British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

3 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I would say its a case of great minds thinking alike but I know beerhut :rofl: and you wouldnt want to think like him everyday :P

I'll take that as a given.

Having said that being an Essex (Chelmsford) based Poole and now lamented Lakeside Supporter I can't say I feel overly comfortable corresponding with someone who may only be 40 miles or so up the road with your somewhat possibly strange and unusual interests :D

By the way I was a die hard Hackney Hawks Fan from my mid teens in 1970 until demise. I only lived less than a mile from Waterden Road. For me the most competitive and hated team were in fact the Witches when we raced against them. There was always a strong will to beat them more than anybody with great racers like John Louis - Davey's electric gating. Man never saw anyone who could gate as fast as that guy could. Always brought a good core of support along and also enjoyed visiting Foxhall for away matches. Much happier days for the sport in some way.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I'll take that as a given.

Having said that being an Essex (Chelmsford) based Poole and now lamented Lakeside Supporter I can't say I feel overly comfortable corresponding with someone who may only be 40 miles or so up the road with your somewhat possibly strange and unusual interests :D

By the way I was a die hard Hackney Hawks Fan from my mid teens in 1970 until demise. I only lived less than a mile from Waterden Road. For me the most competitive and hated team were in fact the Witches when we raced against them. There was always a strong will to beat them more than anybody with great racers like John Louis - Davey's electric gating. Man never saw anyone who could gate as fast as that guy could. Always brought a good core of support along and also enjoyed visiting Foxhall for away matches. Much happier days for the sport in some way.

So was I Steve from the same season ( 1970 ) until 1996 and I also live in Essex ( How we miss our nights of "Traxcitement" at the Wick ah ? ) and ditto on the Witches memories who more years than I care to remember did the bloody double on us and were hated as you say by the Hackney management and fans  ! ! ;) John Berry was also a complete pain in the arse to boot . Tiger Louis was invincible at home AND at Waterden Road , Shrimp Davey almost the same  . Such is the state of the sport in UK they are now are my nearest club .  I must however admit I went there last season and was very impressed . Almost every clubs facilities and track declined since the 1970s but not here . Vastly improved stadium , facilities , and track and racing with friendly atmosphere and the anti away fan vibe long gone . 

Well done to them , hope to make a few trips there next season and wish them every success in Premiership , even if they are the old 'nemy !! :nono: :rolleyes:

Edited by Goldhawk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

So was I Steve from the same season ( 1970 ) until 1996 and I also live in Essex ( How we miss our nights of "Traxcitement" at the Wick ah ? ) and ditto on the Witches memories who more years than I care to remember did the bloody double on us and were hated as you say by the Hackney management and fans  ! ! ;) John Berry was also a complete pain in the arse to boot . Tiger Louis was invincible at home AND at Waterden Road , Shrimp Davey almost the same  . Such is the state of the sport in UK they are now are my nearest club .  I must however admit I went there last season and was very impressed . Almost every clubs facilities and track declined since the 1970s but not here . Vastly improved stadium , facilities , and track and racing with friendly atmosphere and the anti away fan vibe long gone . 

Well done to them , hope to make a few trips there next season and wish them every success in Premiership , even if they are the old 'nemy !! :nono: :rolleyes:

I kind of kept quiet about the fact we struggled to beat them more often than not which perhaps led to us hating them (in a jealous kind of way).

Funny though that it became a bit of a standing joke what good old Len Silver threw at us in the way of his so called marquee signings. Will I ever forget the great Finn Thomsen - Could be brilliant one ride and crap in the other 3 and he was supposed to be our number one. But always remember Bengt Jansen and the sadly early lost Gary Middleton and those riders who should have retired long before they did in Jackie Biggs - Jimmy Gooch - Les Mgillvray.

Sorry for the nostalgia Witches fans but we did  enjoy those days of the Witches even if they did have a nasty habit of beating us. Must get down to Ipswich this  season as has been far to long and for max 45 mile drive and the promise of half decent facilities seems too good an offer to miss. Sounds much better than a windy/cold night at exposed Area Essex which indeed seemed in a time warp from the fiftees/sixtees although still sadly missed as what was my nearest track. As for Rye House - Least said the better I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Ah the good old days.....

Wonder how many of today's riders could cope with machinery and tracks of the golden era...?

