were at Berwick last weekend, sadly for rider and club Chessell looked woeful and completely out of his depth. Either things need to improve quickly or Glasgow will have a decision to make.

Never nice when a rider is held back due to injury. I wasn't convinced by the signing based upon his previous form as he had a tendency to slide off a lot and really dislike riders who retire then return a few months later. Sounds like he is far below the level he was at previously and loyalties or not riders looking awkward and getting beaten by NL level reserves don't deserve a team place. If you want that level of performance in the side then run with a potential developer rather than a never been.

• Like 1

Quite surprised that they didn’t try to keep Jack Thomas after using him all last season, who has potential Imo.Dont know the circumstances though.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Quite surprised that they didn’t try to keep Jack Thomas after using him all last season, who has potential Imo.Dont know the circumstances though.

Not sure where Thomas is based, probably closer to Leicester than Glasgow. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a factor. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Not sure where Thomas is based, probably closer to Leicester than Glasgow. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a factor. 

Norwich? Certainly East Anglia anyway. I believe Jack loved his time with Glasgow but the travelling just took its toll in the end. Can most likely travel to Leicester and home again in the time it took home to get to Scotland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Jack indicated he would like to cut down on his travelling due to his day job.

• Like 1