British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Glasgow 2019 Onwards

32 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Would Joe Lawlor have been sacked if there was not a rider of Bickley’s potential available?

A breach of club discipline would in most cases result in this happening with any promotion regardless of who was or wasn't available 

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Maybe along the lines of due to a breach of club discipline it is regrettable we have had to dispense with the services of Joe Lawler.  The club have moved swiftly to gain the signing of Kyle Bickley as his replacement . 

A lot to like about that, I think the club were trying their best not to hurt Joe's reputation but unfortunately he failed to grasp that opportunity. 

Personally I don't think it would have mattered what the tone of the post was, those with their own agendas would have sought to take advantage. 

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

Would Joe Lawlor have been sacked if there was not a rider of Bickley’s potential available?

.......Yes !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoff100 said:

But had kyle not been free would u still have sacked joe?

Maybe you've not fully digested Peter's statement, or understood the relevant parts.

Joe's actions went beyond the realms of Glasgow Tigers speedway.

Allied Vehicles are a major employer in Glasgow - they employ over 600 people. Their reputation was put at risk with the hotel chain, the Chief Fire officer  and the significant number of hotel guests who had to evacuate their rooms and stand in a car park in the middle of the night. I'm confident some, if not significantly more, of those guests would have been complaining at reception the next morning.

So if you were the Glasgow promotion and weighed up the full extent of Joe's actions and the potential impact on your major business - would the availability of a replacement rider be in the forefront of your mind?

I very much doubt it.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Paulco said:

Now that the full story has come out , i must apologize for my initial reaction which was arrived at due to my cynical attitude I have about speedway these says . 

The whole thing is unfortunate , Joe is a teenager and teenagers are not the most predictable of individuals and i hope he learns from this big mistake he has made . 

But i feel the news could have been announced better by my club . The unforseen circumstances bollocks that was trotted out only served to fuel the belief that Kyle Bickley was always going to replace one of the reserves once Workington shut . 

Hope this is the last unsavoury incident we have to deal with and we can now settle down to enjoy the coming season . 

Lets face it, you certainly wouldn't be the only one to be cynical given the information that you had. I like to think I am fair minded, but that my first reaction was that this was an excuse to get rid of a rider and replace him with a far better one.

If we are cynical, I'd say that's what actions within speedway have made us. 

Even now, and even taking into account the circumstances (and its difficult to suggest Glasgow's actions aren't reasonable) there's still a suspicion that had the riders been different so the reaction might have been. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, george.m said:

Maybe you've not fully digested Peter's statement, or understood the relevant parts.

Allied Vehicles are a major employer in Glasgow - they employ over 600 people. Their reputation was put at risk with the hotel chain, the Chief Fire officer  and the significant number of hotel guests who had to evacuate their rooms and stand in a car park in the middle of the night. I'm confident some, if not significantly more, of those guests would have been complaining at reception the next morning.

So if you were the Glasgow promotion and weighed up the full extent of Joe's actions and the potential impact on your major business - would the availability of a replacement rider be in the forefront of your mind?

I very much doubt it.

The point made by Geoff is not a totally unreasonable one.

I certainly think that the effect on the speedway team would be taken into account when any decision was made. 

To turn your position round, say you had an outstanding starlet almost guaranteed to put 3 points on his average - and league titles are won by such riders - and his replacement was a 2.00 rider who would stay as a 2.00 rider. 

Can you say for definite that the reaction would have been the same or that it would have been if this were Craig Cook ? 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Endeavour said:

I'd like to think that any club would've acted in similar fashion. 

• Like 2

End of the day. Lawlor was at his work place so to speak. Got very drunk and caused some aggro. 

Most if not all people would get sacked from there employers if you was to do something similar. 

It's very unfortunate for Joe and very lucky for Kyle.

As it goes I do think Kyle would eventually have gone to Glasgow but I'm pretty sure Glasgow was going to wait till

1, see if chessell was fit enough to start season if not Kyle would be in. 

Or

2, they would have give both lads the first month and if 1 of them struggled then kyle would have been in. 

But I bet the other 8 or so clubs would have done the exact same thing to which ever reserve started poorly. 

So good luck Kyle and lets hope little Joe learns from this, he wont make the same mistake again

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Paulco said:

A breach of club discipline would in most cases result in this happening with any promotion regardless of who was or wasn't available 

Unfortunately Paul it doesn't and that is why these young lads don't understand the consequences of their actions when having a laugh. The trend is to sweep it under the carpet or laugh with them.

Imagine the frustration as a sponsor when your team or team members choose not to wear the corporate image or race jackets are removed before photographs are taken? I sponsored a team who won a trophy on a hot day and all but one of the riders had removed their race jacket and 2 had rolled their race suit down to their waist revealing the sleeveless under garments on a rostrum photograph that appeared in SS. My boss was was really impressed and asked me how he could put that on the boardroom wall.

Glasgow are to be commended for their investment and commitment to professionalism, when the sport is full of corporate bodies we might then attract major sponsors, blue chip names and wider media coverage, until then it's the egg and spoon race run by the Village Fete Committee.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, george.m said:

I very much doubt it.

I stand by what i said and as others have said had it have been anyone else what the actions have been the same.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

I stand by what i said and as others have said had it have been anyone else what the actions have been the same.

You can speculate all you want but the facts are there for all to see , nobody can answer the question with any degree of certainty.

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

To be fair Geoff, Kyle has battered them for a job since the Worky announcement but that should have put the Glasgow reserves on their best behaviour, changes have been made on the eve of the season many times before.

Edited by Byker Biker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

You can speculate all you want but the facts are there for all to see , nobody can answer the question with any degree of certainty.

You should be able to.

After all, if there is a code of club conduct then the same punishment should apply to whoever breaks it - regardless of seniority, ability or any other factor. Otherwise its near useless and worse can be seen as merely an inconsistent management tool to punish those who faces for what ever reason do not fit.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Thought you would. No surprise there.

• Like 1