British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

20 minutes ago, Lukas said:

I know I'm gonna get slaughtered for this but whatever league we are in I would personally would get Ulrich signed up for next season with the scores he's banging in now with the average he is on.

True. No thanks.

9 hours ago, Crump99 said:

True. No thanks.

Why the hate on Oystercard?

I havent been the most regular visitor to the showground the last year or so (for many reasons) - but personally I would prefer a team made up of riders that want to ride for the club and that I, as a supporter, have an affinity to...

I know who Ostergaard is, I know who Simon lambert is - both have been part of the squad for a number of years and allow me to keep some kind of attachment to the team...

I know this is likely to sound very flower power - but going all out to win the league clearly isnt bringing the supporters in...

There is something fundamental missing from Speedway compared to when I went as a youngster, and that is the connection between the fans and the guys on the track. Team speedway in this country feels like the biggest load of rubbish anyone has ever tried to sell me, then you go and tear the team up every year! I've only just worked out who everyone was...

If I look back to when I went as a kid, names like Mick Poole, Ryan Sullivan, Sam Tesar... you could happily call them all "Peterborough Riders"... these days I find myself caring less and less about looking at the team in the program as it doesnt really matter... its just a bunch of blokes riding for themselves in one of our race suits...

So here is my really unpopular oppinion - Give me Ostergaard and Lambert next year - I dont care if we win meetings, these guys will go out and give it 100% every time because they WANT to ride for Panthers. Build a team full of guys that WANT to ride for YOUR TEAM and watch the affinity grow again between them and the supporters.

Ultimately - what are we supporting? Because right now it feels that as a "Panthers Fan" I am just cheering a mythical name that bears no resemblance to anything, year in year out. I'm just one of a depleating number of fans that support Speedway and go to Panthers because its local.

Edited by Method
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Method said:

Why the hate on Oystercard?

I havent been the most regular visitor to the showground the last year or so (for many reasons) - but personally I would prefer a team made up of riders that want to ride for the club and that I, as a supporter, have an affinity to...

I know who Ostergaard is, I know who Simon lambert is - both have been part of the squad for a number of years and allow me to keep some kind of attachment to the team...

I know this is likely to sound very flower power - but going all out to win the league clearly isnt bringing the supporters in...

There is something fundamental missing from Speedway compared to when I went as a youngster, and that is the connection between the fans and the guys on the track. Team speedway in this country feels like the biggest load of rubbish anyone has ever tried to sell me, then you go and tear the team up every year! I've only just worked out who everyone was...

If I look back to when I went as a kid, names like Mick Poole, Ryan Sullivan, Sam Tesar... you could happily call them all "Peterborough Riders"... these days I find myself caring less and less about looking at the team in the program as it doesnt really matter... its just a bunch of blokes riding for themselves in one of our race suits...

So here is my really unpopular oppinion - Give me Ostergaard and Lambert next year - I dont care if we win meetings, these guys will go out and give it 100% every time because they WANT to ride for Panthers. Build a team full of guys that WANT to ride for YOUR TEAM and watch the affinity grow again between them and the supporters.

Ultimately - what are we supporting? Because right now it feels that as a "Panthers Fan" I am just cheering a mythical name that bears no resemblance to anything, year in year out. I'm just one of a depleating number of fans that support Speedway and go to Panthers because its local.

Don't usually take the bait but the week is early, I can't remember the last time that we were not told that this is the team that we wanted and they all want to ride for Panthers. On Dec 20 last year I'm sure that management and fans felt that way then. What we've been supporting is the mess that emanated from that time. If Ostrich and Lambert is the answer then I'm buggered if I know what the question is.

1 minute ago, Crump99 said:

Don't usually take the bait but the week is early, I can't remember the last time that we were not told that this is the team that we wanted and they all want to ride for Panthers. On Dec 20 last year I'm sure that management and fans felt that way then. What we've been supporting is the mess that emanated from that time. If Ostrich and Lambert is the answer then I'm buggered if I know what the question is.

The ‘mess’ dates back to mid January when the team Ged and I proudly unveiled in December started to be dismantled by the new owner. 

http://www.peterborough-speedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.3560

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

The ‘mess’ dates back to mid January when the team Ged and I proudly unveiled in December started to be dismantled by the new owner. 

