British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2019

We did not want several tons of shale, we did not want track records broken every week, we did not necessarily want to win the league . We wanted a team that we could be proud of and had half a chance of winning most home meetings. We certainly did not want to be the loss leaders of the Chapman master plan and possibly suffer the consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I had a look at the Showground exhibition today and the initial plans look to build houses where the Speedway track currently is. However, they say that this will be starting in 2023 at the earliest. I think that is ambitious and there is clearly much concern from local residents about the existing infrastructure of the surrounding area and the effect 600 new homes will have. This could drag on quite a while.

On the plus side, the local councillor was on local radio this afternoon and was adamant that any plans must involve keeping the Speedway Heritage in Peterborough (her words not mine). She was very committed in that Speedway is not overlooked, I was surprised, I didn’t know she was a fan. She was at the exhibition and I made myself known to her. She explained that there was a Local Planning order number 30 that requires any sporting activities (she said such as the Speedway) must be relocated before the existing site can be demolished and that she would be vigorously making sure this is followed. I was very impressed with her.

Alas we all know and probably have experienced how developers and planners can operate, but I am confident our local councillor is going to be on the case for Speedway, which in all honesty is probably a lot better than I thought it would be at this early stage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

So I had a look at the Showground exhibition today and the initial plans look to build houses where the Speedway track currently is. However, they say that this will be starting in 2023 at the earliest. I think that is ambitious and there is clearly much concern from local residents about the existing infrastructure of the surrounding area and the effect 600 new homes will have. This could drag on quite a while.

On the plus side, the local councillor was on local radio this afternoon and was adamant that any plans must involve keeping the Speedway Heritage in Peterborough (her words not mine). She was very committed in that Speedway is not overlooked, I was surprised, I didn’t know she was a fan. She was at the exhibition and I made myself known to her. She explained that there was a Local Planning order number 30 that requires any sporting activities (she said such as the Speedway) must be relocated before the existing site can be demolished and that she would be vigorously making sure this is followed. I was very impressed with her.

Alas we all know and probably have experienced how developers and planners can operate, but I am confident our local councillor is going to be on the case for Speedway, which in all honesty is probably a lot better than I thought it would be at this early stage.

Seems encouraging  , but we have heard all this before and usually developers get their way.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Ah brilliant, well done! Thats about as much as we can hope for at this stage.

For anyone who didnt manage to make the exhibition yesterday, you can view the boards they had setup here: https://www.eastofengland.org.uk/2019/09/19/future-vision/

18 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Seems encouraging  , but we have heard all this before and usually developers get their way.

In what way is that encouraging Rodders? I'll give it 2 seasons before it starts to turn into a building site and we have to hope that we're still running and the promise of alternative arrangements are honoured, but surely if there were other options around then we'd have left the EoES years ago anyway. Does that mean we'll have to find a new piece of land and start from scratch? Can't recall that working out too well anywhere else. We can only hope that things don't progress as smoothly and quickly as that plan indicates. As you say though, when developers are involved, hit the panic button.

Only encouraging in so far as council have said that alternative home must be found for Speedway. however developers normally find a way to get round these things with promises and assurances that do not materialize.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Only encouraging in so far as council have said that alternative home must be found for Speedway. however developers normally find a way to get round these things with promises and assurances that do not materialize.

It's all pie in the sky through isn't it. Who's going to finance the building of a new stadium for 500 people. The same thing was said by John Davis at the last ever meeting at Reading back in 2008.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

It's all pie in the sky through isn't it. Who's going to finance the building of a new stadium for 500 people. The same thing was said by John Davis at the last ever meeting at Reading back in 2008.

Unfortunately you are right

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Possibly. Possibly not. There are several parcels of land owned by the Showground right next to the A1 that do not look like they are going to be developed, after all houses next to the A1 would be a tough sell, all of these would be big enough for a Speedway track. Perhaps being a charitable organisation they will do the right thing. Perhaps not.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, Crump99 said:

Mork calling Hodgy, are you there Hodgy!

Having said that, wasn't the parking charge started when Bratters and Horton were in post to cover the club's SRBF contribution? One wonders if that's where it ended up then or where it ends up these days? I'm sure Bratters will correct me if I'm wrong :D

Oh please shut it Mindy. It’s getting very boring.  You know my gripe. Basically rip people, because they can. This is not a successful  business model, and proved so. 

2 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Oh please shut it Mindy. It’s getting very boring.  You know my gripe. Basically rip people, because they can. This is not a successful  business model, and proved so. 

Travel firms use it every school break and hotels close to any event use it etc etc, people gripe but pay it so it's par for the course.

Edited by Crump99

12 hours ago, proud panther said:

The greyhound stadium is the only possible alternative venue in my opinion, & that's very unlikely.

No chance of that being a built up area residents would soon be up in arms.

See the outstanding  Wolves v Peterborough Supporters cup fixture is planned for Sunday October 13th three weeks after the final was run, any bets on the number of guests on show if its run at all.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

No chance of that being a built up area residents would soon be up in arms.

Thought that I read somewhere that we looked at that location (think that there was a moto ball fixture there with the likes of R.Greer participating) when we first started but there were noise issues then so we ended up at the EoES.

Shame that Mick Horton's Fengate motorsports complex (remember the ET splash and plans) never got off the ground, we wouldn't be having this conversation.