British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

Apologies for asking the bleeping obvious, but how come, after the Cook business, the Peterborough team picture ( with 6 riders) has 5 riders in their rule-compliant team kevlars, plus Charles Wright who is clearly not in them but is wearing his own set?

16 hours ago, maneacat said:

Don’t think he can - there is no one out there - not as clever as he thinks he is - only Cookie and Chris Holder that I can think of and he fell Out with both of them!  

Saviour of British  speedway and Clubs?   He’s got his work cut out with this one.  

And bearing in mind that first night is one of the best crowds of the season as supporters old and new test the ground then this fell well short both on and off track, and complete entertainment package it certainly wasn't. I don't think that we'll be seeing this too often,

Chapman said: “We had a good crowd and I’m pleased about that.

Fortunately visiting fans might swell the future numbers to give some comfort but that will probably mask the underlying damage being done.

My take was that it started well pre-meeting with PA at nice level without bloody irritatingly loud pit interviews booming out, then the Peas played as a welcome bikes at the start introduction returned. After that is was all downhill with a team, on first look, I wouldn't particularly cross the road to watch, 15 heats of basically, gate, 1st turn and fill in your programme and a distincly flat atmosphere, not uncommon over the last few years, especially since airhorns went AWOL.

Is that a bit too much after one meeting :D

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

Apologies for asking the bleeping obvious, but how come, after the Cook business, the Peterborough team picture ( with 6 riders) has 5 riders in their rule-compliant team kevlars, plus Charles Wright who is clearly not in them but is wearing his own set?

Charles, left his at home for P+P, he had them for the meeting against Belle Vue.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Why does anyone live in Peterborough? :)

Its the only place in the UK with a speedway team thats run in the same manner as a soap opera its pure comedy gold!!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Was the problem with the track that Chapman had done what he does at Kings Lynn and made it too grippy? We know from experience at the NSS that with the current bikes a grippy track produces fast but processional racing. That is why the NSS is not prepared that way and why it produces the excellent racing we are privileged to witness.

I always used to rate King's Lynn in my top 3 tracks re GB.

However in recent years the racing has seriously deteriorated to such an extent that I cannot be bothered going there anymore.

Five me good racing and I do not mind how far the track is, I will go

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Was the problem with the track that Chapman had done what he does at Kings Lynn and made it too grippy? We know from experience at the NSS that with the current bikes a grippy track produces fast but processional racing. That is why the NSS is not prepared that way and why it produces the excellent racing we are privileged to witness.

No the track wasn't too grippy, it was the smoothest and most consistent it has been for many years and as such produced racing where very few mistakes were made.

The problem for Panthers was that Belle Vue had a very good top two who got out the starts better and were not going to be caught easily from there. The starts were a bit different from press and practise so the home riders had to adapt a bit more there, but generally Belle vue were better from the start and didn't make mistakes. If Lasse had scored 4 point panthers would have won the meeting, but hey don't let that stop the doom and gloom merchants from predicting the end of the world. They are a heat leader and 3 points short, which is a shame because Charles will score like a heat leader at home all year, and coming from 2nd string that's where the strength is.

Over the next few weeks I reckon Panthers will look for a permanent replacement at heatleader. During this time they can have a look at the bottom 3 and see who is performing best 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KIRKYLANE said:

I always used to rate King's Lynn in my top 3 tracks re GB.

However in recent years the racing has seriously deteriorated to such an extent that I cannot be bothered going there anymore.

Five me good racing and I do not mind how far the track is, I will go

Sums up speedways decline in a nutshell

think you forgot to add on what a normal fit bewley would have scored ? and a bad night for wells like bjerre so really you wouldn't have won !! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

think you forgot to add on what a normal fit bewley would have scored ? and a bad night for wells like bjerre so really you wouldn't have won !! 

Lots of ifs and maybe,s at this time of the season but Championships are won at the end of the season not April.

A long long way to go and I dare say many changes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Lynn is too grippy because of stock car shale. No stocks at Peterborough so they have proper dirt. 

Opening meetings are rarely the best barometer for quality of racing especially if one team has plenty of heat wins and several lasts too. They are generally for getting back into the swing of things and ridding both man and machine of cobwebs. 

If the speedway is still processional after a few more meetings then there may well be other questions to be asked. 

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Lots of ifs and maybe,s at this time of the season but Championships are won at the end of the season not April.

A long long way to go and I dare say many changes.

for you yes !! not for us we will only get better !!

Chapman saying we are 1 rider short is hardly rocket science. Don't release a rider 5 days before the season starts !!!

• Like 3

On 2 April 2019 at 12:39 PM, IronScorpion said:

It is/was to eliminate doubling up in our leagues but we now have Sweden, main race night Tuesday, racing on Thursdays & in Poland(even last year), main race day Sunday, racing on Fridays & Saturdays.

We know where the riders will be, where the money is!

What's the going rate paid to a team for letting their riders miss a scheduled British meeting?

Wasnt it reported that a team got circa £20k from a Polish team a while back? 

If that was true, I would be amazed if winning any domestic competition in the UK would win you (or bring in through increased support) anywhere near that amount, so well worth from a business perspective coming to the odd agreement I am sure..

Go a long way to paying off some bills would that...

And the die hard fans, (who make up the vast majority of a speedway teams fan base) will turn up anyway so no real loss of revenue...

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

What's the going rate paid to a team for letting their riders miss a scheduled British meeting?

Wasnt it reported that a team got circa £20k from a Polish team a while back? 

If that was true, I would be amazed if winning any domestic competition in the UK would win you (or bring in through increased support) anywhere near that amount, so well worth from a business perspective coming to the odd agreement I am sure..

Go a long way to paying off some bills would that...

And the die hard fans, (who make up the vast majority of a speedway teams fan base) will turn up anyway so no real loss of revenue...

peterboro did it with jack holder 2 years ago !!