British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

19 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I do understand your concerns Paulco and indeed Ive said that the change in strengths is one of the reasons Im happy that Ipswich have moved up

Honestly bruv

Paulco needn't worry after spending all weekend and some 100 plus texts sorting a contract out for a rider who finally agreed  a deal on the Saturday night only to renege on the Sunday with a text obviously written out for him by a third party sums up a great deal of what this sport is about.

Glasgow's woes are crocodile tears, I had genuine sympathy for the fans when the promotion put out the press release they did however it was utter "hydraulics" and if this jeopardises my application for my promoters ticket so be it however I am less than impressed with the way things are operating.

I will hold my counsel for the present however there will be more to follow and the truth is stranger than fact or fiction, in fact you couldn't make it up and it actually threatens the existence of a club as a business, honestly...

Regards
THJ

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Paulco said:

They are and they put forward their opinions very well and i do get where they are coming from . 

But i just feel such a drastic cut in the points limit is going to make life difficult for some riders and also short changing the paying public . For a sport that seems permanently on life support , i dont see how watering down the product is the way to achieve an upturn in it's fortunes . 

I hope i'm wrong , but i fear a downturn in the level of performers in our league will eventually have a further negative impact on crowd levels . 

I mean no disrespect to the riders i mention , but are people not more likely to make an effort to go to the track to watch Craig Cook or Nick Morris or Steve and Richie Worrall or Danny King rather than Kevin Doolan or Ludvig Lindgren or Simon Lambert . 

I've no doubt that the admission prices wont reflect the dropping of the level the riders on show , so i have my doubts about dropping to 38 points will help the sport in any way . Yes in the short term it will save promotions money , but long term do we keep watering down and watering down . 

It's going to be a make or break year for league speedway at a few venues . 

I'm not even sure it will save money as the 5 point guys will now be able to ask for more £s per point. They will also score more cause of the lower standard and probably increase their average meaning next year they will be unemployable and the sorry cycle starts again. Can't help thinking that some promoters are still being conned by those in the know. I have heard that some owners believed that 6 man teams had been agreed with a 36 point average and they had started working towards that.  But at the AGM some clubs changed there mind and we end up with 7 man teams and a 38 point average.  This has meant tear up all the deals you had drafted or run with two 2 point men at reserve which would be suicide. Remarkably at least one club seems to have anticipated the 7 man/38 point limit and has signed 4 riders already. No doubt others will start gazumping other clubs in order to now get a team that fits. A nice example of all clubs working together and keeping costs down!

17 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

I'm not even sure it will save money as the 5 point guys will now be able to ask for more £s per point. They will also score more cause of the lower standard and probably increase their average meaning next year they will be unemployable and the sorry cycle starts again. Can't help thinking that some promoters are still being conned by those in the know. I have heard that some owners believed that 6 man teams had been agreed with a 36 point average and they had started working towards that.  But at the AGM some clubs changed there mind and we end up with 7 man teams and a 38 point average.  This has meant tear up all the deals you had drafted or run with two 2 point men at reserve which would be suicide. Remarkably at least one club seems to have anticipated the 7 man/38 point limit and has signed 4 riders already. No doubt others will start gazumping other clubs in order to now get a team that fits. A nice example of all clubs working together and keeping costs down!

Promoters know, it's not agree till it's all agreed. If they move early, and get caught out, so be it, but I find it hard to believe that a team that signs 3 or 4 riders can't refocus and still sign decent riders to make up to 7 instead of 6 riders. 

Always happened, and will always be that way. We lost a top heat leader about 2 years ago after he had done the deal, but within days he was contacted by a rich club with slightly higher terms, but with a great sign-on agreement. We agreed to match the terms, but could not deliver the sign-ons so off he went and lost his place sometime afterwards 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Promoters know, it's not agree till it's all agreed. If they move early, and get caught out, so be it, but I find it hard to believe that a team that signs 3 or 4 riders can't refocus and still sign decent riders to make up to 7 instead of 6 riders. 

Always happened, and will always be that way. We lost a top heat leader about 2 years ago after he had done the deal, but within days he was contacted by a rich club with slightly higher terms, but with a great sign-on agreement. We agreed to match the terms, but could not deliver the sign-ons so off he went and lost his place sometime afterwards 

Well that's ok then and clearly this approach of being caught out by believing what others have said followed by gazumping works. Still think clubs could try and work together and try and keep costs down. Interesting that you could match the terms of the rich club so obviously you must be rich as well Think the whole scenario you mention is a bit rich.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Well that's ok then and clearly this approach of being caught out by believing what others have said followed by gazumping works. Still think clubs could try and work together and try and keep costs down. Interesting that you could match the terms of the rich club so obviously you must be rich as well Think the whole scenario you mention is a bit rich.

