British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

The anti Glasgow undercurrent from quite a few Workington fans on here has been apparent for a few years now. Not sure why, i dont recall any flashpoints, and i also dont recall it being there in 2013 or 2014. Perhaps they have previously seen Glasgow as beneath them, perhaps its jealousy, perhaps its something else only they could explain. Im sure those who do post don't reflect the vast majority of Workington fans.

• Like 2

Yeah but Glasgow have literally put a statement up very recently about losing 100’s of thousands of pounds every year and how they can’t afford to do that anymore, yet are still going about the same way of poaching riders and paying far more than other teams for middle order riders. It’s not on because it is forcing all of the other clubs to stretch their budgets due to all the riders demanding that extra £5/10 per point that is un needed and is due to the fact they know how much others are getting paid. Wage caps and cutting out greedy engine tuners are a neccessity for this sport to survive and whilst their is not teams like Glasgow will continue to ruin this good sport by making themselves and all of the other clubs go into financial ruin until they close down. I appreciate what the Facenna’s have done to the stadium and to the club but I do not appreciate what they have done to the sport at all.

And yes I do know some of the figures of riders wages from a couple of years ago at Glasgow and no I am not sharing them but yes they are completely over the top and yes they are a lot more than other similar riders were getting at other clubs that year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lot of good points made but it still doesn't get away from the fact you cannot tell anyone in any walk of life how to

A. Run there business. 

B.What they pay.

Yes we lost money but if you dig you will see a lot of one off purchases polyfoam fence , track work and so on.

Whilst the statement went down like a lead balloon Glasgow will continue to conduct there business as they see fit, how much they pay is irrelevant it is up to them.

However it makes last weeks statement all the more baffling if we are being gung ho in what we pay , i know the signing on fee is being paid by sponsors which is a major boost but the proof of how we perform financially will be under scrutiny more than ever this season.

• Like 1

Someone offers you a job at £x and you verbally agree terms . You go home and someone else phones you and offers you £x amount more . So you call the first one and say " sorry i've changed my mind " . 

I've done that in the past and so has thousands of other people , it happens , it's life . 

But to blame Glasgow for threatening the future existance of clubs and dangering the future of speedway as a whole is hysteria bordering on paranoia . 

If a club offers to pay a rider more money than another club will , then deal with it . The only future Glasgow is threatening is possibly it's own for the gamble of being a good payer . 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paulco said:

Someone offers you a job at £x and you verbally agree terms . You go home and someone else phones you and offers you £x amount more . So you call the first one and say " sorry i've changed my mind " . 

I've done that in the past and so has thousands of other people , it happens , it's life . 

But to blame Glasgow for threatening the future existance of clubs and dangering the future of speedway as a whole is hysteria bordering on paranoia . 

If a club offers to pay a rider more money than another club will , then deal with it . The only future Glasgow is threatening is possibly it's own for the gamble of being a good payer . 

First bit I agree with 100% but I do believe that riders wages/add ons/signing on fees from what they are getting at Glasgow (and maybe other clubs) are making the whole set of riders wanting more money that just isn’t available to all clubs, but if you build a weak team you will be bottom of the league and your crowds will fall, for me it’s all about all of the clubs working together and finding the balance, first step to that is wage caps, that can either be through a teams total wage cap as per NFL or be done as follows, ROUGHLY... 6 pointer = £60pp, 4 pointer =£40pp, 9 pointer =£90pp as an eg. If all clubs can agree on them and stick to them with heavy fines if caught breaking the caps with the fine being split between the other clubs then that will go along way into saving british speedway in my opinion.

2 hours ago, MD said:

Im sure those who do post don't reflect the vast majority of Workington fans.

The vast majority of speedway fans in the UK don't post on here....

3 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

First bit I agree with 100% but I do believe that riders wages/add ons/signing on fees from what they are getting at Glasgow (and maybe other clubs) are making the whole set of riders wanting more money that just isn’t available to all clubs, but if you build a weak team you will be bottom of the league and your crowds will fall, for me it’s all about all of the clubs working together and finding the balance, first step to that is wage caps, that can either be through a teams total wage cap as per NFL or be done as follows, ROUGHLY... 6 pointer = £60pp, 4 pointer =£40pp, 9 pointer =£90pp as an eg. If all clubs can agree on them and stick to them with heavy fines if caught breaking the caps with the fine being split between the other clubs then that will go along way into saving british speedway in my opinion.

That happens in sports like Rugby League . It's a nice idea in theory , but in reality someone will find a way round it , much like the financial fair play in football . 

Trouble with speedway is , there havent been many rules implemented that havent been bent in some way . 

14 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I am sure it is our fault on the poor deal we got on Brexit.

But some of the posts about us the last 48 hours on here ranges from the laughable to the pathetic im sure Gerry if looking in is pi*sing himself at the paronoia on here.

• Like 2

The thing you can buy the best riders on the league but it does not guarantee you anything who said worky would win 3 trophy’s with the team they had a good solid team from 1-7 with riders that will put something on there average will always win 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Yeah but Glasgow have literally put a statement up very recently about losing 100’s of thousands of pounds every year and how they can’t afford to do that anymore, yet are still going about the same way of poaching riders and paying far more than other teams for middle order riders. It’s not on because it is forcing all of the other clubs to stretch their budgets due to all the riders demanding that extra £5/10 per point that is un needed and is due to the fact they know how much others are getting paid. Wage caps and cutting out greedy engine tuners are a neccessity for this sport to survive and whilst their is not teams like Glasgow will continue to ruin this good sport by making themselves and all of the other clubs go into financial ruin until they close down. I appreciate what the Facenna’s have done to the stadium and to the club but I do not appreciate what they have done to the sport at all.