Very few but and hardly expect them to relate to an era of no mobile/iphomes/computer/modern technology. We/they didn't know any different in those days. How guys commuted to and from POL/SWE/DK/UK I  will never know with all travel arrangements/hotels etc. Riders arriving in old cars/vans with bikes towed on small trailers. Recently saw an old Golden helmet meeting article on Youtube recently  on Peter Collin and Michael Lee. Where would you see top stars arrive at the track driving an old motor towing a bike on the back of a trailer. Nostalgic days

There was a kind of innocence about it all but all tried their level best to entertain us. Now its a different World of Kevlars and bikes decked out in local sponsors logos. Sport kind of moved on in one way but stadia hasn't in most cases. Except POL and the NSS of course.

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Of course there could be a conspiracy theory on this whole Buster thing.

If Buster had not taken over both Ips/Pet then chances are maybe only 5 clubs would have been willing to stay in Prem as both Som/Leic wanted to drop down, probably & mainly due to losses and not race night of choice. Meaning Prem would have been in effect buggered. Buster buying into both clubs on no doubt some deferred payment scheme would allow a 7 team Prem thus also keeping a top League and also not losing TV rights.

Now it is said Buster tends to name his team late and into the new year. Could it be that he is waiting for the other 4 teams to mop up the riders they want at whatever going rate the riders want or teams will pay, knowing that come the new year if they are done and dusted the riders left will have less bargaining power and he can then dictate terms more favorably to him for those guys not yet fixed up but who will  start becoming more desperate to do so.

No doubt he will protect his first love KL with Lambert and whoever he wants there, but when you think about it maybe not so daft a thought ??

As said that is of course just a conspiracy theory ;)

I do hope for both Ips/Pet that some decent riders are signed and announced sooner rather than later as it will also prove that such a theory is utter crap. Plus all of us want to see competitive teams and racing.

I think you are spot on.  Normally we know our team by now so people can purchase season tickets based on the team. 

I know if I owned King’s Lynn and Peterborough and Ipswich I’d have my best team for Ipswich and have great pleasure in giving Lynn a poor team. 

Normally I can’t wait til the new season.  Not this year.  It seems we have sold our soul to the devil 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I think you are spot on.  Normally we know our team by now so people can purchase season tickets based on the team. 

I know if I owned King’s Lynn and Peterborough and Ipswich I’d have my best team for Ipswich and have great pleasure in giving Lynn a poor team. 

Normally I can’t wait til the new season.  Not this year.  It seems we have sold our soul to the devil 

And lose a fortune in the process....

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I am afraid I totally agree. That unique identity that made Ipswich special with a rural feel and grass roots challenger riders who made good and gained respect from the rest of the league as they travelled and battled hard. Suffolk riders that made the Witches what they were and no real glamour stars until the latter years. Even those world class riders that joined the club were adopted by the good folk of Suffolk and made welcome and were appreciated. Good local support with riders you could identify with and at least Ipswich was independent. That has all gone as the club has been sold down the line as a commodity and that is how the new owner will view his investment. Don’t believe the rhetoric it is nothing more than a commercial opportunity that if it does not work out will be dropped like a hot potato. Let’s hope that fans do not rue the decision of those you thought you could trust.

• Like 2

Seeing our riders getting fixed up elsewhere the lack of news from Foxhall is both frustrating and worrying. In recent years our side has been named by now. 

I seem to recall Buster isn’t a great lover of season Tickets at Lynn, will the same apply at Foxhall and The Showground ?

I'm a bit late to the party, the news broke whilst I was playing taxi to my mum while dad was in Colchester general doing his Lazarus impression again.

I'm not sure what I think about this to be honest, I know I don't feel completely comfortable but I don't know why. Maybe it's because of a fear of change, the Louis' have been in charge for all of my speedway watching career at Ipswich.

I didn't mind it when we were part of the second league, heck I don't really care what league we are in as long as we are running so it's not that, I don't know, maybe it is a loss of identity in a way.

No idea who I want to see in the team, I do have some ideas of who I don't want to see though (but won't name them!)

• Like 1

You'll be fine, Chris Louis still in charge. And anyways Buster isn't Norfolk born! 

Ah, I don't worry about all that Norfolk/Suffolk thing....we hail from London (and holiday in Norfolk every year) :D

I just hope they haven't forgotten that the crap sides they put out in our last couple of elite league days almost finished the club with crowds dropping below the 500 mark.

It's starting to feel like the bad old days of waiting until after Christmas only to see a couple of dodgy Poles named in an uninspiring side. 

I'm generally fearful how weak we'll be. 

Hope I'm proved wrong.