British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

Just now, Crump99 said:

I think you'll find that when the team was named there wasn't a negative post to be seen and that was despite the owner. You need to ask yourself what changed? Yes Panthers may have supporters who pay their money year on year and tell it as they see it but why give them ammunition in the first place if you know what sort of return you'll get. Most Panthers want the stability they had for decades rather than the annual running or not hokey cokey we seem to get every year. Is the current set up going to deliver that? I doubt. We've also experienced the negative impact of dual ownership when Horton took over Oxford (Remember the Cheetahs?) so you can appreciate (well it appears not) some concern. As I said, the 3 tracks need to be operated independently, equally and without owner interference then they all might prosper and progress beyond being the gang of 3.

i cant see anywhere mentioned [but i havnt read it all]  that the Panthers are ``Dual owned``,is that the truth? as i read it Buster had bought the club himself outright

from the outside looking in,seems the take over has only just gone through and that team was over budget and Chapman has reacted to this my letting the unlucky Harris go

If this is the case then respect to the new owner/owners for making difficult decisions promptly to enusre the Panthers run to a budget and remain in business,thats basic ecconomics which sadly is missing from many promotions brains,both past and present

and you mention that the current set up won`t deliver what you wish for,may i ask why? as  when it comes to viable speedway tracks  then i cant see anyone better that Chapam,like him or not,it matters not,he does things his way and that seems to keep things on the right track,after all its his money invested and he has right to act or react when situations need changeing

Harris will get fixed up elsewhere,Boro will make a more cost effective signing and all will come to the tapes  in March for what im sure is a competative season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, montie said:

i cant see anywhere mentioned [but i havnt read it all]  that the Panthers are ``Dual owned``,is that the truth? as i read it Buster had bought the club himself outright

The reference to "dual owned" is to Buster owning more than one club (Kings Lynn, Ipswich and Peterborough) not that he is in partnership with another person. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

The idea hopefully is that somebody else takes Peterborough and Ipswich on. This thing with buster can only work as a stop gap else it all loses all credibility.. It’s a very depressing time to be a speedway fan in this country. Something that was great and is now barely a shadow of itself.. reminds me of the Micky rauke character in the wrestler.

there is no finger pointing. You either fancy speedway or you don’t. That’s the long and short of it. No matter how much star dust you throw at it all. I don’t like rugby. No matter how well you look at changing it that will never change. As a lover of speedway. It’s like the family dig that’s Ill and there is a choice to make

this sport as it is still appeals to me. I’m glad buster saved the top league but somebody else needs to run these teams

That first line is what I expect to happen. I think it's a stop gap, to bide a bit of time. Although I fear it will only put back the inevitable of 1 league for another season. 

57 minutes ago, montie said:

from the outside looking in,seems the take over has only just gone through and that team was over budget and Chapman has reacted to this my letting the unlucky Harris go

If this is the case then respect to the new owner/owners for making difficult decisions promptly to enusre the Panthers run to a budget and remain in business,thats basic ecconomics which sadly is missing from many promotions brains,both past and present

and you mention that the current set up won`t deliver what you wish for,may i ask why? as  when it comes to viable speedway tracks  then i cant see anyone better that Chapam,like him or not,it matters not,he does things his way and that seems to keep things on the right track,after all its his money invested and he has right to act or react when situations need changeing

Harris will get fixed up elsewhere,Boro will make a more cost effective signing and all will come to the tapes  in March for what im sure is a competative season

I would be surprised if Harris was not already fixed up prior to the announcement . Even more surprised if he is not fixed up with one of Busters other teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I would be surprised if Harris was not already fixed up prior to the announcement . Even more surprised if he is not fixed up with one of Busters other teams.

