British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

It will leave the likes of Poole BV and Wolves adrift and will hasten their sale.

The bspa are clinging to the wreckage of ‘Elite’ speedway where most of us know it’s going to be CL standard across the board very soon.

The riders then need to decide what’s in it for them and faced with one league it could result in mass retirements as it won’t pay if they want to remain full time.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Arch Stanton - that's bang on in my humble opinion as a non Witch. I think both Ipswich and Peterborough would be better in CL; especially when you consider the more competitive CL set up, which despite losing Workington (sadly) has 2 new and positive recruits in my team Birmingham and also Eastbourne.

My views are-:

The thought of a 14 team CL with Ipswich and Peterborough in it and with Workington still going plus the 2 newcomers would be as near as "salivating in anticipation" as we have had in League Speedway for a decade or so.

I can't help and think and fear that a 7 team PL is simply not going to work, I just hope BT Sport stick around though as surely the penny has got to click at some point - a 16 - 18 Team League (combining CL and PL) home and away once each with 40 point limit, no doubling up and telling the Poles and Swedes that we will be racing 7 days a week so that Sunday / Tuesday tracks can be part of a BRITISH LEAGUE. Who knows we may even get some decent Sponsors back!

Why shouldn't a 7-team Premiership work when its worked fine in Poland and Sweden?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

a 16 - 18 Team League (combining CL and PL) home and away once each with 40 point limit, no doubling up and telling the Poles and Swedes that we will be racing 7 days a week so that Sunday / Tuesday tracks can be part of a BRITISH LEAGUE. Who knows we may even get some decent Sponsors back!

Hear Hear! It was what I was hoping might come out of the latest AGM. Quite how the BSPA imagine their "actions and decisions" at the AGM will attract a new generation of fans ( or even get a considerable number of ex-fans back ) in 2019.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if Louis trys to regain control of the club from Chapman in the coming months. 

Certainly this move back up is not working out as alot of us would have hoped.

I think there is a lot of unneccessary worry at the moment

Yes the Buster PR style (ie often none with the odd minimal effort) is difficult to get used to but rather that than announce prematurely

I dont see the team being greatly adrift of the pack as others are predicting

We will have speedway and it will be at a higher level than recent years too. No reason to think the entertainment wont be as least as good either

Relax people - you might actually still enjoy it! :t:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Why shouldn't a 7-team Premiership work when its worked fine in Poland and Sweden?

I hope it does work but Poland and Sweden have very different models.

Poland has average crowds in 5 figures, many 10 x what most PL / CL Teams get and TV Funding at least 10 x what PL Teams get and a fixed race day (Sunday occasional Friday) that lends itself to home/away very much like soccer and that mentality is ingrained in Polish supporters. Sweden is very similar with crowds closer to 3-5000 but largely fixed night home/away model

UK remains a 7 day a week and home meeting every week mentality for so many fans, rightly or wrongly is personal opinion.

I'd rather my team ride 13-15 matches and make money / break even that run 20-25 and lose a stack on 10 of them. I think a 1 League with 16 teams would suit more .

Best of luck to The Pirates in 2019, Speedway is more important to me than any tribal issues.

Can anyone imagine John Berry ever selling up to the owner of Kings Lynn back in the day. There would have been riots in the streets of Ipswich :D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Can anyone imagine John Berry ever selling up to the owner of Kings Lynn back in the day. There would have been riots in the streets of Ipswich :D

It couldve been worse he couldve sold to Chris Shears........ oh hang on :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

Because its the UK 

And I doubt one man owns 3 of the 7 teams in Poland 

7 minutes ago, Haza said:

precisely its a complete farce the other countries must be peeing themselves over the UK  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haza said:

Look up Mike Parker then  I think at one time he was involved with 13 clubs and without him there would probably be no speedway in this country today

• Like 4

It’s obviously not ideal but it is what it is. We all love Speedway racing otherwise we wouldn’t be on here, so the only thing you can do is try and put all political stuff to the back of your mind, turn up and watch four riders race each other for 15 heats of Speedway and hopefully enjoy what we see. 

Thats the way I’m going to look at it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

It’s obviously not ideal but it is what it is. We all love Speedway racing otherwise we wouldn’t be on here, so the only thing you can do is try and put all political stuff to the back of your mind, turn up and watch four riders race each other for 15 heats of Speedway and hopefully enjoy what we see. 

Thats the way I’m going to look at it. 

But that is the kind of mentality the BSPA use, oh Speedway in this country is screwed lets just bury our heads in the sand.