British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

45 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not true though is it. If the promoters are using Buster's money, who do you think should call the shots??

One thing I'm not saying is all the things in the background have to change, certainly not. Supporters clubs, charity events etc etc can continue as they are. But when it comes to money Buster will want things done his way and regularly updated. 

If Buster says no rider announcements until a supporters meeting is set up or drip feeding throughout the new year, that is how it's going to be regardless of how Rathbone or Louis prefers things done.

They're no longer playing with their own money are they.

THats quite correct and Buster could well get his fingers burned if he doesn’t treat the Club and Panthers fans with the respect they deserve because he has never been Mr. Popular at the Eoes and I can’t see that changing just because he now owns the club - his name would have been number 3 or 4 on a list after the Hortons of less than desirable owners - Godfrey (Scunthorpe) taking 3 or 4 beside him!    

Anyway it is what it is now but GED in contrast is still held in high regard by many fans and him still being there makes Chapman’s tenure bearable.   Panthers fans (and Witches to) will not settle for being treated 2nd or 3rd best so I would have thought it preferable if each Club is run as a separate entity to avoid accusations of conflict of interest which could very quickly turn into lost revenue - but at least it will yes be Buster’s money and not Rathbone’s or Louis.  It will certainly add interest off track watching what develops throughout the coming season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not true though is it. If the promoters are using Buster's money, who do you think should call the shots??

One thing I'm not saying is all the things in the background have to change, certainly not. Supporters clubs, charity events etc etc can continue as they are. But when it comes to money Buster will want things done his way and regularly updated. 

If Buster says no rider announcements until a supporters meeting is set up or drip feeding throughout the new year, that is how it's going to be regardless of how Rathbone or Louis prefers things done.

They're no longer playing with their own money are they.

It would of course be totally outrageous  to suggest that the views or wishes of those that pay at the gate should be shown any consideration. About time they shut up accepted with grace and gratitude the benevolence of the bosses

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

It would of course be totally outrageous  to suggest that the views or wishes of those that pay at the gate should be shown any consideration. About time they shut up accepted with grace and gratitude the benevolence of the bosses

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I'm merely saying what Buster says goes. Whether we think it's right or wrong is irrelevant, hence why I no longer attend King's Lynn meetings at home.

I don't agree with the way he runs King's Lynn and I feel badly treated as a fan so the only thing to do is not waste my money on something I no longer believe in.

Buster WILL upset folk, there are no doubts about that.

Like I said, his way for many seasons now has been to not announce rider's except through supporters meetings or after the new year.

I can't see this being any different at Ipswich or Peterborough, when it's Buster's money you do as he says or not at all. I've chosen not at all just so you are aware, I'm not a supporter of him at my club.

Buster will ‘work’ with people but they have to realise it’s his way or the Highway. Look what happened with his boy. 

I applaud the way that Buster recued the top division by purchasing two other clubs,  but the only way this can work is to let them run as individual units.   They have to be free to make their own decisions and sign their own riders.    If it is seen as Buster controlling  everything at all 3 clubs,  the integrity of the sport will be lost, with people questioning the ethics of the whole happening.    Yes,  the return of those historic derby matches should be mouth watering,   but if there are any signs of controlling interest, the remaining fans of the sport will be gone forever..

• Like 8

Buster letting anyone dictate how his money is spent ?  Can’t see that happening Webbo, can you ?

• Like 1

I cannot see how this arrangement will work. Surely Buster will not allow the two stand in promoters to have a free reign as to what rider contracts they offer, and they will be working to a strict budget set by Buster.

12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Wonder if Ged has some contract clauses put in place in the deal similar  to the ones Chris Louis seems to of had added. 

Doubt it. Ged only sticking around for one more season. Louis will be around for much longer.

1 hour ago, semion said:

Buster will ‘work’ with people but they have to realise it’s his way or the Highway. Look what happened with his boy. 

Do you know exactly what went on between Buster n Jonathan then? 

Trees , did he leave suddenly from both the Speedway and the Football Club’s  after a ‘fallout’ ?  Sorry I can’t comment more than that. Do you know something different ?

Can see Buster upsetting the Showground management as hes not had to deal with any other party at Lynn, Showground management dont take no crap and only deal with those they trust,Ged must of been pursuaded to stay on, some riders are signed on the back of sponsors money so he may not have had to seek approval from Buster for all the targets.

Wouldn't be surprised if 12 months from now the uncertainty of if the Panthers are running or not returns yet again.

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Can see Buster upsetting the Showground management as hes not had to deal with any other party at Lynn, Showground management dont take no crap and only deal with those they trust,Ged must of been pursuaded to stay on, some riders are signed on the back of sponsors money so he may not have had to seek approval from Buster for all the targets.

Wouldn't be surprised if 12 months from now the uncertainty of if the Panthers are running or not returns yet again.

It's an annual event these days so it'd be a suprise if that wasn't the case but given the circumstances it's got to be a warm favourite already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noodles said:

Doubt it. Ged only sticking around for one more season. Louis will be around for much longer.

At this point in time I will be surprised if this arrangement lasts to the end of the first season and TOTALLY AMAZED if it goes into its second season (with or without GED).   

As as you say in another post unless GED is in sole charge the risk of a clash between Buster and the Showground management has to be a high possibility and we all know what the outcome of that will be!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, semion said:

Buster letting anyone dictate how his money is spent ?  Can’t see that happening Webbo, can you ?

Fair enough - his money - his choice BUT and it’s a BIG BUT the Panthers fans will not tolerate Buster riding rough shod over them in any manner relating to how our Club is now run the way the Stars fans possibly would - they will just walk away and let him get on with it!   

• Like 5