Rubbish. Matching the terms, but not affording the expensive add ons does not make the club rich. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Oh you've returned after keeping a low profile  :rolleyes: thanks for the congratulations on winning the """Treble"" this season :rofl::drink:  Glasgow will resume normal service and start throwing cash at riders before too long, and reading between the lines from THJ have already started .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Oh you've returned after keeping a low profile  :rolleyes: thanks for the congratulations on winning the """Treble"" this season :rofl::drink:  Glasgow will resume normal service and start throwing cash at riders before too long, and reading between the lines from THJ have already started .

Start a new thread something along the lines of lets say Glasgow the Satan of Speedway, then we can all pull up a seat get our cargo in and watch it all unfold, I can run a book on it to see who will have the most post counts 

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

And anyway if we throw cash at riders in this weather the wind will blow it away pointless exercise I would say.

But seriously do your lot not worry about what happens at your own Club you talk more about us it is not healthy, I await smarmy reply :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Start a new thread something along the lines of lets say Glasgow the Satan of Speedway, then we can all pull up a seat get our cargo in and watch it all unfold, I can run a book on it to see who will have the most post counts 

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

And anyway if we throw cash at riders in this weather the wind will blow it away pointless exercise I would say.

But seriously do your lot not worry about what happens at your own Club you talk more about us it is not healthy, I await smarmy reply :D

are those odds making me favourite  Gaz  ? 

gotta win this, cant let those pesky cornets win everything in 2018 ! (well almost everything)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

Pot, kettle , Black, that last comment GazC  ....everywhere I am , you follow...every thread I look at you've been there, every comment I make 5 mins later you reply :D now that's unhealthy !!!!

And I'm quite offended I'm not your favourite :P 

Edited by Taylorj
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Well Ive been enjoying a well earned rest  :drink:, not had internet connection, and anyway there has been nothing to talk about recently. Sadly you are wrong, I didn't congratulate you for winning the treble but I will congratulate the riders of Workington who rode extremely well and covered for the sad injury to young Dan. I hope there loyalty to the fans and the club has been suitably rewarded. Despite what you and THJ might think I am totally against cheque book speedway and that's what Ive been trying to say. The old guard suggest one thing prior to the conference and then change there mind at the conference resulting in deals getting torn up cos they move the goal posts - 7 instead of 6 man teams and 38 rather than 36 average. This then results in gazumping as riders with 5 point averages can hold out for more or as ive said on another post in the somerset thread riders can say they've been approached by Glasgow, even if they haven't, and suggest theyve been offered a better deal. The original club then either offers more or the rider accepts what was first offered by saying I've always wanted to stay, I love the track, I love the fans, etc etc.  But feel free to ignore all of this as no doubt youll think I'm having a dig at you and all the others with chips on there shoulders :P  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

Pot, kettle , Black, that last comment GazC  ....everywhere I am , you follow...every thread I look at you've been there, every comment I make 5 mins later you reply :D now that's unhealthy !!!!

And I'm quite offended I'm not your favourite :P 

:D Now now you are flattering yourself slightly well a lot actually , and the only reason were on the same thread is it is usually a Glasgow one.

But your odds will shorten dramatically once you are in full flow.

And i can honestly say i have never been smarmy on here ;).

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

are those odds making me favourite  Gaz  ? 

gotta win this, cant let those pesky cornets win everything in 2018 ! (well almost everything)

There could only be one favourite and your slavering makes you odds on, no need to thank me though.

Edited by Gazc

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

There could only be one favourite and your slavering makes you odds on, no need to thank me though.

since when have i ever thanked you gaz ? lol......

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

Currently

Jenga - 1/2

THJ- Evens

Marksman - Evens

Yourself 2/1

A pointless exercise that’s destroying speedway as we know it, I really wish the wind would blow it away Gaz. 

We ARE worrying about our own club, which is precisely why we are so bothered by the antics of a certain Scottish club. 

Get me on that scoreboard, I look forward to seeing the winner. :t:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WorkyWorky said:

A pointless exercise that’s destroying speedway as we know it, I really wish the wind would blow it away Gaz. 

We ARE worrying about our own club, which is precisely why we are so bothered by the antics of a certain Scottish club. 

Get me on that scoreboard, I look forward to seeing the winner. :t:

Surely it is every clubs right to conduct there business how they see fit not another teams fans business on how they want them to run it because it affects the signing of a rider they were after ?

It happens in every sport FFS nobody can tell me that Workington or any other team for that matter have never gazumped another club over the decades on a signing.

And why would Workington be bothered about us,  it is up to Workington to do all they can to sign there targets  and not down to Glasgow to back down from one just because another club is after him, it is the way it works and if the boot was on the other foot I am sure we would hear nothing more about it as we would just move on to our next target.

It appears some at Workington have a bee in there bonnet about us why only they know, as for us we will go about our business the WAY WE SEE FIT it is not down to us to tread eggshells in case we upset someone.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1