British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

Just now, Danny Connor said:

This may be a purchasing to safeguard until a different buyer comes in? Like Leicester. He may have just saved the premier league by doing this with ipswich and Peterborough.

Just like Terry Russell did when he owned Swindon and Eastbourne and put his bruvver in at arena. 

• Like 1

So that true Suffolk link has now gone. No longer in the safe hands of someone who understands what the witches have been all about. The Louis’s have finally sold out which is no great surprise but a sad day for Suffolk speedway. Anyone’s guess as to how long the witches will survive but the reality is that something will have to give sooner rather than later. Three teams owned by the same person and possible dwindling support with sporadic schedule of meetings. It does not address the issues that Louis spoke about in the interview in the EADT. He really came across as someone who wanted to see change but is this the right  one for the long term future of the witches. Time will tell whether this is the right move.

2 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

This may be a purchasing to safeguard until a different buyer comes in? Like Leicester. He may have just saved the premier league by doing this with ipswich and Peterborough.

Good point. To keep the premiership going Chapman needed teams to bring the numbers up. Maybe Louis and Rathbone just said you want us to move up then by us out. 

1 minute ago, Hawk127 said:

So that true Suffolk link has now gone. No longer in the safe hands of someone who understands what the witches have been all about. The Louis’s have finally sold out which is no great surprise but a sad day for Suffolk speedway. Anyone’s guess as to how long the witches will survive but the reality is that something will have to give sooner rather than later. Three teams owned by the same person and possible dwindling support with sporadic schedule of meetings. It does not address the issues that Louis spoke about in the interview in the EADT. He really came across as someone who wanted to see change but is this the right  one for the long term future of the witches. Time will tell whether this is the right move.

We have often been led to believe that the Witches are in safe hands, perhaps things have been a struggle behind the scenes along with countless other clubs that from the outside appear to be in serious financial trouble. Maybe this is why Chapman is hoovering up clubs. It maybe that several promotions were threatening to throw in the towel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I agree. Louis interview the other week seemed to suggest that he wanted to see change for the better and to oversee that change. Which to be honest has been my impression of him ever since he took over from his dad.

However if he has got to the point that he can't see  those changes happening and he knows he can't influence the inner workings of the BSPA then who can blame him for selling up while the the club had some value. 

9 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Don't think you'll need to worry. With great sponsors maybe a deal has been done with the Tru7 Group.

Ipswich sponsored by Tippers R Us

Peterborough by Trucks R Us

King's Lynn by Tru Plant 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Someone else owns the club so Louis’s word are pretty hollow. It is irrelevant how long you know someone, Chapman will do what is best for HIS business. If the change brings back overseas riders such as the Poles to Ipswich and also provides weekly speedway than that is fine, a possible step in the right direction but what chances of both happening. Will the local East of England clubs also run NL teams or development teams?  Has anyone of these characters ever considered the thoughts of supporters? This move simply shows how vunerable the league is with two clubs dropping out and no one else willingly seeking to join the top tier. What price the survival of this league. Surely this is not answer to the state that speedway finds itself in. I give it a year before it finally implodes.

12 local Derby’s plus 6 Poole visits should keep  Buster’ head above water 

7 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Someone else owns the club so Louis’s word are pretty hollow. It is irrelevant how long you know someone, Chapman will do what is best for HIS business. If the change brings back overseas riders such as the Poles to Ipswich and also provides weekly speedway than that is fine, a possible step in the right direction but what chances of both happening. Will the local East of England clubs also run NL teams or development teams?  Has anyone of these characters ever considered the thoughts of supporters? This move simply shows how vunerable the league is with two clubs dropping out and no one else willingly seeking to join the top tier. What price the survival of this league. Surely this is not answer to the state that speedway finds itself in. I give it a year before it finally implodes.

Perhaps the BSPA and Theresa May should go into partnership, trying to sell dead ducks!

15 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

There’s more than meets the eye here and we’ll probably never know what has happened behind the scenes. There was certainly no inkling recently when Louis gave that interview to Mike Bacon only a few weeks ago, that anything like this was in the pipeline. 

It’s all a bit strange and I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. The move up I wanted and I’m pleased from that point of view, but the sale is not something I was expecting Louis to even contemplate and it’s made me very nervous. 

We all know Louis lives and breathes Ipswich Speedway, just like us supporters. But it’s now not his club, not his important decisions to make, and not his decisions to make on our future. That’s all now in the hands of a fella from Norfolk :unsure:

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There’s more than meets the eye here and we’ll probably never know what has happened behind the scenes. There was certainly no inkling recently when Louis gave that interview to Mike Bacon only a few weeks ago, that anything like this was in the pipeline. 

It’s all a bit strange and I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. The move up I wanted and I’m pleased from that point of view, but the sale is not something I was expecting Louis to even contemplate and it’s made me very nervous. 

We all know Louis lives and breathes Ipswich Speedway, just like us supporters. But it’s now not his club, not his important decisions to make, and not his decisions to make on our future. That’s all now in the hands of a fella from Norfolk :unsure:

I agree, it is time to worry and when you look back and see at times his body language last season and take for example when riders refuse to take to the track, you have the tail wagging the dog. On this basis you cannot blame the Louis family for taking the money and getting their feet in the traps ready for the off. When you have upstart riders dictating the way today’s sport is run rather than adapting themselves and bikes to track conditions and consequently ruling the roost why would any right minded invidual continue to underwrite financially a business which is largely out of the control of the owner. Chapman has history on subject of rider rebellion and with the likes of Rory able to influence others and in doing so bringing dissent to the sport without repercussions sums up why as an owner you should be ertified. Sadly this sport has changed irrevocably and those days of local loyalty from the top with real characters who have charisma in the sport are but a distant memory. Ipswich and Suffolk Speedway will never be the same. Today that door closed.