British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

2 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Are you talking about the air fence or the wooden fence thats been there for years surrounding the track

The air fence, although I a,m not sure the wooden fence is not the property of the Speedway also as arguably there would be no need for it otherwise. Don't forget Speedway has been there for 50 plus years

I’m pretty sure Peterborough speedway own the wooden fence, hence why buster has said he is going to re build some/all of it in the off season. As much as people dislike him. Without him we wouldn’t be seeing any speedway at Peterborough 

19 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

I’m pretty sure Peterborough speedway own the wooden fence, hence why buster has said he is going to re build some/all of it in the off season. As much as people dislike him. Without him we wouldn’t be seeing any speedway at Peterborough 

Not sure this is actually true as  Ged after many changes of heart had said  that he would run Panthers in Premier League.

Didn't the showground pay for the lights to be moved when it was deemed they were far to close to the fence,  i think it was after Craig Featherby was killed in a track crash at the showground, i know the new lights came from Hackney/London who paid for them and to be erected also

In years gone by the track or "main ring" was used for many other events especially during the east of england show, the fence has always been there since i first went in 1972 but when you take into consideration the pits it does seem logical to belong to the speedway as a fixture and fitting was it not also painted by volunteers with paint supplied by contraband

I see the panthers have yet another new fruitcake,,, and spurs fan,,,, well we never.  Ain't said nothing all summer, now won't shut up, whilst another version of him has gone missing. Same mo Everytime. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I see the panthers have yet another new fruitcake,,, and spurs fan,,,, well we never.  Ain't said nothing all summer, now won't shut up, whilst another version of him has gone missing. Same mo Everytime. 

Most Spurs fans are fruitcakes in my experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

I'm offended by that comment. I'm normal, realistic and permanently disappointed!

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

Wouldn't have a clue, football is not something I have any interest in

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Gotta be in it to win it :P

Still contenders rather than also rans at this point :D

childish comment oh don't forget we are in a final you won't be !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Didn't the showground pay for the lights to be moved when it was deemed they were far to close to the fence,  i think it was after Craig Featherby was killed in a track crash at the showground, i know the new lights came from Hackney/London who paid for them and to be erected also

In years gone by the track or "main ring" was used for many other events especially during the east of england show, the fence has always been there since i first went in 1972 but when you take into consideration the pits it does seem logical to belong to the speedway as a fixture and fitting was it not also painted by volunteers with paint supplied by contraband

Current floodlights were installed by the speedway club. They ran a season long raffle to raise funds with Jason Crump's race suit being the top prize. 1999?  

Edited by Noodles

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

I'm offended by that comment. I'm normal, realistic and permanently disappointed!

I thought you were a reasonably intelligent human being too. Ah well that's another preconception dashed!!

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

childish comment oh don't forget we are in a final you won't be !!

You deserve all you get after trapping off earlier in the season. Several people told you Belle Vue wouldn’t finish in the top four and so it proved. Might be worth being a little more humble next time. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Baldyman said:

And he won’t disappear  until people learn to completely ignore him and his posts.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Time for one league; make the second division a true second league rather than a pseudo premiership; make the multiplier 3 for doubling up/down riders and no one in the top league with an average above 4 in the preceding season to be available for doubling up/down the next and reset this each year then you will have enough riders to go around; meaning anyone achieving a top league average of 4.01 or more can not race in the second tier the following season until their average comes back down to 4.00 or lower.

Back in the day (sorry to hark back) the likes of Tom Owen and Joe Owen were 6 and 7 at Hull yet top riders in the second tier, then when Joe kicked on he stayed in the top league, Tom came back down. Carl Stonehewer was another who was in this position. Over 40 plus riders used from the 2nd tier this year doubling up and still over 30 in there now and teams with six championship riders and one  high profile name in them so for all intents and purposes a championship side. (its a joke really) Especially when there are only 7 teams in the top league meaning they only require 49 riders...

The current sides in the Championship should have the option to come up or stay in a reformed league 2 made up from current NDL sides and anyone who does not want to go up in to the top tier with a far stricter rule for doubling up/down. Get the young kids starting out as the key doubling up riders those who are 2nd strings at best but usually starting out in the reserve positions. The gap between the top two leagues is blurred to say the least.

We can't compete with the wages in Poland so we struggle to attract the top riders for the top league although we do see some very good competitive racing in both leagues with the guys we have; however we need to concentrate on our own leagues and what will work in this country with what we have available and stuff anyone else; The NDL and junior leagues should be just that for developing junior riders IMHO and the issue is; there isn't currently enough clarity between the top two leagues and riders are driving the terms and conditions (especially the ones doubling up) rather than the promoters and teams setting up the structures that support the sides in the league they are in rather than the riders. Workington gone, Berwick Edinburgh Newcastle Sheffield and Redcar must all be feeling the pinch because having been to all these venues this season the crowds have looked down on previous years visits (although Scunthorpe's crowd looked healthier than I have ever seen it?). Time for radical changes not tinkering around the edges

But its always been the same and I cant seeing it changing if I am totally honest

Regards
THJ

All clear and obvious points and opportunities..

But as you say, no chance of anything changing...

I do actually think that they probably do realise that their operating model and business plan is crap, but, bless them, they are simply incapable of doing anything about it to radically develop the sport...

Hence we will have the same old, same old next season, and the season after, and the season after etc etc, until it all eventually becomes not worth doing as one by one the tracks disappear..

It has simply two clear options..

One. To do a 'Poland' and go balls out to attract the best in the hope fans will come back to the sport. (personally not a chance in hell they could deliver this)..

Or Two. Set clear demarcation between two leagues where reaching the highest level is aspirational, with one being a mix of a few professional (but in the main), semi professional competitors, and the other being very much a development league to help supply the top tier over the long term. With all meetings ran when punters can get there not around when riders can fit it in their non UK schedule..

To keep doing the same thing again though surely isn't an option even to those currently doing it?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

If this is aimed at me you can think of me what you like, I’m only saying what has been said to a group of us that watch the speedway from the pits, along with people who have an input into running the club :)