Of course he will be fixed up already and chances are it will be at one of Busters other clubs,and who cares really as long as it fits in with their budget and Harris is happy then all is good

when you look at it on paper one has to say that The witches  look a slighly cheaper team on paper than the Panthers do,so maybe room to pay a little more for Harris

[If say Buster has build all 3 of his teams to the same Budget per meeting and at a level that makes it vaiable to all 3 clubs then possibly that is a good thing for the league]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, montie said:

Not having that given that Rathbone is one of the few promoters who appears competent and well capable of running within an agreed budget. We assume that the budget was agreed and the team was then publically announced so at what point was it realised that the agreed sums don't add up and a difficult decision was needed. Also, given that you're (not you personally) trying to keep the interest ticking along and appear transparent then communications lockdown is not the way to meet that objective IMO.

Having said all that, it is what it is and I can live with it for now. As long as we don't get any more surprises then the team will still be worth watching at the EoES.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, montie said:

Of course he will be fixed up already and chances are it will be at one of Busters other clubs,and who cares really as long as it fits in with their budget and Harris is happy then all is good

when you look at it on paper one has to say that The witches  look a slighly cheaper team on paper than the Panthers do,so maybe room to pay a little more for Harris

[If say Buster has build all 3 of his teams to the same Budget per meeting and at a level that makes it vaiable to all 3 clubs then possibly that is a good thing for the league]

No, it's good for Busters League. Ippo and Boro were doing just fine in the Championship before he got his grubby hands on both clubs. I'd rather watch Kemp at Ippo, and Bacon at Boro progress in the Championship tbh...

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

No, it's good for Busters League. Ippo and Boro were doing just fine in the Championship before he got his grubby hands on both clubs. I'd rather watch Kemp at Ippo, and Bacon at Boro progress in the Championship tbh...

Whilst I respect your views, exactly what would they progress to if the Premiership had failed due to lack of teams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

i have to beg to differ there,they maybe were doing fine yes but not good enough for there owners to want to keep hold of them,

one has to ask why if they were doing fine,would the owners want out?

11 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Not having that given that Rathbone is one of the few promoters who appears competent and well capable of running within an agreed budget. We assume that the budget was agreed and the team was then publically announced so at what point was it realised that the agreed sums don't add up and a difficult decision was needed. .

unless or course that in the completion of the  take over,Chapman has realised original budgets agreed has actually not been stuck to,one never knows

and reading previous posts it is rummoured than Tungate is Harris`s replacement,well if that is the case then it seems he has actaully strenghtened the team and reduced the budget,which im sure even Chapmans harshest critics will have to agree that is a job well done

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Whilst I respect your views, exactly what would they progress to if the Premiership had failed due to lack of teams.

I would hardly call a shrinking league which is almost on its knees Progression. It's only a matter of time before it fails completely...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

I would hardly call a shrinking league which is almost on its knees Progression. It's only a matter of time before it fails completely...

Jeez, if every fan was like you the league would be dead and buried by now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

So I ask again, what do you see them progressing to?

Buster owning 3 clubs is far from ideal but it does give a higher level of the sport a chance. Ippo and Boro staying in the Championship would almost certainly have meant no higher level so nowhere for the youngsters to progess as I can't see Poland/Sweden etc becoming a training ground for young Brits. I do not know the solution to speedways ills,  I doubt there is one single one but it seems to me that to continue the existence of a higher league is preferable to seeing it fold. 

Probably the best we can hope for is some speedway fanatic to win Euromillions and buy the whole lot out lock stock and barrel:P

2 hours ago, montie said:

You need to wake up and smell the coffee - if you believe the Fairy story we have all been fed so far!    Transparency and honesty is the first things we need from a new owner especially as he is the Chairman  of the BSPA but so far it appears sadly lacking.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 5:29 PM, Noodles said:

If this is true it means Chapman was involved in Panthers team building from the start - therefore would have been involved in (or at least had knowledge of) the deal offered to Harris.

Bjerre said in the Speedway Star w/e 12 Jan that he was prepared to take a small pay cut but that there was no chance of him accepting what Chapman was offering.

Belle Vue announced the signing of Bjerre on the 10th December so it would seem that Chapman was involved in the Peterborough signings before then. 

• Like 2