British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

judging by reception at CLRC about 80% of CL supporters agree...Cook is NOT very popular..

So is that c1000 people 

My wife always tells me I am not very popular with her, and I sleep like a log.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

So is that c1000 people 

probably nearer 1500 but as opinion polls go ask You Gov that would be very good sample.

Cook does himself no favours with behaviour like that day and at Wolverhampton (where I was) on Monday.

At least KL management had sense to get him withdrawn from meeting b4 he damaged himself or someone else.

Cook needs to be signed off permanently until he can sort himself out with proper help and support as Dale Allitt so wisely said in SStar last week.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HGould said:

probably nearer 1500 but as opinion polls go ask You Gov that would be very good sample.

Cook does himself no favours with behaviour like that day and at Wolverhampton (where I was) on Monday.

At least KL management had sense to get him withdrawn from meeting b4 he damaged himself or someone else.

Cook needs to be signed off permanently until he can sort himself out with proper help and support as Dale Allitt so wisely said in SStar last week.

Can agree with that, it all seems to be going wrong at the moment, he needs to try and save what he’s got, start again next year

For the amount of posters on here the percentage of  people with a Phd in human  psychology must be a good bit higher than the national average.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Oh there we go, I say I hope he gets a deserved ban for assaulting a volunteer and hope that he’s not able to come straight back in to a play off final and you hope a club closes down, did you say the same about Workington last year big man?? Does it make you feel hard?

You also said you hoped Glasgow would be knocked out of the play offs. As for Cook`s appeal you would think it would be to everyone satisfaction that this gets sorted sooner rather than later for club and rider.

• Like 3

No-one at Berwick should want Glasgow out the play-offs - just want Berwick in to join them.    Then we might get a re-run of Saturday night! 

35 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

No-one at Berwick should want Glasgow out the play-offs - just want Berwick in to join them.    Then we might get a re-run of Saturday night! 

It must make all kinds of sense for Glasgow to want Berwick in the play offs, financially if for none other.

4 hours ago, screm said:

You also said you hoped Glasgow would be knocked out of the play offs. As for Cook`s appeal you would think it would be to everyone satisfaction that this gets sorted sooner rather than later for club and rider.

Losing an aggregate tie is a bit different to a club closing down, joking or not, for recent examples ask Workington fans and Bury FC fans, I doubt they see a lot funny about it, maybe I was harsh to say that about Glasgow but Craig clearly has stuff going on atm, the gap was never there going into that narrow first corner at Berwick yet he wen’t for it anyways, that’s after the CRC fiasco, the following night withdrawing at Wolverhampton and the speedway star interview as well

• Like 1

Jye Etheridge's take on the matter - from his Facebook page. Mind you what would he know about what went on compared to those on the BSF "IN the know" ?

"... obviously it ended in a dramatic heat 15 race with me and Craig and we are good mates their was contact going into the first turn and with the shape of Berwick and how tight it is their was no way I could have stayed on and craig did apologise after the meeting, I hope this puts all the speedway fans to sleep easier that know how to ride faster then us and think I just jumped off the bike going into the turn to get Cook excluded from the re run."

So to paraphrase a racer tried to race, desperate to get his team the point which may be vital come the end of the season; it went wrong, he knocked someone off, got excluded, stayed out of trouble, was waiting to talk to the other rider at the pits gate, at some point apologised. What sort of example was that to youngsters who may have been watching?

Little bit harsh for Jye to be advocating that speedway fans should be put to sleep ... but quite mild compared to some of the punishment being called for against Cookie by some.

... now the Glasgow team manager - he might want to take a look at himself

29 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Jye Etheridge's take on the matter - from his Facebook page. Mind you what would he know about what went on compared to those on the BSF "IN the know" ?

"... obviously it ended in a dramatic heat 15 race with me and Craig and we are good mates their was contact going into the first turn and with the shape of Berwick and how tight it is their was no way I could have stayed on and craig did apologise after the meeting, I hope this puts all the speedway fans to sleep easier that know how to ride faster then us and think I just jumped off the bike going into the turn to get Cook excluded from the re run."

