British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

48 minutes ago, 2ndbend said:

So who are these local riders? Please list....

That is the point, they no longer exist. Go back a few years and you had home grown local talent from the local grass track scene etc. and if you are old enough you should know them and no one needs to list them. If you are not of an age and attended in the golden years then  read a few good books about the history of Ipswich speedway and all will be revealed. Suffice to say that today you have seven individuals most of whom could not team race to save their lives and it makes you wonder why anyone bothers with league racing and simply does not hold individual meetings and the those riders linked to a club who have accumulated the most number of points try to ride as a team at the end of a season and you then have the play offs. Avoids problems with rain offs, postponements etc. And you simply have a cut off date. Of course this is far too simple to work and the BSPA will continue to live in a dream world.

Firstly I am of an age to remember when we had a team full of local riders. My mum first took me to Foxhall in 1976. Although I’ve been going to speedway for over 40 years I still remember the past but I don’t live in it. On here I read posts about how teams should be built and wonder if some posters know what is going on in speedway nowadays. On the positive side I believe the Witches will surprise a lot of you. I’ve compared the teams rider v rider and there is not a lot in it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 2ndbend said:

Firstly I am of an age to remember when we had a team full of local riders. My mum first took me to Foxhall in 1976. Although I’ve been going to speedway for over 40 years I still remember the past but I don’t live in it. On here I read posts about how teams should be built and wonder if some posters know what is going on in speedway nowadays. On the positive side I believe the Witches will surprise a lot of you. I’ve compared the teams rider v rider and there is not a lot in it.

The not a lot in it can be taken two ways.

When it comes to local riders clubs need to do things for the future and then there will be some local riders available. However everyone looks to someone else to do it and then moans when the pickings are scarce. Why does Ipswich not run competitive second halves any more or a development league side? They will host a youth round this year because they were forced too (along with all top flight clubs). Who was the last local rider that Ipswich genuinely went out of their way to help out?

The under 19 meeting was a great meeting. More BSPA meetings should be at Foxhall. Plenty enough room for the visiting fans and even half full wpuld generate a good atmosphere 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

When it comes to local riders clubs need to do things for the future and then there will be some local riders available. However everyone looks to someone else to do it and then moans when the pickings are scarce. Why does Ipswich not run competitive second halves any more or a development league side? They will host a youth round this year because they were forced too (along with all top flight clubs). Who was the last local rider that Ipswich genuinely went out of their way to help out?

Drew Kemp who has been riding pre meeting and second halves every week as a 14 year old   Danny king has also been very helpful and worked with drew on setting up his clutch. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Drew Kemp who has been riding pre meeting and second halves every week as a 14 year old   Danny king has also been very helpful and worked with drew on setting up his clutch. 

Certainly commendable but lets be honest Drew was already good as a 14 year old, if he was average / bit better than average would Ipswich have been so accommodating? Its not a jab at the Witches alone, the majority of clubs wash their hands of any level of responsibility towards the future of the sport.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly commendable but lets be honest Drew was already good as a 14 year old, if he was average / bit better than average would Ipswich have been so accommodating? Its not a jab at the Witches alone, the majority of clubs wash their hands of any level of responsibility towards the future of the sport.

Last season Rye House Lakeside and Eastbourne regularly had 150 and 250 pre meeting racing.

With 2 of those clubs gone who will continue this vital experience for these young boys.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2019 at 11:28 PM, Susans1 said:

Being a Ipswich fan myself I would ask aII of the people that it would be a good idea to stop all these negative posts regarding the team etc and save any negative posts until the season has started then we will all be in a better position to judge based on the teams performance.

Totally agree with you !

• Like 1

Well that's totally killed this thread well and truly !

Seems like there's nothing 'positive to say' here as there hasn't been a post since last Wednesday............................................................................

• Like 1

I think it reflects the lack of enthusiasm and interest in UK speedway at the moment. The last AGM, at an acknowledged "crisis" time in the sport here, took no positive actions whatsoever. Why then expect supporters to be upbeat for the future? Six weeks or so before the season starts the same problems that existed at the end of last season still continue to bedevil the UK. Other than a stranglehold gained on the PL by one promoter, there is little to report. The only "excitement" left is the lineup of the KL Stars team. And who is excited by that?

I think or hope that most speedway fans feel that changes need to be made to make the sport more interesting, how do people feel about having a transfer window half way through the season ( similar to football) that would certainly add a bit of extra interest to the sport.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Susans1 said:

I think or hope that most speedway fans feel that changes need to be made to make the sport more interesting, how do people feel about having a transfer window half way through the season ( similar to football) that would certainly add a bit of extra interest to the sport.

You're kidding right :rofl:

• Like 3