And yes I do know some of the figures of riders wages from a couple of years ago at Glasgow and no I am not sharing them but yes they are completely over the top and yes they are a lot more than other similar riders were getting at other clubs that year.

Even if Glasgow do choose to pay riders more than other teams, (not that you provide any proof, right enough)......what difference does it make to what other teams pay THEIR riders?   Ok, riders can ask for more based on what they hear Glasgow are paying, but that doesn't mean the other promoters have to pay. What are the riders going to do?....stop riding?  

What Glasgow decide to pay only affects THEIR seven riders and maybe does some team or teams out of a desired signing (or seven)

It's business in the private sector. Wages can and do vary by large margins between different employers for people expected to do the same job. 

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Even if Glasgow do choose to pay riders more than other teams, (not that you provide any proof, right enough)......what difference does it make to what other teams pay THEIR riders?   Ok, riders can ask for more based on what they hear Glasgow are paying, but that doesn't mean the other promoters have to pay. What are the riders going to do?....stop riding?  

What Glasgow decide to pay only affects THEIR seven riders and maybe does some team or teams out of a derived signing (or seven)

It's business in the private sector. Wages can and do vary by large margins between different employers for people expected to do the same job. 

The distain and jealousy shown on here since the takeover at Glasgow has been present since 2015 and has started to gather pace, we even have a poster quoting how we allegedly do our business.

Whilst you are 100% correct it will be ignored and the witchunt will continue from a certain few.

Better letting them vent there bile and let them push there agenda they will continue regardless.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

If you cast your mind back to Mid 8o’s,84 I think they agreed a wage cap but Berwick( Davie Fairbairn)work round it via sponsorship( which is always the way out), but unfortunately injuries stopped Berwick winning the league.Cribb,McDermott,McMillan,McKinna did not come cheap.

1 minute ago, Gazc said:

The distain and jealousy shown on here since the takeover at Glasgow has been present since 2015 and has started to gather pace, we even have a poster quoting how we allegedly do our business.

Whilst you are 100% correct it will be ignored and the witchunt will continue from a certain few.

Better letting them vent there bile and let them push there agenda they will continue regardless.

I think you are overstating the reaction that you say is distain and jealousy Gaz. Most clubs/supporters would love to have the improvements in the stadium and the quality of the team that Glasgow has delivered. It upgrades the sport in general when it can be shown the bar has been raised, in the same way Belle Vue did with the National Stadium. Unfortunately Glasgows aggressive approach to being the best does have an effect of the running and the costs that other clubs pay their riders. Once a new top heatleader pay level has been reached by one club, it cascades down for all the other number 1's to ask for more money, and then the. lesser heatleaders and second strings get in on the act. Same with sign-on's. Riders can stick out for the increase and ultimately clubs have to fall in line to give their fans the team that the fans want and will support. It's rather being shortsighted/unbelievable to think one club doesn't affect the rates of pay of another club. I note on here that many fans don't really, or pretend not to, know the rates that Glasgow has paid its riders in the recent years. Other fans know probably to the pound, because it is talked about widespread in the pits and I could have given you at least three riders wages from a couple of years ago. It's not really a secret anywhere. I think the irony to the rest of us is that Glasgow is bleating about losing a lot of money(most than any other club I know about), and appealing for more volunteers and saying they can't go on like this and continue with such losses. Who caused it ?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Promotors Can always  say no to any rider if it’s outwith their budget I know Glasgow knocked back a rider because of his demands  and by the sound of it  Somerset knocked back Charles Wright because they would not go over their budget and with the low team ave this year some decent riders might  miss out with their demands so there will always be another rider that will take the deal 

Edited by mac101

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I think you are overstating the reaction that you say is distain and jealousy Gaz. Most clubs/supporters would love to have the improvements in the stadium and the quality of the team that Glasgow has delivered. It upgrades the sport in general when it can be shown the bar has been raised, in the same way Belle Vue did with the National Stadium. Unfortunately Glasgows aggressive approach to being the best does have an effect of the running and the costs that other clubs pay their riders. Once a new top heatleader pay level has been reached by one club, it cascades down for all the other number 1's to ask for more money, and then the. lesser heatleaders and second strings get in on the act. Same with sign-on's. Riders can stick out for the increase and ultimately clubs have to fall in line to give their fans the team that the fans want and will support. It's rather being shortsighted/unbelievable to think one club doesn't affect the rates of pay of another club. I note on here that many fans don't really, or pretend not to, know the rates that Glasgow has paid its riders in the recent years. Other fans know probably to the pound, because it is talked about widespread in the pits and I could have given you at least three riders wages from a couple of years ago. It's not really a secret anywhere. I think the irony to the rest of us is that Glasgow is bleating about losing a lot of money(most than any other club I know about), and appealing for more volunteers and saying they can't go on like this and continue with such losses. Who caused it ?  

Not overstating it at all it is out there and not difficult to find.

Glasgow will always do what is best for Glasgow it is there choice but as i said our finances and accounts will be under more scrutiny this year  more than ever.

Our business model has failed but i will not fault them on trying, the model needs changed the proof on how much by will be on how we do off the track more than on it. 

• Like 2