British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

This may be daft and is said somewhat tongue in cheek.

The rider is a club asset but his bike is his own property/asset. Therefore club sponsors on rider and rider sponsors on bike.

Simples!.

Looking at the picture posted of Hans all of the advertising seems to be white lettering, or do I see it wrong? 

1 minute ago, Potman said:

Looking at the picture posted of Hans all of the advertising seems to be white lettering, or do I see it wrong? 

Not only does it look neater, working in the print industry myself, costs are usually lower too for fewer colours and/or white.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Potman said:

And very large and visible too. Win win by looks of it.

• Like 1

I wonder which one of the other 3 clubs will now make a change ?  Swindon, can’t see it.  Poole, ?  Wolves without a real no1 ?  Maybe a Cook/Nicholls swap ?  Surely not :rofl:

Where would you put ya money ?

Edited by semion

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Quite surprised how divided opinion is on this, would have put money on the vast majority of people being on Cook’s side when I first heard the news. Perhaps that says something.

Not as though this happened overnight.... been rumbling for a while.  The rider rides for a club that have their own sponsors and these need to be at the forefront. Then comes personal sponsors.  If it were an individual meeting then that's different. 

Well done to the current promotion for sticking to their principles. The other riders seem fine with it, it's just Cook that has an issue. Just means that none of his sponsors will get any "airtime" now, they can't be best pleased with the decesion made by the rider. I certainly wouldn't be if I was a company sponsoring a rider on the understanding that my company would be given exposure on tv and other media.

• Like 3

Cook seems the only rider with an issue with this within the whole league and his Feb 21st press article must of been made up words by someone.

You wouldnt have say blue writing on a black or red background anyway hence most go for white. 

There was a fans forum friday night obviously no mention of this issue mentioned then.

If its a last minute thing what about the possible wasted money on kevlars, bike covers for Cook but with this issue surely they were not ordered. 

If the teams built on a budget why spend 10k on the track equipment wasnt there any already in place.

Gomolski is no replacement for Cook cheaper yes, but nowhere the same scoring potential. 

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Get another part time job then? Speedway doesn't owe them a living. Craig Cook also rides in the 2nd division at the highest payers in the League so won't be doing too badly!

Your sentence should read something more like.... without team sponsorship, teams like Peterborough wouldn’t be able to make the sport pay

Christ almighty... riders need individual sponsorship to earn a living in the sport !

this “ f*** you get a another part time job” attitude is exactly why British Speedway is on its knees  , 

Belle Vue ‘ RENTRUCK ‘ Aces  have never had this problem telling their riders what they can or can’t have on their Kevlars , so why are Peterborough? .....

• Like 5

It's hard to fathom exactly what has occurred here and probably we'll never know.

It does seem though that you have a Promoter/Owner with a flair for controversy and a Rider who seems to have trouble with a capital T following him around. He seems a nice lad but not the first Club he has had a strop with and suggestions that there has been a "communication break down".

He'll need all of that whopping guaranteed payment per meeting from Glasgow if he is going to get out of this mess financially as he is not exactly sought after in Poland and Sweden and other than Poole; Wolverhampton or Belle Vue (would they touch him??) can't see where he can fit in? 

May be Uncle Len will give him an NL berth, he seems to have very deep pockets ! (that's a joke btw)!

Edited by HGould
missed final bracket

These team covers work on Poland. Why do riders agree to that but not here. Are they paid for it in Poland????

23 minutes ago, HGould said:

It's hard to fathom exactly what has occurred here and probably we'll never know.

It does seem though that you have a Promoter/Owner with a flair for controversy and a Rider who seems to have trouble with a capital T following him around. He seems a nice lad but not the first Club he has had a strop with and suggestions that there has been a "communication break down".

He'll need all of that whopping guaranteed payment per meeting from Glasgow if he is going to get out of this mess financially as he is not exactly sought after in Poland and Sweden and other than Poole; Wolverhampton or Belle Vue (would they touch him??) can't see where he can fit in? 

May be Uncle Len will give him an NL berth, he seems to have very deep pockets ! (that's a joke btw)!

Absolutely no chance of him riding for Wolves!!!

• Like 1

The Peterborough club / Buster Chapman must be in the right - assuming that Cook was offered a deal along the lines of Lewis Hamilton ( for the club to own his image ). Perhaps £100k up front, all equipment and accessories supplied and a team of at least two mechanics.  If it was a deal like that then ( or £1,000 per point ) I am sure Cook would have been swayed.

Speedway is far too tiny a sport financially for clubs to own the image rights to riders. I suspect that basically on the question of money Chapman and Cook fell out and this rights image row is a good face saver.

Edited by waytogo28
additional point made

In no other team sport do the competitors determine what a team kit/uniform looks like, so why should Peterborough speedway be any different?

If a company is pumping money into the club, they want to be the focal point of the team kit.

You always get the hysterical masses that side with the rider in speedway, but the club can't afford to lose a major sponsor by having a rider dictate the design of a team suit.

Looking at the press and practice pics, it's hard to see what his issue was. The fact that he was willing to sell his principles out for points money also cheapens his argument massively.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, WestGorton1884 said:

Christ almighty... riders need individual sponsorship to earn a living in the sport !

this “ f*** you get a another part time job” attitude is exactly why British Speedway is on its knees  , 

Belle Vue ‘ RENTRUCK ‘ Aces  have never had this problem telling their riders what they can or can’t have on their Kevlars , so why are Peterborough? .....

I'd imagine the Peterborough sponsors are paying more and on the basis that all of the kits is covered in their name. If they are putting up the cash and it was my team, I would be bending over backwards to keep my sponsors happy if it meant their money was benefitting the long term future of my club.

• Like 1