So to paraphrase a racer tried to race, desperate to get his team the point which may be vital come the end of the season; it went wrong, he knocked someone off, got excluded, stayed out of trouble, was waiting to talk to the other rider at the pits gate, at some point apologised. What sort of example was that to youngsters who may have been watching?

Little bit harsh for Jye to be advocating that speedway fans should be put to sleep ... but quite mild compared to some of the punishment being called for against Cookie by some.

That won't suit the narrative on here , including a Berwick fan.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

By explaining the crash/apology he was hoping that fans could sleep easier.

To be honest I can't see what all the fuss was about. Craig Cook went for a gap, he's a racer, it's probably instinct. The gap closed, there was contact, Jye was brought down, Cook was excluded. All the bravado that followed was good theatre, but it amounted to a great deal of not much. The crowd got wound up and it just added to what was already a great atmosphere. Cook apologised, the riders probably talked it through and the world goes on turning. He may have had hid troubles lately but I can't see hiw the race on Saturday night had anything to do with that. He wanted to win the race and saw an opportunity to do so.

Brilliant meeting, the crowd got something to talk about and speedway for me was the winner. I would love if every meeting had the atmosphere Saturday night had. A big crowd, fans giving each other friendly banter and making a load of noise. It was great to be a part of. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, topsoil said:

To be honest I can't see what all the fuss was about. Craig Cook went for a gap, he's a racer, it's probably instinct. The gap closed, there was contact, Jye was brought down, Cook was excluded. All the bravado that followed was good theatre, but it amounted to a great deal of not much. The crowd got wound up and it just added to what was already a great atmosphere. Cook apologised, the riders probably talked it through and the world goes on turning. He may have had hid troubles lately but I can't see hiw the race on Saturday night had anything to do with that. He wanted to win the race and saw an opportunity to do so.

Brilliant meeting, the crowd got something to talk about and speedway for me was the winner. I would love if every meeting had the atmosphere Saturday night had. A big crowd, fans giving each other friendly banter and making a load of noise. It was great to be a part of. 

Totally agree!  It was a brilliant atmosphere and the banter between all sets of fans was immense.  Having been to Berwick a couple of times this season I left a little bit unimpressed with the gate and go racing , but saying that Saturday night was a whole different kettle of fish. With regards to comments being made towards Craig cook on various threads it seems that there is a lot of haters out there, if it had been another rider in heat 15 or 30 , I don't think people would be debating or not as much. Craig is a talent and he is the top rider in the championship by a country mile so it is easy to make him out the villain, let' be honest if he did not ride for Glasgow is their seriously any fan who would not want him in their team. On Saturday night speedway was the winner and I for one would gladly pay £30 every week to be entertained like that.  Well done Berwick speedway.!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Tigeratheart said:

Totally agree!  It was a brilliant atmosphere and the banter between all sets of fans was immense.  Having been to Berwick a couple of times this season I left a little bit unimpressed with the gate and go racing , but saying that Saturday night was a whole different kettle of fish. With regards to comments being made towards Craig cook on various threads it seems that there is a lot of haters out there, if it had been another rider in heat 15 or 30 , I don't think people would be debating or not as much. Craig is a talent and he is the top rider in the championship by a country mile so it is easy to make him out the villain, let' be honest if he did not ride for Glasgow is their seriously any fan who would not want him in their team. On Saturday night speedway was the winner and I for one would gladly pay £30 every week to be entertained like that.  Well done Berwick speedway.!

Craig Cook should take it as a compliment. Lets face it, all the sportsmen fans "love to hate" is basically because they are successful and a threat to their own team. How many mediocre sportsmen fit into the "love to hate" group? Craig Cook is probably the best rider in the league, the average shows it and as such every rider will see him as a scalp, that's probably why a lot of riders go daft when they beat him, they see it as a major scalp. Personally I love to see him at Berwick (and I would reckon most fans are the same, they boo him, but love to see him race), because he is bloody good. I also like to see him miss the gate, because you know there is going to be some great racing. I've seen fantastic races with him there in the past, Bellego, Doolan and Jye in heat 11 on Saturday.

• Like 4