British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

21 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I wonder whose choice that was. Confirms who is pulling the management strings. Sad that it has reached this state. A bit like politicians no one will believe what CL and co say ever again. They sold out and let down most witches fans.

I am grateful that the louis have stayed for so long and given us stability in the last 30 years. 

I don’t blame them for selling up as I believe Chris Is hugely frustrated with the small fixture list and short sighted attitude f other promoters. 

How anyone can run a business with just 14 pay days to earn enough to get a yearly wage is beyond me. 

Just hope we have lots of good racing if we cannot have success. 

• Like 2

At least it's now clear who runs the club..... Louis is just the front man! 

To say I'm disappointed is a massive understatement. At the end of last season we had the prospect of watching the best talent this country has produced in years in Drew Kemp and now we're being served this. 

What a missed opportunity. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I am grateful that the louis have stayed for so long and given us stability in the last 30 years. 

I don’t blame them for selling up as I believe Chris Is hugely frustrated with the small fixture list and short sighted attitude f other promoters. 

How anyone can run a business with just 14 pay days to earn enough to get a yearly wage is beyond me. 

Just hope we have lots of good racing if we cannot have success. 

Good points actually especially the last line. I don’t know much about the Pole but both Louis and Hawkins are convinced he’ll soon be a crowd favourite. We know Harris is entertaining and he WILL be at Foxhall when he’s properly dialled in, and Bellego is entertaining too. King and Heeps we also know can provide good racing around Foxhall so even if the results don’t come, the entertainment will hopefully be there. 

Hopefully that will be enough as at the end of the day, sport is a results business. 

Im not impressed with the strength of the team I have to be honest, but I’ll be there for the first meeting and I’ll see how things go. 

• Like 2

It is not looking great for Ipswich but it's not always who you start with but... Will the owner bring in riders able to make a difference if needed I doubt.  A massive own goal in not bringing Scott Nicholls in, he has not even spoken to Ipswich so it looks like he will start the season without a team and that is really unfortunate. People paying more this year to see a team that really isn't much better than last year and the possibility of getting a few tonkings along the way.  

• Like 2

Just realised that

Lawson rode for Workington....
Lawson rode for Lakeside...
Harris rode for St Austell 
Harris rode for Coventry
Harris rode for Rye House...

Hope Ipswich can break the spell.... :(

At the end of the day how many team have an out and out number 1? Maybe 2, Doyle and Lambert? 

At home we'll be hard to beat with King lawson cam, 3 who can ride foxhall well and allen who every teams fans wanted as hes a hot prospect!

Harris will give 110% in every meeting.

Bellego and Pieszczek are the crowd pleasers who hopefully learn foxhall pretty quickly.

There's no team that's really that strong so lets stop being so negative until we've rode a couple of meetings 

• Like 7

Speedway may be a numbers game when putting sides together but this starting 7 certainly won’t be the finishing 7 IMHO.  Harris is on an inflated average that sees him ride at #1 - a position he has never really excelled at and there are a few riders that to find some consistency - Lawson, King (returning from injury), Bellego and Heeps (who had a very poor season at Wolves).  I can see this team dropping about 2-3 points collectively in the first month.  

A pay as you go Play Off Harris is a worthwhile signing. A guarantee pay Rye/Glasgow one isnt

Bellego as a 2nd string should be OK

Overall I dont see this team being as far off the pace as many are predicting and it should be one thats entertaining at home

Think we need to give it a chance and wait and see

A solid start to the season is vital. Given the situation I dont see a huge level of tolerance if not

• Like 5

Harris will be OK if there is sufficient grip on the outside. Saw him last year at Poole a couple of times - came into his own when the dirt moved out. Early on, when it was round the white line he struggled but later in the meeting it was edge of seat stuff.

All Ipswich need to do is ensure there is an out wide racing line and dirt for Chris to dig into.

• Like 1

All well and good having these "racers" in the side but the track must be prepared accordingly.... if it's slick and a gaters paradise then no chance of entertainment.... 

Time will tell 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

All well and good having these "racers" in the side but the track must be prepared accordingly.... if it's slick and a gaters paradise then no chance of entertainment.... 

Time will tell 

The track has been poor for a while. They’ve worked hard on the shape and IMO there’s nothing wrong with the shape whatsoever. But this is a problem that doesn’t seem exclusive to us these days. 

Plenty of fans on here have been moaning about the tracks at their clubs and the subsequent lack of entertainment, even tracks that have a reputation of always producing good racing in the past.

Louis recently said that today’s bikes have changed so much in the way they handle and perform compared to the machines he used to race, that when he’s ridden them they’re “not for him”. 

I wonder if this is a factor in the way tracks are prepared these days making them slicker and therefore easier to ride?

You also have the problem that you’ll never get 7 riders that want the track set up in the same way. Half will ask for plenty of grip and half will want it slick so what gives?

Impossible to keep everyone happy and it must be tricky trying to find the right balance. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

A pay as you go Play Off Harris is a worthwhile signing. A guarantee pay Rye/Glasgow one isnt

Bellego as a 2nd string should be OK

Overall I dont see this team being as far off the pace as many are predicting and it should be one thats entertaining at home

Think we need to give it a chance and wait and see

A solid start to the season is vital. Given the situation I dont see a huge level of tolerance if not

I agree this team is not as bad as some seem to think and will most of their home meetings.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Speedway may be a numbers game when putting sides together but this starting 7 certainly won’t be the finishing 7 IMHO.  Harris is on an inflated average that sees him ride at #1 - a position he has never really excelled at and there are a few riders that to find some consistency - Lawson, King (returning from injury), Bellego and Heeps (who had a very poor season at Wolves).  I can see this team dropping about 2-3 points collectively in the first month.  

I wouldn’t read too much in to what you saw at Wolves last year. Heeps came back last year very poorly prepared and it showed in his performances. He was also damn lucky he didn’t get the chop at Ipswich as well as Wolves and if he had, he couldn’t have had any complaints. 

I think his close relationship with those at the club kept him in a job and he was a lucky boy. 

But, we know he’s far far better than that and that first half of the season was the worst we’ve seen him in the half dozen or so years he’s been over here. 

Slowly throughout the year he got his fitness back and got himself in racing shape. It SHOULD have happened at the very beginning and he was totally unprofessional. But he got there in the end and his scoring returned to the standards we’re used to seeing and if Wolves had hung on to him (and I don’t blame them for sacking him) then they’d have seen an improvement too. 

We’re hearing that he’s taken a much better approach this winter, kept himself fit and active and that’s good to hear. We’re going to need him to be a potent force at reserve alongside Allen and I think the pair of them will forge a very good partnership down at the bottom end. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2