British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

50 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Peterborough fans put there hard earned money into the club a few years ago and to be honest they should demand it back now after the Holdergate episode and the sale of the club now but most did it for the love of the club to keep it going. 

It is not very healthy for one man to own 3 clubs and also be Chairman of British Speedway. I hope that Peterborough continue, but I don’t think many clubs in the Premiership are making any money.  Just look at Somerset, Leicester, Rye House, all promoted recently, and all dropping out. Coventry also gone, but for a different reason. The Premiere league looks very unstable and probably unsustainable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

According to the Peterborough Evening Telegraph Chris Harris is gutted to be left out of Panthers team and could anyone blame him, Ged Rathbone has said he cannot comment on this and Carl Johnson said he been instructed not to comment about it .  Did Ged go over the allowed budget or is this Chapman flexing his muscles to get equality amongst his 3. clubs. Supporters club committee have held a behind closed doors meeting with representatives of Chapman at the weekend to let them know what is expected from them for 2019. So Chapman being club owner has silenced those promoting the team which effect means they have been gagged.    All this just to keep the premier league functioning. I am beginning to wish we had stayed in the championship and not sold out to the dictator.

Any news as to what the 'expectations' are from the supporters club?

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

They will be silenced. The King's Lynn Supporters Club is a good example of that. Everything has to go through the club/Buster before anything is public. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

They will be silenced. The King's Lynn Supporters Club is a good example of that. Everything has to go through the club/Buster before anything is public. 

Measuring up and first fitting for the gags then?:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Is it just silencing though?

What about fundraising and how it is used?

2 hours ago, mrss said:

I didn't mean to offend anyone. What I meant was surely there must be a company owner who is a Panthers fan who could have invested in the speedway. 

Well you did it twice in one post, firstly by the way you wrote the post and secondly not realising that Europress meet your criteria.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Got to ask why it was Harris who was released from his contract was he the most expensive rider of the three, was he the one who said he would go, was he just told your the one to go end of discussion 

He's not as good as the other heat leaders 

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

From what I can gather it was an introductionary meeting to put  names and faces together ready for working together in 2019, not sure what else took place and if any other questions were asked regarding Chris Harris saga and reasons behind it, though I do believe someone must have asked some questions I can't believe the committee sat there like dummies without asking questions and getting some assurances where supporters raised monies are going to be used

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

That they are all still there at the start of the season and don't get suddenly removed from their positions?:D

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I do not believe Peterborough Supporters Club will kowtow so easily. Neil Watsons name is conspicuous by its absence in all this

Edited by wealdstone

14 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

I am beginning to wish we had stayed in the championship and not sold out to the dictator.

Soon, very soon supporters everywhere will feel the same and turn on the other promoters who have allowed the rise of the dictator. He will stand on the burning pyre of "top-level" UK speedway within a year. And common sense will then begin the slow rebuild of semi-pro UK speedway. Riders need to make hay while the sun shines. The times they are a changing - as someone once sang.

• Like 2

The idea hopefully is that somebody else takes Peterborough and Ipswich on. This thing with buster can only work as a stop gap else it all loses all credibility.. It’s a very depressing time to be a speedway fan in this country. Something that was great and is now barely a shadow of itself.. reminds me of the Micky rauke character in the wrestler.

there is no finger pointing. You either fancy speedway or you don’t. That’s the long and short of it. No matter how much star dust you throw at it all. I don’t like rugby. No matter how well you look at changing it that will never change. As a lover of speedway. It’s like the family dig that’s Ill and there is a choice to make

this sport as it is still appeals to me. I’m glad buster saved the top league but somebody else needs to run these teams

Edited by Danny Connor
  • Like 3

reading this thread gives off the impression that most Panthers supporters actually want their fine club to actually fail and drop out of the league

Peterborough are a great club with a decent a supporter base,but sadly seems to drift from one crisis to another,main due to previous owners,now you have an owner who seems to make speedway sustainable,stick to budgets and has a history of producing competative teams without a sniff of financial troubles or threats of closing

maybe you should embrace it and be greatfull that Mr Chapman stepped in,i know of alot of folk up Workington way who would be glad someone like him would take over

Dont think ive ever come across of bunch of miserable,negative folk as most speedway fans,ffs,cheer up,you may just enjoy the sport again if you opened your mind

[Chris Harris`s replacement might just be a  great signing,you never know]

Edited by montie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

At last a comment that tells the facts  All teams must at least pay their way other wise you will finish with no Speedway at all.   as for finding someone alse  with the record of recent years of mismanagement he is going to find it hard.          

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, montie said:

reading this thread gives off the impression that most Panthers supporters actually want their fine club to actually fail and drop out of the league

Peterborough are a great club with a decent a supporter base,but sadly seems to drift from one crisis to another,main due to previous owners,now you have an owner who seems to make speedway sustainable,stick to budgets and has a history of producing competative teams without a sniff of financial troubles or threats of closing

maybe you should embrace it and be greatfull that Mr Chapman stepped in,i know of alot of folk up Workington way who would be glad someone like him would take over

Dont think ive ever come across of bunch of miserable,negative folk as most speedway fans,ffs,cheer up,you may just enjoy the sport again if you opened your mind

[Chris Harris`s replacement might just be a  great signing,you never know]

I think you'll find that when the team was named there wasn't a negative post to be seen and that was despite the owner. You need to ask yourself what changed? Yes Panthers may have supporters who pay their money year on year and tell it as they see it but why give them ammunition in the first place if you know what sort of return you'll get. Most Panthers fans want the stability they had for decades rather than the running or not hokey cokey we seem to get every year. Is the current set up going to deliver that? Who knows. We've also experienced the negative impact of dual ownership when Horton took over Oxford (Remember the Cheetahs?) so you can appreciate (well it appears not) some concern. As I said, the 3 tracks need to be operated independently, equally and without owner interference then they all might prosper and progress beyond being the gang of 3.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 7