British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Zach ????

Please ignore Zagar Racing. The guy picks names and clubs out of a hat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, therefused said:

Please ignore Zagar Racing. The guy picks names and clubs out of a hat. 

Having signed Rasmus Jensen i did wonder why no official announcement had been made by Swindon

19 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Was that not an  Ian thomas trick on john berry at hull?

I heard the story as Thomas was questioned about the width of his track, and he held the end with a bit rolled up in his hand, whilst the REF or the SCG offcial read off the other end, which showed the track was OK for width. Which it wasn't apparently.

• Haha 1

Superb effort tonight to get the track sorted for the GP Qualifier. The less experienced riders took time to get things sorted but Nicol, Moi and Smetana were good value after their first few heats. Cook was imperious on his home track but Berge, Thorsell and Tungate were pretty awful, puts the alleged Premiership into perspective. The only downside being Harris made it through the French qualifier apparently. #wtf

Edited by MD
  • Like 1

A few people were commenting on a hole on the third bend. Is that back?

54 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Yip, on the entrance to 3rd bend 

54 minutes ago, Lioness said:

On 5/29/2019 at 4:21 PM, Tsunami said:

I heard the story as Thomas was questioned about the width of his track, and he held the end with a bit rolled up in his hand, whilst the REF or the SCG offcial read off the other end, which showed the track was OK for width. Which it wasn't apparently.

I think Ian Thomas' own tape measure was used at the initial SCB track inspection at Hull, Boulevard in 1971 by Bill KIichen.  The area of interest would have been the back straight which did appear a tad narrow by about a foot, apparently.  When John Berry & his 'tape measure crew' went to work at Hull (v Ipswich) in 1977, which also included investigating the height of the tapes & safety fence, he may well have been helpfully provided with Thomas' own trusty tape measure.   Further, it could be argued that Thomas' objections in regard to the Paisley circuit (v Newcastle) and alledged width issues were possibly a bit rich, all things considered, though somehow he managed to have the home promotion forced into immediately widening the track.  During the actual meeting :o.  No doubt St Mirren FC queried this unexpected narrowing of their pitch afterwards.  Still, it was all good fun I'm sure :D....

Edited by martinmauger
added crucial info
  • Thanks 1

Guest Loose Diamond
On 5/29/2019 at 4:21 PM, Tsunami said:

It was too narrow. I was there.

Following on from the success of the GP qualifier its just a pity we don't have a home team match this weekend. Hope the kids get a good turn out. Who is the next kyle Bickley or Tom brennan or Leon flint all of whom appeared in similar matches in recent years. 

To clarify: Ian Thomas comfirmed in his excellent book Wheels And Deals that he cut foot off the end of his tape measure at track inspection time in 1971.  John Berry used his own tape measure to confirm the width of Hull's track in 1977, confirmed in his equally excellent book Confessions Of A Speedway Promoter.  Berry was the only promoter to call Thomas out on Hull's track width issues.  And despite Neil McFarlane's 'up the sleeve tape measure illusion', Paisley were still forced to widen their circuit, there are pics of this unexpected pre-meeting track work in Speedway Express.  Fun times.  Yeah the sport needs more Ian Thomas, John Berry & Neil Mcfarlane type of promoters, proof: 40-odd years later we are still discussing sadly long closed circuits being a foot or under the required width.  So, Glasgow 2019 onwards then - a club defo promoting themselves....

Edited by martinmauger
added crucial track width info 3x

15 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Yeah the sport needs more Ian Thomas, John Berry & Neil Mcfarlane type of promoters, proof: 40-odd years later we are still discussing sadly long closed circuits being a foot or under the required width.  

Yeah the irony is that when promoters cheated, riders took bribes and illegally used nitro we had big crowds. Can't help wondering how things would have panned out if we had had social media in those days. Throw in the fact that narrow tracks produced poor racing and then we wonder where it all went wrong. 

• Like 2

It is always said that narrow tracks produce poor racing but Romford was probably the narrowest I have seen and always remember it as entertaining racing. Maybe my rose tinted glasses are working for once! 

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

It is always said that narrow tracks produce poor racing but Romford was probably the narrowest I have seen and always remember it as entertaining racing. Maybe my rose tinted glasses are working for once! 

I don't think it was the track but those screwballs at that time that made it exciting, Des Lukehurst creating sparks off the safety fence/wall passing on the outside, Brian Davies putting tyre marks up the wall and Phil Woodcock clattering everybody on the way into the turns. Ross Gilbertson was a brilliant trapper and when clean away racked up the points and an absolute gentleman with it, Charlie Benham brought so much fun to an evening watching him trying to get round the place and to Pete, Wally and Maurice this was one of their best Golden Goose projects they pulled off. Trackstaff in dog stadiums spent hours cleaning up after the dogs at Romford it was the real human stuff that prevailed, with a bit of banking it could have been Exeter !