British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

The issue for me is that this should have been sorted out before now. Its an absolutely ridiculous situation and neither party come out of this well...

• Like 7

Didn't nearly the whole of the Polish top flight go on strike prior to last season due to restrictions on imaging rights. Pretty sure that's why Hancock signed for a third tier club.

Very much a story of two sides, both on the face of it with some merit. Buster has to make the club financially viable, Cook likewise will feel he needs the sponsorship to fund the equipment he has to purchase and maintain himself.

Think for clubs to have total control of sponsors, logos and imaging rights then riders would need to be given a salary and all bikes and mechanics owned and supplied by the clubs to the riders. But that would take a massive swift in ethos. But would make the sport less of a financial gamble to riders, and allow clubs to far better budget having overall control of the major outgoings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

The issue for me is that this should have been sorted out before now. Its an absolutely ridiculous situation and neither party come out of this well...

I would imagine he was given a deadline of p & p day to sign his contract or go.

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

I think Peterborough are in the right on this one. Absolutely 1 million percent club sponsors should take priority over individual riders. Club sponsors and the revenue it creates is what is helping keep clubs afloat at the moment so more and more of that is required. If a rider, in this case Cook, isn't happy about that then go and sign for someone else. The irony is that he has absolutely no sponsors on display now.

No sponsors on display?

I don't think so

2 minutes ago, george.m said:

No sponsors on display?

I don't think so

I think the point was, he now has no team spot in the only televised league in which he was planning to ride, so he won't be giving his sponsors any major exposure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

These team covers work on Poland. Why do riders agree to that but not here. Are they paid for it in Poland????

I’ve done kevlars for a rider to ride in the Elitserien and Polish Nice league this season. When it’s been my turn to do add the sponsors of the rider, most of the suit has been labeled with club logos. Thats how it goes.

Like someone said, riders threatened with a strike a while back in Poland. Also worth remembering that Woffy said a few tears ago that if you sign for Ekstraliga club, you sell your soul...

• Like 1

The club must always come first

No rider is bigger than the club

As far as "image rights" is concerned - good grief, this is British Speedway we're talking about, not some multi-billion pound/dollar concern like Premier League, F1 or all those US "sports"

Get real, Craig Cook and any other rider who believes our sport and the promoters of the club's owe them a superstar living on a par with Lewis Hamilton, etc

All this whilst fans on here bemoan the levels of admission prices!

Does my head in sometimes!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Neil’s was at the show ground this afternoon. Saw him in conversation with buster for quite some time and another fan asked him if he was going to ride for panthers and he just smiled and said he would need a few weeks to get some bikes over here. Let’s just say he didn’t say no 

Looking at the team picture on webpage Charles Wright either has different kevlars or theres an issue with his as hes got green sections on upper arms and it looks like a race bib hes wearing as Panther and sponsor logo are smaller, also Lasse Bjerre has a white panel on right arm so there was room for some personal preferences.

Maybe Cook just didnt want to grow a trendy beard like the other six.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CB252 said:

In no other team sport do the competitors determine what a team kit/uniform looks like, so why should Peterborough speedway be any different?

If a company is pumping money into the club, they want to be the focal point of the team kit.

You always get the hysterical masses that side with the rider in speedway, but the club can't afford to lose a major sponsor by having a rider dictate the design of a team suit.

Looking at the press and practice pics, it's hard to see what his issue was. The fact that he was willing to sell his principles out for points money also cheapens his argument massively.

Any sport that requires similar outlay on equipment so you can participate, leaves the design of the “uniform” and the majority of sponsors there on it, up to the competitor. 

• Like 1

If the logo rule is the same for all 7 and Craig knew that. then it's Cookies fault. If he thought he could stick it out and get his way with Buster,  Not going to happen.

He shouldn't of been declared he wasn't signed though. And it shouldn't of been left so late.

• Like 3

Must have somewhere else lined up surely?

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

These team covers work on Poland. Why do riders agree to that but not here. Are they paid for it in Poland????

Yes