British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

47 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

A deal was in place for the whole league to potentially do it. 

Then Poole, Wolves and Swindon said no way. Too much money for those 3 clubs in sponsor money.

You can add Belle Vue to that list.

8 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

You can add Belle Vue to that list.

I wasn’t sure what BV had said. But shows that clubs are getting more money than buster is getting right now. 

And considering that the 4 clubs that said no are the 4 biggest clubs in the U.K. 

Lasse pushing the boundaries nicely by having a couple of white spaces revealing the actual sponsor text in red.

If and that's a big IF.… Bomber and Cookie were your 2 fav riders and lets say for example you lived in Coventry and decided to buy a Peterborough Season Ticket, now the team has changed significantly would you have grounds to receive a full refund bearing in mind no matches have taken place yet?

To put it into perspective, if you went to a restaurant where you pay upon ordering and order a fillet steak and when you waiter delivers it, it's turned into a vegetarian lasagne, would you not be a little pi$$ed off?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChrisSimpson said:

If and that's a big IF.… Bomber and Cookie were your 2 fav riders and lets say for example you lived in Coventry and decided to buy a Peterborough Season Ticket, now the team has changed significantly would you have grounds to receive a full refund bearing in mind no matches have taken place yet?

To put it into perspective, if you went to a restaurant where you pay upon ordering and order a fillet steak and when you waiter delivers it, it's turned into a vegetarian lasagne, would you not be a little pi$$ed off?

Id imagine that fillet steak would be the restaurants signature dish - quite a good comparison then :lol:

I have the number for a restaurant that will be serving it this year if anyone wants to change their booking :t:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I don't think both Cook or Buster come out looking good in this, but for me, Cook more so in the wrong. 

As Craig was willing to sacrifice his sponsors being black & white for more points money, he just counteracts his argument.

Questions have to be asked to Chapman, and probably were, why's things different for Hans?

Craig does seem to have this mentality that he's some kind of Speedway Superstar. With Buster, he understands how bang average Cook is so would never pay stupid money for him.

I don't think Gomolski will be a bad replacement, he's a different beast to that in 2011.

In one....

So if Buster had paid Cook more money he would have signed a contract and had the sponsors small in black and white... 

He is just a mercenary and only interested in himself, This is nothing about sponsors or letting down his team mates and supporters.

I hope all his existing sponsors haven't signed a contract with him as they get no exposure now whatsoever so withdraw there commitment and he rides for Glasgow only and has a poor season as his equipment is not up to scratch as he has no sponsors... That would be so funny 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ChrisSimpson said:

You’re not comparing like for like. When you buy a season ticket for a team, you know that doesn’t guarantee who will be in the team. 

Injuries, loss of form, or even big payments to ride in Poland can cause a rider to be missing. 

You are paying to see the team. The only comparison to your stack vs lasagne argument would be if you paid to see Peterborough and Kings Lynn were there instead (not to say that won’t happen!)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

You’re not comparing like for like. When you buy a season ticket for a team, you know that doesn’t guarantee who will be in the team. 

Injuries, loss of form, or even big payments to ride in Poland can cause a rider to be missing. 

You are paying to see the team. The only comparison to your stack vs lasagne argument would be if you paid to see Peterborough and Kings Lynn were there instead (not to say that won’t happen!)

I appreciate what you're saying mate, so to give a more specific example and this is only in my case.  IF...…. Tommy Knudsen came out of retirement and signed for a team in the UK, lets say Belle Vue, I'd immediately buy a season ticket to go and watch him race.  However if he didn't end up racing at all for the Aces I'd have no interest whatsoever in going.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

You’re not comparing like for like. When you buy a season ticket for a team, you know that doesn’t guarantee who will be in the team

Unfortunately on the very same day that season ticket details were announced (Thursday December 20, 2018) there was also a news item saying:

PANTHERS 2019 (Team subject to normal BSPA approval): Chris Harris, Hans Andersen (c), Craig Cook, Bradley Wilson-Dean, Charles Wright, Lasse Bjerre, Ben Barker.

So no it doesn't guarantee but you'd expect that to be what you paid for unless there is a good clear reason why not.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Unfortunately on the very same day that season ticket details were announced (Thursday December 20, 2018) there was also a news item saying:

PANTHERS 2019 (Team subject to normal BSPA approval): Chris Harris, Hans Andersen (c), Craig Cook, Bradley Wilson-Dean, Charles Wright, Lasse Bjerre, Ben Barker.

So no it doesn't guarantee but you'd expect that to be what paid for unless there is a good clear reason why not.

I think this would be a good one for Judge Rinder to rule on - and as a side note look at the free publicity the sport would get and on a mainstream TV Channel too!   Ok it might well turn out to be bad publicity but according to some there is no such thing - only publicity! 

• Thanks 1

I don't think either side come out of this too well, but to be fair to Cook there's plenty of suggestions here that he was willing to sacrifice sponsors for more points money when he hasn't said that at all. He wanted that increased when his sponsor pulled out because they couldn't advertise in the area they wanted, I don't see a problem with him asking for that but equally understand why Chapman has said no if that takes him over budget.

• Like 3

All riders are self employed so, just like anyone else self employed, they should really be allowed to dictate their own terms when they take on 'a job'..

If the person booking them doesn't agree with those terms requested then they are then at liberty to look elsewhere and offer the work to someone else who is OK with the package on offer..

Likewise, if the person seeking the contract isn't happy with the T's and C's of what is expected of him, then he is free to walk away without signing the contract and taking the job..

This just once again shows how difficult it is to shoe horn an individual sport into a team framework..

It costs a lot of money to set yourself up for a season of Speedway so personal sponsorship is paramount..

But it also costs a lot of money to run a Speedway Team, so team sponsorship is also paramount..

Maybe this is a way of wrestling some of the perceived control away from the riders to help facilitate further changes and cost reductions....?

"Unfortunately we cannot reach an agreement, thanks for your time, NEXT PLEASE"..

And as we know, there always seems to be 'someone', from 'somewhere' to gratefully take up the vacated positions...

And increasing the supply of riders willing to ride for "take it or leave it" terms can only decrease outgoings to the clubs, which in the long run probably won't be a bad thing for the sport....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

The above is spot on, its been long overdue that the clubs should be dictating the deals on offer and if riders choose to accept what is offered or not that is their prerogative. Riders are not bigger than clubs and Craig was clearly trying to get the club to change the policy just for him. Should he have been announced prior to a contract being signed no which is wrong from both sides but Cook has effectively allowed himself to be left out as he didn't secure a deal a P'bora have to find a late replacement. Its just another in the long line of saga's that follow CC around and will likely continue until he has upset every club or drastically re-evaluates how much he thinks he is worth.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

What actually is the going rate for a GP failed rider ?  Batcholar kind of numbers I guess.

So Cook has Glasgow and what else on in Sweden and Poland ?  

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

riders are self employed so, just like anyone else self employed, they should really be allowed to dictate their own terms when they take on 'a job'..

Not sure I agree Mike I employ subcontractors on a self employed basis and they wear my livery on their vans, my logos on their hard hats, my hi vis jackets with my company name on,  my uniforms on their backs... they are branded up as my employees whilst they are working for me as I am paying their wages after all...

Why should I be dictated to? If I didn't have the work they wouldn't have a job... of course they could always go and work for someone else but you can't have the tail wagging the dog? Or can You?

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 5