British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

Sadly speedway in this country is entering last chance saloon - the AGM needs to preform a miracle to turn things around we need radical ideas forward thinking and cost saving ideas - the sad thing about for me it didn’t have to be like this . 

:blink: Well that might just bring a few of the "Smug" tiger fans back down to earth with a bang !! Seems the "Treble Champions " aren't the only team with financial struggles. After all the comments on Glasgow-Workington Semi Final thread, from certain posters , a lot of sarcastic comments about the Comets running again, seems  2019 is make or break for Glasgow too.

Edited by Taylorj
  • Like 2

thats not great news for all that attend speedway meetings. .. not good times for everyone .

• Like 1

They were very green when they entered the sport, I remember Brian Havelock saying that he didn't blame Summers for leaving Redcar, after he'd seen what they were offering. He then proceeded to screw them for a fat transfer fee. They've since gone on to sign a succession of big name milkers. It is alarming though, especially when you compare their crowd levels against some others. Time for radical action but it doesn't look like there'll be any (so far).

• Like 1

just wondering if allied vehicles are in any way connected to allied home care that is on its way out or is it just a case of having a similar name on the  mobility  side  ?

hope its not ....

At the end of the day no matter what they spend its still trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear, they stated  in their first season they were after crowds of 4000 to make it pay having been a few times i cant see where u can put 4000 in  comfort its just not big enough.

• Like 2

i have always been a huge fan of what the promotion has done at Glasgow,i fine job indeed,  they have always been rumoured to be be the strongest payers in the the league and will pay what they need to pay and more to get the 7 riders they want  that i always respect and have no problem with,its good

always a strong team and is one fixture i always look for at the start of the season,  another good thing

but.....to turn around and say they need to look at at operational cost well that seems to be of their own making,and only they can address it

• Like 7

It has knock on effect to all other teams aswell 

Riders know who's paying more than other clubs and in turn they expect more from the other teams who just can't dig deep in there own pockets or find sponsors who will top up riders payments 

• Like 2

You can only admire the time and effort the Glasgow Promotion put in to show speedway in good light,but unfortunately the sport is in dire straits in GB, and anybody who thinks differently is deluding themselves.There crowd levels were better than in their recent seasons but trying to improve them to levels mentioned will just about be impossible.As long as they can make the speedway pay for itself was all they would like.

• Like 1

6 figure losses every season - crikey.

Not gonna be dragged kicking and screaming into the highest league  in the land then.

A blow to the BSPA head honchos?

Its an honest statement and not really a surprise. We have paid the price for some poor rider choices at the start of this season and having to bail out the whole thing by signing Cook who wouldnt have come cheaply. That wont account for all the losses however like everyone else we suffered with a sporadic fixture list that frustrated the die hards never mind newbies. 2019 looks to be a goer, though many aspects of speedway are out of our control. Hopefully the AGM comes up with something at least better than this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

:blink: Well that might just bring a few of the "Smug" tiger fans back down to earth with a bang !! Seems the "Treble Champions " aren't the only team with financial struggles. After all the comments on Glasgow-Workington Semi Final thread, from certain posters , a lot of sarcastic comments about the Comets running again, seems  2019 is make or break for Glasgow too.

Not just Glasgow , Workington or whoever 2019 will be make or break for British Speedway in general.

• Like 2

it could be that there are a few more clubs hiding their financial problems from others , inc the bspa etc . 

clubs like my own are struggling to get to the tapes in 2019 . lakeside .newcastle  and a few more  may not enter the league . 

its time to shove ALL  the big lads up a league and not allow them back . time ti stick together , promoter wise and not sign any big names . what do you want to do . sign a big name and see your team go down the pan while the big names milks the lower leagues ?

thses are our clubs . we cant support them any more than what we are already doing. so big names must not be signed . i would rather see a team like workington built last season than see 1 man milk it and still be in a job the following year , while we are stuck with Saturday night tv .

so come on promoters . stop signing the likes of nicholls,cook morris and co and give British speedway a chance . its your choice . use it or lose it .

sorry for hijacking the thread , but it seems to be the correct thread to put it on .J 

long live the tiggers and the cornets !

• Like 9