British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

If this is true it means Chapman was involved in Panthers team building from the start - therefore would have been involved in (or at least had knowledge of) the deal offered to Harris.

It was what Bjerre said in the Speedway Star w/e 12 Jan. He said he was prepared to take a small pay cut but that there was no chance of him accepting what Chapman was offering.

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Enjoy the ride under Buster's reign, your love for the club will dwindle under his ownership I have no doubt.

Supporters are not in his thoughts as a business, you will just be a mugged off customer.

Buster’s reign will be short lived - his ownership method may work in Kings Lynn (possibly Ipswich) but is not Peterborough Panthers Fans  style.   When the end comes and the Club closes for the final time the pain of losing it will be eased by the knowledge that it’s Buster losing money and not Ged. .  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maneacat said:

Buster’s reign will be short lived - his ownership method may work in Kings Lynn (possibly Ipswich) but is not Peterborough Panthers Fans  style.   When the end comes and the Club closes for the final time the pain of losing it will be eased by the knowledge that it’s Buster losing money and not Ged. .  

I think he would do well to sell up to the first possible offer even if he loses money , surely there must be someone out there that could be tempted into purchasing the club , otherwise I can see a rapid decline for the club and I would hate to see Buster owning the club more than one season . Whatever he does at Kings Lynn he's more than welcome to carry on , that's fine by me , we just don't want him at Peterborough .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Just like the press releases from both Ipswich and Peterborough when he’d taken over both clubs. 

Think we know the game now. It’s sh!t, but we know the game. Going to be very interesting to see what the crowd levels are at the start, and throughout next season at both clubs  

Has all the makings of being disastrous this. 

I think you are partly right but many loyal supporters who are not forum members will turn up.

Sad that single handedly and in such a short space of time he has managed to be so devisive and brought the sport into such disrepute yet being in charge he really could not give a fig. Lies, misleading stories, no public denials and staff silenced would appear to sum up his style. 

Sadly he appears to be less than a professional businessman and he lacks man management skills and his public persona does not endear anyone to him or his cause, look back at his interviews on TV.

Unfortunately it is his money and he is calling the tune and the only way to get back at people like this is hit them in the pocket. That means boycotting meetings. Who is really going to do that? Supporters have a choice and can make stand but will they do it. Add to the unhealthy situation of one company owning three teams in one league in one part of the country and that is bad news for the future of the sport in this region.

Add to this the  monopoly known as the BSPA which needs breaking up and/or given a bloody nose says it all about the sad state the sport is in and the dire situation that speedway in East Anglia faces. Fans of all three clubs must be wondering what they have done to deserve the current situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noodles said:

If this is true it means Chapman was involved in Panthers team building from the start - therefore would have been involved in (or at least had knowledge of) the deal offered to Harris.

Also seems odd that Cook ended up at Peterborough from Belle Vue for the same type of reason,  or hes taken a good pay cut just to obtain a team spot with a PL team

Just playing Devils' Advocate here without suggesting this is the case, but maybe Chris Harris asked for more money than was originally agreed?

3 minutes ago, KevH said:

Just playing Devils' Advocate here without suggesting this is the case, but maybe Chris Harris asked for more money than was originally agreed?

That's just another plausible scenario to throw in the ring, but i fear we will never know the truth which is par for the course in Speedway...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KevH said:

If he didn't agree with the money on offer then surely he would not have signed a contract in the first place

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KevH said:

We may never know.. I think Buster thinks he is doing the best to keep the Prem going. He has laid lots of money on the line (no one else would) when speedway in the UK is on it's @rse.

He has taken a big risk. Do people really think he has bought Ippo and Boro to make himself thousands when no one else can..??

We don't know anything about the deals in place or budgets etc, so I think people should cut him a bit of slack for now.  

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

If he didn't agree with the money on offer then surely he would not have signed a contract in the first place

Surely, that same reasoning should apply to the Peterborough promoters too?

I don't know what I'm discusted with most..the treatment of Harris or the lack of respect for the fans for not explaining it...either way I won't be buying a season ticket now.

• Like 1

Chapman to Rathbone, November 2018: " I'll leave you to get on with signing the team up, just make sure you keep the costs tight.

Chapman to Rathbone, January 2019; "JFC, Ged, I told you to keep the costs tight. You're going to have to reduce the wagebill by 20%. If you have to cut a heat leader I can take him to Ippo or Lynn but I won't be paying him the money you've agreed. You can have Tungate but you'll have to pay him a lot less than you've agreed with your other heat leaders.

• Like 1

The team looked way to expensive from the start. And signed up fast. I don't know what was agreed, but theres no way imho Buster would of agreed to  a wage bill like that. I don't know what went on, but if, and it's a very big if Buster had agreed terms with all the riders, then it's a sham.But I can't see him giving the Panthers a much bigger budget than his King's Lynn or Ippo. This must of been thrashed out between Buster, Ippo and Boro before a rider was signed, surely?

• Haha 1