Think many Peterborough fans would love to ask why then was the Cook signing announced only later for it to be announced he hadnt signed a contract and wasnt riding for the team now. 

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Dont take it the wrong way, im not trying to bait anyone (nor am i just an alias to cause irritation like others here).

I remember one of the "winter of discontent" meetings at the showground where we were told "we only want riders who want to ride for us", good idea IMO - more of that please!

Im kind of fed up of supporting a bunch of individuals who have no real interest in the clubs they are riding for. An unfair generalisation I know, but it is how it comes across to me.

I want to see a team built around a steady core, each year. I appreciate the whole average and team building limit side of things, but if you can retain 4/5 of your 1-7 each year then that works for me. If averages increase then they move up into the main body of the team and you just have a little less to spend on your reserves - great, go scout the development leagues and bring in some fresh talent for the experience. Invest in him / her for a few seasons and you can probably retain the bulk of your 1-7 for a few years without team building problems.

Honestly I love the idea of seeing the Jason Crumps flying around the showground - but what I want more is a team I can relate to.

And the question? To me its the obvious question that all clubs should be asking over the winter - "What will the supporters pay to see?"...

Edited by Method
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

I'm well aware all of the detail in the public domain.

That says "It is common that with new ownership (of the club) comes a different business model"

yet in November Chapman said that he was investing in Peterborough and “Everything stays the same at Ipswich and Peterborough with their management continuing to run the clubs." - no mention of new business model or finances so one assumes that you were working within an agreed business model and the goalposts moved or the mess did indeed start in December with crossed wires and communication problems.

Edited by Crump99

6 hours ago, Method said:

Dont take it the wrong way, im not trying to bait anyone (nor am i just an alias to cause irritation like others here).

I remember one of the "winter of discontent" meetings at the showground where we were told "we only want riders who want to ride for us", good idea IMO - more of that please!

Im kind of fed up of supporting a bunch of individuals who have no real interest in the clubs they are riding for. An unfair generalisation I know, but it is how it comes across to me.

I want to see a team built around a steady core, each year. I appreciate the whole average and team building limit side of things, but if you can retain 4/5 of your 1-7 each year then that works for me. If averages increase then they move up into the main body of the team and you just have a little less to spend on your reserves - great, go scout the development leagues and bring in some fresh talent for the experience. Invest in him / her for a few seasons and you can probably retain the bulk of your 1-7 for a few years without team building problems.

Honestly I love the idea of seeing the Jason Crumps flying around the showground - but what I want more is a team I can relate to.

And the question? To me its the obvious question that all clubs should be asking over the winter - "What will the supporters pay to see?"...

Sounds like testing the water and see the reaction. It's been an interesting year so lets go backwards again. Should have read the T&Cs of Rathbone's 5 year plan regarding year 6.

Edited by Crump99

5 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

And how many of the team you and Ged had proudly assembled had actually signed a Peterborough 2019 contract by mid January.

5 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Many would agree , but as  others rightly point out the team you presented had in many cases not signed contracts. I would like to know why this was so, and what changed so fundamentally since our conversation at supporters  quiz  pre season.

Nobody can as yet be bothered to start a thread on tomorrows meeting  v Wolves , and neither can I. However Mr Johnson says he hopes  the fans will go away happy. The only way we will go away happy is an assurance that Panthers will run next season and in the Top Flight whatever that may be.

Talk of eight team top league with Eurosport instead of BT,  if so Buster must be looking to run Peterborough in the top league again and no doubt with him buying another club 

50 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Nobody can as yet be bothered to start a thread on tomorrows meeting  v Wolves , and neither can I. However Mr Johnson says he hopes  the fans will go away happy. The only way we will go away happy is an assurance that Panthers will run next season and in the Top Flight whatever that may be.

You really wanna be in the top league after the train wreck of this season..id be happy to drop back down with a new owner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lukas said:

You really wanna be in the top league after the train wreck of this season..id be happy to drop back down with a new owner.

Bad management and bad luck has nothing to do with the top league. Given the time limited life for speedway at the EoES who's going to buy out Chapman? If running speedway at the EoES is like chucking money down the bog then who's going to invest knowing that the initial investmest isn't coming back either?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1