British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

I agree Baggy, but it is what it is.  Tungate is a decent replacement for on the wain Harris.  The Cook situation can’t be laid at Buster’s door as a contract hadn’t been signed so he was never a P’Boro rider to lose.  At what point did Ged or Neil make it public that Cook had not signed for the Club ?  To my limited knowledge they didn’t.   So was that Busty’s fault as well ?

Chapman gets a lot of krap on this forum, and plenty of it maybe justified.  Just don’t see what he has done that wrong on this one

He will always get grief, don’t think it bothers him in the slughtest though. I agree, some is justified and some not. 

Tungate probably no worse than Bomber scoring wise but a big difference in excitement value.

28 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

He will always get grief, don’t think it bothers him in the slughtest though. I agree, some is justified and some not. 

Tungate probably no worse than Bomber scoring wise but a big difference in excitement value.

I wouldn't take too much from Tungate's performance on Monday, which certainly want bad. He is not as good as Fricke or Bjerre but neither is Harris.

Tungate was one of the most exciting riders to watch at the NSS. Give him a well prepared track  with various racing lines and I'm sure he will soon win the fans round. He can sometimes struggle on small tracks, particularly Wolverhampton but my bet is that this season he will average about the same or better than Bomber.

• Like 1

Buster should pull the plug at Peterbro' now and let the moaners stew     But then there will be no Speedway this year   or any year .   Which will be unfair on the true supporters

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Buster should pull the plug at Peterbro' now and let the moaners stew     But then there will be no Speedway this year   or any year .   Which will be unfair on the true supporters

Yet another cracking thought provoking post from Scrutton. A bite on a Thursday, good effort :rolleyes:

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

How about Cook going to Wolves with Nicholls returning to Boro'

Cook average is too high for Wolves. It’s higher than Thorssell and Nichols who he is replacing.

So that’s impossible. The only riders Cook could replace at Wolves would be Masters or Schlein and we are more than happy with that thanks.

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

I wouldn't take too much from Tungate's performance on Monday, which certainly want bad. He is not as good as Fricke or Bjerre but neither is Harris.

Tungate was one of the most exciting riders to watch at the NSS. Give him a well prepared track  with various racing lines and I'm sure he will soon win the fans round. He can sometimes struggle on small tracks, particularly Wolverhampton but my bet is that this season he will average about the same or better than Bomber.

Absolutely. Peterborough in my opinion are slightly stronger for that change. Obviously losing cook has a meant a reshuffle in riding order and that will cause them some pain. Whilst I don't think Craig is a number 1 in this league, it's a massive loss for Peterborough. To stand any chance of the play offs they need to find a decent replacement which will put lasse back at reserve.

If I were them I'd also keep summers for Barker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Scrutton said:

There would be no domestic UK racing on TV but "league" racing would continue with six teams. If you could call it a league. Unless Buster goes bankrupt or his backers pull out he won't be pulling the plug on any of his clubs, I feel sure of that. Catastrophic failure is not his cup of tea.

To be fair to Chapman doing what he has done has meant BT stay involved and the Sport still has a 'top league'...

One big league may one day manifest itself but currently there are either not enough riders to do it of the required level, or there may be enough riders for say, five man teams, but then there wouldn't be enough meetings for them to make the money they need out of the sport..

Hence two pro leagues keeps these riders with two jobs and therefore justifying their outlay..

Something I am sure Buster knew needed to happen in the short term, before maybe embarking on a longer term strategy..

He also knew that clubs needed to start lowering their outlay on riders, something he can now control in three clubs at least, and even if all finish bottom three, the best of them will be fifth, just outside the play offs, and the second of them will have only been two places away from the play offs so not a bad season overall....!!!:)

Taking the race to the bottom re salaries out of the equation is a major plus point if he can do it...

Winning any of British Speedway Comps is pretty much of no real value from either the recognition kudos or the financial rewards available, so a period of lowering outlay and bringing some stability might just be what the Sport needs to evolve its operating model and business plan  into something more fit for purpose....?

Which may one day deliver recognition kudos and financial rewards..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, proud panther said:

Chapman saying we are 1 rider short is hardly rocket science. Don't release a rider 5 days before the season starts !!!

Chapman/Peterborough didn't release a rider 5 days before the season started. Said rider, refused to sign a contract and walked out 5 days before the start of the season! :rolleyes:

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Was going to say the same, Tungate and Harris probably similar stats wise, but you’d watch Harris over Tungate all day long. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, proud panther said:

Chapman saying we are 1 rider short is hardly rocket science. Don't release a rider 5 days before the season starts !!!

Indeed, I thought chucking Harris out was bad enough but to kick Craig out on the eve of the season was madness even by Busters standards. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ouch said:

Indeed, I thought chucking Harris out was bad enough but to kick Craig out on the eve of the season was madness even by Busters standards. 

He wasn't chucked out though , Cook chose not to sign.

• Like 2

I'm not no Buster fan but the situation at Peterborough was caused initially by Rathbone over budgeting and Cook's sulking and greed.

As for Tungate being better than a spiralling Harris is laughable. Harris is a good team player and when the chips are down he can pull something out the bag. Tungate is just one of those steady rider's nobody talks about. Beat nobody of significance against Belle Vue whereas Harris would of likely won at least one of those heats.

Harris every time over Tungate.

• Like 1

It’s amazing how riders after all these years suddenly become greedy when dealing with Chapman. Weird. 

• Like 2