British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

Has James Sarjeant ever achieved a 3 point PL average?

He couldn’t get an average when he did well as a “fast track reserve” and I can’t see that he ever achieved a 3 point average after; he’s always been allocated the 3 point minimum.

9 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

For a sport that is reliant on averages... says it all about the 'sport' when the governing body can't even add up 7 figures correctly :nono:

Decimal places on an abacus are much more complicated. Even worse with a handful of pebbles.

So fellow fans, would you like to stay put in this league, or move back down?  With only 6 different teams visiting it has been a bit of the same.   

• Like 1

First half of the season was great. Fresh teams, fresh faces smoothly run meetings with no/few falls and an early finish with closer racing plus of course a team that was riding above itself. But now I am unsure which league will be the better but you would assume there will be radical changes to the structure (as every year :))

42 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So fellow fans, would you like to stay put in this league, or move back down?  With only 6 different teams visiting it has been a bit of the same.   

For me I’d want to 100% stay in the top league. The standard of racing far better and the gulf in class between the top of teams and reserves makes for much better entertainment and close racing imo in premiership than championship.

Foxhall is a tricky track with the grip and how tight you turn - not conducive to 2.00 national league wobblers imo, whereas is the likes of say a James sarjeant pops out a heat leader could conceivably race closely and team ride with him at this level with his skill set.

id like to see a few more riders back next season, if for example Niels and or maybe zagar could be tempted, Chris holder has expressed a desire to ride here again next season that should make for a more even spread of top boys for everyone.

we should have the whole winter for team building rather than be on the back foot making a late decision to change leagues so hopefully be able to grab some better top end firepower!

would like to see Heeps, Allen and KP back from this years team. Niels would be fantastic too and then see, Poole and Swindon aren’t going to be able to keep all of their top end strength especially if holder senior is on the way back to Poole so should be a bit of a move around the league and riders available.

all if buts and maybes I know but regardless I enjoy watching better riders personally. I also think we have to include drew kemp at 7 next season which will allow for more points at the top of building

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

For me I’d want to 100% stay in the top league. The standard of racing far better and the gulf in class between the top of teams and reserves makes for much better entertainment and close racing imo in premiership than championship.

Foxhall is a tricky track with the grip and how tight you turn - not conducive to 2.00 national league wobblers imo, whereas is the likes of say a James sarjeant pops out a heat leader could conceivably race closely and team ride with him at this level with his skill set.

id like to see a few more riders back next season, if for example Niels and or maybe zagar could be tempted, Chris holder has expressed a desire to ride here again next season that should make for a more even spread of top boys for everyone.

we should have the whole winter for team building rather than be on the back foot making a late decision to change leagues so hopefully be able to grab some better top end firepower!

would like to see Heeps, Allen and KP back from this years team. Niels would be fantastic too and then see, Poole and Swindon aren’t going to be able to keep all of their top end strength especially if holder senior is on the way back to Poole so should be a bit of a move around the league and riders available.

all if buts and maybes I know but regardless I enjoy watching better riders personally. I also think we have to include drew kemp at 7 next season which will allow for more points at the top of building

What about more teams?  Could do with a few more, but don't see where they would come form, and can't see panthers staying up, I think Buster has already reported big loses. 

• Like 1

If they are going to tinker again then they need to have a 12 team top flight, maybe with a 42 or team building structure. 

From the top of my head

1. Poole

2. Swindon

3. Belle vue 

4. Sheffield

5. Glasgow

6. Ipswich 

7. Kings Lynn

8. Peterborough 

9. Wolverhampton 

10. Leicester 

11. Birmingham 

12. Somerset

The rest of the CL needs to be downgraded to the level of the NL with some form of regional split.

And if team building was now off the top of my head without seeing any averages so unsure if it would fit...

1. Iversen 

2. Heeps

3. Jensen

4. Covatti

5. Mechelsen

6. Allen

7. Kemp

Edited by Falcon1983
What does that team add up to 40?

Think they would need to lower points limit to about 40 to make sure an even spread of some good riders 

5 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

If they get 12 clubs they could rebrand it to THE SUPER 12 loud, noisy, crashes, bit of the extreme

They could, but I don't think they have a clue how to market anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

If they get 12 clubs they could rebrand it to THE SUPER 12 loud, noisy, crashes, bit of the extreme

And dump the rest into the NL :nono:

Edited by Bald Bloke

6 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

And dump the rest into the NL :nono:

What would you suggest?

Just a few issues with UK Speedway

1. Its not a professional sport

2. Not enough riders to cover the amount of teams, when supply doesn't keep up with demand then there are problems

3. Not enough home grown riders coming through although its improving

So having one top league one professional-ish or semi pro league of 12 is good IMO 

Regionalising the NL in a North/South with more clubs taking part should create more opportunities for the younger riders

I'm not sure why BSPA dont hold 4/5/6 events per year of full day learning sessions ran by current and ex riders and physically write to grasstracker, motocross riders, kids at club level road racing, or even the ones who compete in BSB motostar and junior super stock classes trying to get these guys to make the transition to speedway

I'm sure it would get at least half a dozen into the NL especially with the road racing as it costs families 20/30k per year to race and they dont get points money at least with speedway it offers that and if you have ability it's easier to get the money in grand prix and poland and costs less than forging a career into MotoGP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

What would you suggest?

Just a few issues with UK Speedway

1. Its not a professional sport

2. Not enough riders to cover the amount of teams, when supply doesn't keep up with demand then there are problems

3. Not enough home grown riders coming through although its improving

So having one top league one professional-ish or semi pro league of 12 is good IMO 

Regionalising the NL in a North/South with more clubs taking part should create more opportunities for the younger riders

I'm not sure why BSPA dont hold 4/5/6 events per year of full day learning sessions ran by current and ex riders and physically write to grasstracker, motocross riders, kids at club level road racing, or even the ones who compete in BSB motostar and junior super stock classes trying to get these guys to make the transition to speedway

I'm sure it would get at least half a dozen into the NL especially with the road racing as it costs families 20/30k per year to race and they dont get points money at least with speedway it offers that and if you have ability it's easier to get the money in grand prix and poland and costs less than forging a career into MotoGP

blimey steady on falcon you are talking some good sense there. two leagues I think is the way forward as even a few premier league fans are complaining at the lack of different opposition and as a national league supporter I am fed up with our riders missing matches for us to ride in the championship. north south divide also sounds good if you can get enough teams to take part. I wonder if anyone above is listening though.

• Like 1

Badly is right that points limit would have to be 40 so perhaps if we select a pool of 16 british young lions they can go and stay at no.7 on a 2 to 3 average all season depending on ability.  4 of the 16 acting as injury cover, sure someone will come up with a list of candidates. 

NL North

1. Berwick

2. Edinburgh 

3  Newcastle

4. Redcar

5. Scunthorpe 

6. Belle Vue

7. Stoke

NL South 

1. Eastbourne 

2. Cradley Heath

3. Isle of Wight

4. Kent

5. Mildenhall

6. Plymouth 

7. Coventry

Could be branded the Northern/Southern "Super 7" series 

Home and Away twice 

Top 4 from each league progress to play offs so winner North plays 4th in South and so on...

One cup competition with all clubs combined also

Very much a less is more

• Like 1